Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    LJ when 2 experinced cyclists tell you, that you can not gain high levles of fitness on an excersize bike, and you yourself have no real experince, dont you think you should swallow your pride and realise that you can not be right 100% of the time.

There are areas i dont know much about but cycling happens to be one i know lots about.
    maybe, but you obviously dont know much about exercise prgrammes which was the point of this thread and so you have neatly avoided the issue by talking about cycling outdoors

ReputationRep:
    you are also not 100% right all of the time

i managed to increase stamina a hell of alot using indoor machines and gives a noticable difference when doing it 'for real'
    you may know alot about cycling, that doesnt mean you know alot about fitness or cardiology

ReputationRep:
    LJ when 2 experinced cyclists tell you, that you can not gain high levles of fitness on an excersize bike, and you yourself have no real experince, dont you think you should swallow your pride and realise that you can not be right 100% of the time.

There are areas i dont know much about but cycling happens to be one i know lots about.
    I do not claim to be an expert in cycling or anything in particular, but what I do know is that you have gone completey off topic - your first post was off topic and you have managed to fill the thread with crap. The main purpose of this thread was to find a training prgramme for an exercise bike - no-one asked how often you cycle or how good real cycling is, so why don't you stop now? I have no pride to swallow in this matter, just a plonker to get rid of.

ReputationRep:
    Scarlet, im going to bed now because i have an exam tomorow, but tomorow evening when i have some time free, i will answer the original post! The same princiapls apply as to proper cycling, so i can easily answer it, just its already late, i dont want to spend a further 10min on here, i really need to sleep!

P.S. They key to fitness is interval training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelee-jublee)
    I have no pride to swallow in this matter, just a plonker to get rid of.
    Then go and you will solve your problem :p:

ReputationRep:
    that was unecessary i feel

ReputationRep:
    Scarlet, im going to bed now because i have an exam tomorow, but tomorow evening when i have some time free, i will answer the original post! The same princiapls apply as to proper cycling, so i can easily answer it, just its already late, i dont want to spend a further 10min on here, i really need to sleep!

P.S. They key to fitness is interval training.
    So you spent nearly 20 minutes chatting absolute crap and wasting all of our time, when you claim you can answer the original question! What an arse.

(Original post by lovelee-jublee)
    So you spent nearly 20 minutes chatting absolute crap and wasting all of our time, when you claim you can answer the original question! What an arse.
    he also admitted defeat
    The same princiapls apply as to proper cycling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    he also admitted defeat
    True, but he could have said that in the first place rather than winding us all up and avoiding the original question.

tut some people :rolleyes: so far up themselves.

we've also strayed off topic but shh

ReputationRep:
    This seems a fairly good intro...
    'Level 1' and 'threshold' are references to the percentage of maximum heartrate that you sustain. Level 1 should be easy, threshold is on the verge of anaerobic exercise so is fairly extreme effort.

If you sit on an turbo trainer in a living for 4 hrs of level 1 , then you will need to disconnect your brain in order to complete the session. It's altogether more sensible to set a time limit (45m - 1hr) for you to work towards. Next break your session into warm up - session proper - cool down. A 10 min warm up and down should be an essential part of every training session.

So, what is your aim for the session? Is it a gentle recovery ride spinning low gears? Or is a substitute for a 3 hr Sunday ride? Are you going to be doing intervals or not? Try to work out a vague session plan before you start. By doing 5 x 2min threshold intervals with 8 mins recovery in between you already have a 1hr session. The time will fly by much quicker if you break your session up into manageable, focused chunks.

Make sure that you have plenty of fluid on hand. You will be sweating more than usual so keep drinking at regular intervals. If you are going to be turbo training for any length of time then consider adding carbohydrate powder to your drink

ReputationRep:
    Obviously to train most effectively you need a heartrate monitor but you can approximate the levels. e.g. 1 = easy spinning, threshold = flat out max effort. There are 5 levels.

First things first, how fit are you now and do you have something that you want to achieve by using an exercise bike? once you know what you want to do, then cycling people ^ can probably give you some more structured advice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes interval training can be effective, but it all depends really what your main goal is for using the bike.
    I have an exercise bike myself and I find it a great benefit for keeping myself fit out of season (I play hockey) and also another issue is that I don't have enough time to go cycling for hours outside and also there is not really anywhere interesting to cycle in my area. When I go away I do alot of cycling outdoors, but as I do not enjoying jogging and find that due to my biomechanically inefficient running technique, I do not manage to gain enough benefits from running, and seeing as though cycling is what I enjoy, I bought an exercise bike.

There are many different ways of training on one, depending on what benefit you wish to get. I do find interval training very good to do as it enables you to train both your aerobic (endurance) and anaerobic (short bursts of speed) systems, which is particularly relevant to my sport.

For weight loss, you probably want to be working aerobically for at least 20mins at around 70% of your maximum heart rate (220-your age).
    Here is a good article about fat burning zones:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fatburn.htm

For building muscle you want to work anaerobically at around 80-90% of your maximum heart rate.

For endurance, work aerobically, same as the fat burning %.

