The Student Room Group

What is an ex poly and what's so bad about it??

I'm kinda new on here, and read "ex poly" quite a lot. Why are they so bad and do degrees from there have no value? Was Plymouth uni ex poly? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

An academic degree from an ex poly would be less well regarded than one from a more well respected uni, which is to be expected. And yes Plymouth is an ex poly.
An ex poly is a university that used to be a polytechnic college. They were tertiary education systems but quite often lack the power to award degrees, any degrees gained there would be awarded by an external body. Quite often their entry requirements were significantly lower than those of regular universities. Here is a list of ex poly's

Anglia Ruskin University, formerly Anglia Polytechnic (located in Cambridge and Chelmsford)

University of Brighton, formerly Brighton Polytechnic

Bournemouth University, formerly Bournemouth Polytechnic

University of Central Lancashire, formerly Lancashire Polytechnic

Coventry University, formerly Coventry Polytechnic

De Montfort University Leicester, formerly Leicester Polytechnic

University of East London, formerly Polytechnic of East London

University of Greenwich, formerly Thames Polytechnic

University of Hertfordshire, formerly Hatfield Polytechnic

University of Huddersfield, formerly Huddersfield Polytechnic

Kingston University, formerly Kingston Polytechnic

Leeds Metropolitan University, formerly Leeds Polytechnic

Liverpool John Moores University, formerly Liverpool Polytechnic

Manchester Metropolitan University, formerly Manchester Polytechnic

Middlesex University, formerly Middlesex Polytechnic

University of Northumbria at Newcastle, formerly Newcastle Polytechnic

Nottingham Trent University, formerly Trent Polytechnic (later Nottingham Polytechnic)

Oxford Brookes University, formerly Oxford Polytechnic

University of Plymouth, formerly Polytechnic South West

University of Portsmouth, formerly Portsmouth Polytechnic

Sheffield Hallam University, formerly Sheffield Polytechnic

South Bank University, formerly South Bank Polytechnic (in London)

Staffordshire University, formerly Staffordshire Polytechnic

University of Sunderland, formerly Sunderland Polytechnic

Teesside University, formerly Teesside Polytechnic

University of the West of England, formerly Bristol Polytechnic

University of West London, formerly Polytechnic of West London

University of Westminster, formerly Polytechnic of Central London and the Royal Polytechnic Institution - Regent Street

University of Wolverhampton, formerly Wolverhampton Polytechnic

There is nothing wrong with going to an ex poly uni, quite often their strengths lay where big uni's have a downfall. Hands on courses and teaching courses are quite often better than those from standard uni's because the place more importance on placement and experience, where as somewhere like a red brick uni would place more importance on course work and exams.

Liverpool John moores is an ex poly and it's a fantastic uni especially for teaching degrees.
(edited 10 years ago)
Polytechnics were higher education institutions designed to teach vocational skills to those unsuited to an academic, university education. During the second half of the 20th century, they were abolished and most became universities. They have a reputation for being 'second-class' universities, with less academic rigour, focussing on easier courses. TSR is particularly snobbish about them.
Reply 4
Polytechnics traditionally offered courses that were of a 'lower' standard eg BTEC Diplomas and tended to be less academic and more 'hands on' in their teaching (sandwich courses, a year in industry as part of the course etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_%28United_Kingdom%29

There is usually some sort of rivalry between the institutions in cities/towns that have a Uni and an old Poly, University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent Uni (ex Poly).
Reply 5
All UK polytechnics were able to become universities from 1992. Prior to that the polytechnics used to focus a bit more on applied practical subjects, whereas the 'old universities' used to focus more on academic subjects. Since then the subject divide has blurred, with most polytechnics teaching a huge range of subjects including academic subjects.

But for various reasons it is often more competitive to get into the 'old universities' which tends to mean that offers to get into the former polytechnics are somewhat easier.

It would be grossly unfair to say that degrees from an ex poly are "bad" or "have no value". But because graduate employers are looking for the most competitive graduates, there probably is some correlation between those who get those jobs, and those who had competitive enough academics to get into the more competitive universities. That distinction may increase with the introduction of university fees, as students will be looking to gain what they perceive to be the most valuable degree for their money.

