The Student Room Group

What are the simplest forms of these ratios?

Checking if I'm correct, what are the simplest forms of these ratios and how did you work it out?

0.2:0.24:0.3
0.08:0.4:0.1
3.2:5
Original post by Bryz
Checking if I'm correct, what are the simplest forms of these ratios and how did you work it out?

What did you do?
Reply 2
Original post by m4ths/maths247
What did you do?

I have only done the first on ei put, and I x100 to all of them so it was

0.20:0.24:0.30 then I divided them all by 2. And left it at that
Reply 3
How would you work out 2/9:1 in its simplest form?
Reply 4
How would you work out 2/9:1 in its simplest form?
I am also really struggling to work out these:

2/9:1
2/3:1/2:1
3/4:1:1/2

I am really bad at maths, could someone please show the working out for these+answers, please i would be so grateful, I have been stuck on these for hours!
Reply 5
is no one seriously going to help?
Original post by Bryz
is no one seriously going to help?

Hi
I'm not sure if you are in the UK or not but its the school holidays and its about 25-30 degrees outside. Try to be a little patient and someone can help. :smile:

Simplest form will generally be as integer values so converting the decimals to integers would be correct.

You also have examples in the form 1:n or n:1. You can simply multiply through by the LCM of the fraction again to get integer values.
Reply 7
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Hi
I'm not sure if you are in the UK or not but its the school holidays and its about 25-30 degrees outside. Try to be a little patient and someone can help. :smile:

Simplest form will generally be as integer values so converting the decimals to integers would be correct.

You also have examples in the form 1:n or n:1. You can simply multiply through by the LCM of the fraction again to get integer values.

Cheers bud, but I didn't quite really get that, could you do an example with the working out of one of the fraction+interger fractions.
Reply 8
Original post by Bryz
Cheers bud, but I didn't quite really get that, could you do an example with the working out of one of the fraction+interger fractions.

Basically, as long as you multiply everything in the ratio by the same number, the ratio is the same. So 1:3 is equivalent to 2:6, and to 5:15, and to 100:300 etc.

Since you're aiming for ratios such that each term is a whole number and there are no common factors, a systematic (if inefficient) way of doing it is to work out how many times you need to add together one of the terms in order to make a whole number, then multiply every term by that number, repeating until every term is a whole number.
If that doesn't quite make sense:

Spoiler

That's the non-mathematical/brute force method - if you want more details just ask.

The principle for fractions is exactly the same as for decimals, only they've made it easier to spot what number to multiply by to give a whole number.
Reply 9
Original post by MK_
Basically, as long as you multiply everything in the ratio by the same number, the ratio is the same. So 1:3 is equivalent to 2:6, and to 5:15, and to 100:300 etc.

Since you're aiming for ratios such that each term is a whole number and there are no common factors, a systematic (if inefficient) way of doing it is to work out how many times you need to add together one of the terms in order to make a whole number, then multiply every term by that number, repeating until every term is a whole number.
If that doesn't quite make sense:

Spoiler

That's the non-mathematical/brute force method - if you want more details just ask.

The principle for fractions is exactly the same as for decimals, only they've made it easier to spot what number to multiply by to give a whole number.

It made it slightly more easier to understand, but I still don't know how to approach the fractions!
Reply 10
Original post by Bryz
It made it slightly more easier to understand, but I still don't know how to approach the fractions!

Well what could you multiply 2/9 by to give a whole number?
If you can't see that, think about more common fractions like 1/2 or 1/4 - what do you need to multiply each of them by to give a whole number? Then apply that pattern to the other fractions.

Quick Reply

Latest