To start with, don't worry about trying to reach a specific distance or amount of calories, I think its more important to decided what you want to work on and work within that zone, using heart rates as reference. You can also use your heart rate recovery as a measure of fitness you are gaining by seeing how quickly it takes your heart rate to return to the resting rate after exercise.

I do 2, 30min sessions a day. I warm up for 5 mins gradually increasing the intensity (you should double your heart rate in a warm up) and then its prob best to then stretch. I then do 30 mins non stop cycling and depending on what I'm using the session for (I do one for endurance and then one interval training) for endurance I cycle within my aerobic threshold for the whole time, gradually increasing intensity to try and provide some overload, for interval training, I do periods of low intensity interspersed with periods of short full out speed cycling and mid length periods of medium intensity, to enable me to train bothe my aerobic and anaerobic systems.

Cool down afterwards! I do 5 mins of gradual decreasing intensity, until my heart rate has recovered, then I stretch, this avoids muscle stiffness and soreness!

When exercising it is important to show progression, so say you've been exercising a week and now the levels you've been doing are becoming to easy, work out at a higher resistance to continue to improve your fitness and avoid plateauing.

Also make sure you work at a level suitable to your current fitness level when you start, don't jump in and overdo it straight away as that is how you can get injuries.

Exercise bikes are a very good work out for your cardiovasular endurance and good for toning your legs - but don't neglect your upperbody or you'll have toned legs and not arms and tummy, combine with sit ups, press ups etc and also remember for motivation set yourself realistic goals, which can be measured so that you can see improvement, also tv and music can act as a good motivational and distraction aid if you're beginnning to struggle!

Check out:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/siteindx.htm

A great resource for all things to do with sport and exercise, training, different types of fitness, etc and very easy to understand as well!

I hope i've been of some help, I'm going to study sport and exercise science in sept so its a great passion of mine!

ReputationRep:
    your hardly going to be building muscle by cycling anaerobically

ReputationRep:
    well, you will be improving muscle strength and tone by overloading and working at a high resistance. Muscle fibre hypertrophy is obtained by resistance training and so i'm sure you must be able to some of this benefit by using a high resistance setting properly on an exercise bike.

ReputationRep:
    OMG that person on the other page, you are such an idiot! How would i admitt defeat by saying the same principals apply? Cycling is still a much better form of excersize hten an excersize bike, thats like saying a ford feista is as fast as a porsche because the same princiapal applies, they both have internal combustion engines.

LJ i am not forecing you to stay here, so how can i be wasteing your time? sureley it is oyu wasteing your time, if you choose to be here.

As for the OP training goes a bit like this, you need to do base miles to get up to a resonable levle of fitness, you basicly just need to miles done, at a good steady pace, just spend time on the *shudders* excersize bike.

Once you do this you should concentrate on long rides, over 3 hours 5 hours is good, there is no point of telling you this because you wont do it, there is no wya oyu will spend that long on an excersize bike, people train on a bike so long because the gain a pashion for cycling, i never heard of a pashion for excersize bikes.

Your best freind is interval training, seeing as you wont do the long rides that you need, the only way you will be bale to gain fitness past the base levle is interval training, sprint at 90% of max for 3min then take it easy for 5min then repeat, do so for an hour.

You should be doing 3 intrval training sessions and 1 endurance a week, tohu like i said before, you wont do the endurance.

You also need to eat a lot of carbs especialy after excersize.

A large part of the reason excersize bikes are so unrealistic is because as you pedal faster resistance in an excersize bike goes up in a linear way, when you pedal twice as fast, it is twice as hard to do.

On a real bike, because of air resistance, when you pedal twice as fast, resistance rises exponentialy, so that if you double oyur speed resistance goes up by a factor of 4.

An excersize bike is basicly resistance training against the motion of pedaling, and as such, like i never dennied, will definatly build a certain levle of fitness, you could even go as far as saying it builds a reasonable levle of fitness, however, it does not build even nearly as high levle of fitness as cycling and half of this reason is beause like i said, the OP is not going to sit on the bike for 4 hours, if oyu have an excersize bike you wont use it as effectivly as a real bike even if it was theorticly possible to.

If you look at people who run and cycle as a sport, they are in great shape, you can see it just looking at them, you cna see they are in far better shape them the people using the cardio machines in the gym.

Those machines are basicly a way of trying to split up excersize and sport, it is for people who want to try and excersize but get out of doing sport.

if you are going to call me an idiot please learn to spell first.
    corrections: admit,that’s, principal, forcing, surely, wasting, reasonable basically, exercise, passion, friend, interval, though, especially, exponentially,
    pedalling, denied, defiantly, effectively, theoretically

i'm Dyslexic and even i can spell better than that.

oh and how can you go from saying exercise bikes are going to do nothing and isn't a patch on real cycling and then a little while later say it's the same after all? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    don't you think that having a dig at someone for their spelling is a bit lame when they've just contributed this thread's most useful post? Seeing as both myself and titanium have used our cycling knowledge to suggest some techniques to use to gain some benefit from an exercise bike, perhaps either you or the other tool would to add something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.