Yes Plymouth University is an ex poly. A full list is on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)
Reply 6
[video="youtube;I8pjC9HgKV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pjC9HgKV4[/video]

'Being a poly, oh my golly'
Reply 7
Original post by virologygirl
An ex poly is a university that used to be a polytechnic college. They were tertiary education systems but quite often lack the power to award degrees, any degrees gained there would be awarded by an external body. Quite often their entry requirements were significantly lower than those of regular universities. Here is a list of ex poly's

Anglia Ruskin University, formerly Anglia Polytechnic (located in Cambridge and Chelmsford)

Nottingham Trent University, formerly Trent Polytechnic (later Nottingham Polytechnic)

University of Westminster, formerly Polytechnic of Central London and the Royal Polytechnic Institution - Regent Street

There is nothing wrong with going to an ex poly uni, quite often their strengths lay where big uni's have a downfall. Hands on courses and teaching courses are quite often better than those from standard uni's because the place more importance on placement and experience, where as somewhere like a red brick uni would place more importance on course work and exams.

Liverpool John moores is an ex poly and it's a fantastic uni especially for teaching degrees.

wow a quarter of them are in London alone.
Original post by peter12345
wow a quarter of them are in London alone.

Not that surprising given the size of London.
Reply 9
Original post by tengentoppa
An academic degree from an ex poly would be less well regarded than one from a more well respected uni, which is to be expected. And yes Plymouth is an ex poly.

oh :-( Does it mean, if i get a Computer science degree from Plymouth, it wouldn't have much value?? and will it affect if i want to do masters from a top uni, provided if I have 1:1?
Original post by kite29
oh :-( Does it mean, if i get a Computer science degree from Plymouth, it wouldn't have much value?? and will it affect if i want to do masters from a top uni, provided if I have 1:1?

not so much anymore. Courses at ex poly's aren't necessarily worth less than another degree. Your first is worth more than a 2:2 from any other uni, maybe not quite as much as a 1st from a red brick (depending on who's reading you application) but it's worth more than a 2:1 from a red brick. There's a very snobby image of ex poly's being an easy option but their not.
I don't think any ex poly should be regarded so lowly by people :smile:
I know that many universities have the upper hand when it comes to employability and courses, but sometimes its the atmosphere of the university that doesn't suit.

I know a number of intelligent people who studied in ex poly(s) back when they were still colleges. These people are actually much more capable than most of the people I know from regular universities! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Nothing wrong with ex poly in my opinion, a degree is a degree and if it helps you get closer to your chosen career then it's worth it.

Some are actually very good for some subjects. Like Bournemouth I saw on the news crank out many animator for high production films!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Wherever you got that list from it don't list university of Glamorgan (now university of south Wales) since that is a ex poly (they love to tell us their history), it was called Glamorgan polytechnics. However that was quite a while ago, I'm sure they can self award degrees now however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kumori
Wherever you got that list from it don't list university of Glamorgan (now university of south Wales) since that is a ex poly (they love to tell us their history), it was called Glamorgan polytechnics. However that was quite a while ago, I'm sure they can self award degrees now however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's an English only list. It doesn't list Glam or the Scottish poly(s).
Original post by kumori

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only listed the ones in england seeing as there's only one ex poly in wales, one in ireland and one in scotland. I got the list off wiki but didn't quite drag my mouse far enough but they were just meant to be an example.

And yes they can all award their own degrees now, which is why my post mentions that when the were poly's "any degrees gained there would be awarded by an external body" past tense.
Reply 16

Coventry uni was Lanchester Polytechnic (the Lanch) never Cov poly..... lol !
Reply 17
Original post by kite29
I'm kinda new on here, and read "ex poly" quite a lot. Why are they so bad and do degrees from there have no value? Was Plymouth uni ex poly? :confused:

In a word....Snobbery.

The 1992 uni's are pushing the trad uni's hard i.e. Cov is now ranked 33 from 127 uni's and the trad uni's HATE it.
Reply 18
The difference was the examinations were assessed externally and the focus wasnt always on subjects such as dead languages like Latin although Philosophy was studied. It is totally wrong to say they were Vocational. I have an Honours degree from Sunderland Poly and a PhD from Sunderland Uni, and studied Russian and Higher Mathematics and could have gone to a Uni but chose not to. Does that make me academically unsuited?

Dr. G.Home, BSc, CEng, FICE, MIET, MiMechE
Reply 19
Original post by ashleighgiles
I don't think any ex poly should be regarded so lowly by people :smile:
I know that many universities have the upper hand when it comes to employability and courses, but sometimes its the atmosphere of the university that doesn't suit.

I know a number of intelligent people who studied in ex poly(s) back when they were still colleges. These people are actually much more capable than most of the people I know from regular universities! :biggrin:

Well said and absolutely true, many ex Uni. Graduates were too theoretical to be of use, except as Lecturers or maybe Nuclear Scientists, whose work is theoretical itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending