The Student Room Group

What is an ex poly and what's so bad about it??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ppapanastasiou
So here is the link
http://62.103.84.30/2en.php

If you have difficulty understanding the link let me know. It is partially in Greek and partially in English. Whenever you see ΑΡΣΗ ΟΜΟΤΑΓΟΥΣ it means that the course is not recognised. You will see this only with ex polys and almost all of them are law and engineering degrees.

Thanks for the link. Where does it say current/recent degrees from "ex polys" (as opposed to actual polys from over 25 years ago) are excluded?

I can see, for example, this for your friends at Bolton - it seems they are approved:

"UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--ART,DESIGN AND LANGUAGE--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--BUSINESS AND LAW--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--CREATIVE TECHNOLOGIES--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--EDUCATION AND PSYCHOLOGY--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--ENGINEERING, SPORTS AND SCIENCES--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--HEALTH AND COMMUNITY STUDIES"

i.e. the listing appears exactly the same as the entry for Cambridge.

And again, the point is this affects (or doesn't) a tiny minority of UK students...
(edited 7 years ago)
It is not Singapore. If you have carefully read my posts I said a European country in the EU. Almost all engineering and law degrees from ex polys are not recognised even now in the year 2016.

This creates a lot of problems to students from my home country who study in the U.K. Unfortunately many of them did not have the privilege to be correctly advised like my sister.

Just tell us the country then or is it a secret? Its not a trap.

You made the claim, so you should be happy to back it up and we can have a look to see what you are talking about. If you are afraid to tell us, then your claim has even less credibility than the annecdotal evidence you suggested earlier.
Reply 82
Original post by 999tigger
Just tell us the country then or is it a secret? Its not a trap.

You made the claim, so you should be happy to back it up and we can have a look to see what you are talking about. If you are afraid to tell us, then your claim has even less credibility than the annecdotal evidence you suggested earlier.

See above. It's Greece, link included. Eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Thanks for the link. Where does it say current/recent degrees from "ex polys" (as opposed to actual polys from over 25 years ago) are excluded?

I can see, for example, this for your friends at Bolton - it seems they are approved:

"UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--ART,DESIGN AND LANGUAGE--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--BUSINESS AND LAW--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--CREATIVE TECHNOLOGIES--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--EDUCATION AND PSYCHOLOGY--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--ENGINEERING, SPORTS AND SCIENCES--
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON BOLTON--HEALTH AND COMMUNITY STUDIES"

i.e. the listing appears exactly the same as the entry for Cambridge.

And again, the point is this affects (or doesn't) a tiny minority of UK students...

As I said read the keyword ΑΡΣΗ ΟΜΟΤΑΓΟΥΣ. Mainly law degrees all ex polys. I understand that this list is hard to decipher for non Greek speakers but at least for this give me the benefit of home country advantage and stop debating with me. At least once accept that I know what I am talking about.

It is well known ( unfortunately though still not too many students) in Greece that many law degrees and engineering degrees (only from ex polys) are still not recognised. This clashes with EU law but Greece does not seem to care. Also soon as it seems the U.K. will exit the EU so Greece will continue doing so easier.

I agree though that the number of students affected is not that many. The number of Greek students studying in the U.K. is about 12.000 as far as I know. And obviously not all of them study engineering and law at ex polys. But for a small county like Greece this is something important and my sister was warned. Thank god she heard to our school advisor and went to a RG uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
As I said read the keyword ΑΡΣΗ ΟΜΟΤΑΓΟΥΣ. Manly law degrees all ex polys. I understand that this list is hard to decipher for non Greek speakers but at least for this give me the benefit of home country advantage and stop debating with me. At least once accept that I know what I am talking about.

It is well known ( unfortunately though still not too many students) in Greece that many law degrees and engineering degrees (only from ex polys) are still not recognised. This clashes with EU law but Greece does not seem to care. Also soon as it seems the U.K. will exit the EU so Greece will continue doing so easier.

I agree though that the number of students affected is not that many. The number of Greek students studying in the U.K. is about 12.000 as far as I know. And obviously not all of them study engineering and law at ex polys. But for a small county like Greece this is something important and my sister was warned. Thank god she heard to our school advisor and went to a RG uni.

BCU
Coventry
Hertfordshire
Huddersfield
Kingston (but only for School of Education)
London Met
Greenwich
Bedfordshire (not an ex-poly but the result of a merger of an ex HE college and a campus of an ex poly)
Swansea Met (no longer exists and not an ex poly - became a university in 2008)

So 6 ex polys...out of the 33 UK ex polys.
Reply 85
As I said read the keyword ΑΡΣΗ ΟΜΟΤΑΓΟΥΣ. Manly law degrees all ex polys. I understand that this list is hard to decipher for non Greek speakers but at least for this give me the benefit of home country advantage and stop debating with me. At least once accept that I know what I am talking about.

Except there's no such "keyword" against Bolton University.

If you want to advise Greek citizens using TSR about potential applications to UK universities then that's great* (assuming the advice is actually accurate) but to make these sweeping statements out of context is confusing and misleading for the vast majority of TSR users.

*There's an International forum for exactly that purpose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
BCU
Coventry
Hertfordshire
Huddersfield
Kingston (but only for School of Education)
London Met
Greenwich
Bedfordshire (not an ex-poly but the result of a merger of an ex HE college and a campus of an ex poly)
Swansea Met (no longer exists and not an ex poly - became a university in 2008)

So 6 ex polys...out of the 33 UK ex polys.

As I said it is in Greek and sometimes they do not use the same phrasing. For example also UWE is there. It is basically all ex polys. The list is not exhaustive since they have other lists and some lists are exclusively in Greek so you can not read it. Guys please at least on this stop debating with me I know the system well in my home country.

The bottom line is that an engineering or law degree from an ex poly is not recognised normally in Greece.

Now if you want to spend the rest of your lives translating lists from the Greek ministry of education to prove me otherwise be my guests.
Reply 87
As I said it is in Greek and sometimes they do not use the same phrasing. For example also UWE is there. It is basically all ex polys. The list is not exhaustive since they have other lists and some lists are exclusively in Greek so you can not read it. Guys please at least on this stop debating with me I know the system well in my home country.

The bottom line is that an engineering or law degree from an ex poly is not recognised normally in Greece.

Now if you want to spend the rest of your lives translating lists from the Greek ministry of education to prove me otherwise be my guests.

I refer you back to Bolton. Where's the "keyword"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at English ex polys only
Anglia Ruskin University, formerly Anglia Polytechnic (located in Cambridge and Chelmsford) <= doesn't appear to have any restrictions

University of Brighton, formerly Brighton Polytechnic <= doesn't appear to have any restrictions

Nottingham Trent University, formerly Trent Polytechnic (later Nottingham Polytechnic) <= doesn't appear to have any restrictions

University of Plymouth, formerly Polytechnic South West and before that Plymouth Polytechnic <=doesn't appear to have any restrictions

Bournemouth University, formerly Bournemouth Polytechnic <= no notes

University of Central Lancashire, formerly Lancashire Polytechnic and before that Preston Polytechnic <= no notes

De Montfort University Leicester, formerly Leicester Polytechnic <= no notes

Leeds Beckett University, formerly Leeds Polytechnic <= no notes

Manchester Metropolitan University, formerly Manchester Polytechnic <=no notes

Middlesex University, formerly Middlesex Polytechnic <=no notes

University of Northumbria at Newcastle, formerly Newcastle Polytechnic <= no notes

Oxford Brookes University, formerly Oxford Polytechnic <= no notes

South Bank University, formerly South Bank Polytechnic (in London) <= no notes

Staffordshire University, formerly Staffordshire Polytechnic <= no notes

University of Sunderland, formerly Sunderland Polytechnic <= no notes

Teesside University, formerly Teesside Polytechnic <=no notes

University of West London, formerly Polytechnic of West London <=not listed - precurser TVU listed with no notes

University of Westminster, formerly Polytechnic of Central London and the Royal Polytechnic Institution Regent Street <= no notes

University of Wolverhampton, formerly Wolverhampton Polytechnic <= no notes
19 with no restrictions

Birmingham City University, formerly Birmingham Polytechnic <= Has the key word

Coventry University, formerly Coventry Polytechnic and Lanchester Polytechnic (until 1987) <= Has the key word

University of Greenwich, formerly Thames Polytechnic <= Has the key word

University of Hertfordshire, formerly Hatfield Polytechnic <= Has the key word

University of Huddersfield, formerly Huddersfield Polytechnic <= Has the key word

London Metropolitan University, formerly City of London Polytechnic and Polytechnic of North London <= Has the key word
6 fully restricted

University of East London, formerly Polytechnic of East London <= same commentary as UWE specifying School of Law only

Kingston University, formerly Kingston Polytechnic <= School of Education only

Liverpool John Moores University, formerly Liverpool Polytechnic <= notes exclude Building and Art & Design schools

University of Portsmouth, formerly Portsmouth Polytechnic <= same commentary as UWE specifying School of Law only

University of the West of England, formerly Bristol Polytechnic <= notes exclude school of law only
5 with 1-2 schools restricted

"The bottom line is that an engineering or law degree from an ex poly is not recognised normally in Greece." 20-21 v 10-11 seems to imply that's a bunch of crap

ETA:
Sheffield Hallam University, formerly Sheffield Polytechnic <= has a very complex note - google translate looks like it was unrecognised between 1999 and 2001
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89

What do the Greek comments beside the institutions actually say in English?

For example: UWE
"Δ.Σ. 302/4-2-94. ’ρση του ομοταγούς του School of Law για τος εγγραφέντες από το Σεπτέμβριο 2007. (Δ.Σ. 42/23-2-2007)"
Google translates gives this as:
"Board 302 / 02.04.94. 'LY SIS Equivalent of the School of Law for Tosh engrafentes since September 2007. (Board 42 / 02.23.2007)."

And the comment beside Coventry says:
Δ.Σ. 302/4-2-94 ΑΡΣΗ ΟΜΟΤΑΓΟΥΣ SCHOOL OF LAW ΓΙΑ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΕΝΤΕΣ ΑΠΟ 9/2007.
Which Google translates as
= "Board 302 / 02.04.94 LIFTING OMOTAGOUS SCHOOL OF LAW FOR ENGRAFENTES FROM 9/2007"

Seems they are both acceptable for Law from Sept 2007 onwards? No?
Original post by jneill

"Δ.Σ. 302/4-2-94. ’ρση του ομοταγούς του School of Law για τος εγγραφέντες από το Σεπτέμβριο 2007. (Δ.Σ. 42/23-2-2007)"
"Board 302 / 02.04.94. 'LY SIS Equivalent of the School of Law for Tosh engrafentes since September 2007. (Board 42 / 02.23.2007)."

= "Board 302 / 02.04.94 LIFTING OMOTAGOUS SCHOOL OF LAW FOR ENGRAFENTES FROM 9/2007"

No they are not. As I mentioned the lists are not exhaustive and not not well organized. In the home web page they explain in more detail that they do not recognize ex poly degrees in engineering and law. But it is all in Greek so of no use to you. Guys if that that was not the case the would not have sued Greece and try to bring the country to court.

Bottom line law and engineering degrees from ex polys are not recognised in Greece. For once accept that at least on this I am right. Once in your life stop debating and accept that the other person is right and knows more on this particular special matter than you.
Reply 91
No they are not. As I mentioned the lists are not exhaustive and not not well organized. In the home web page they explain in more detail that they do not recognize ex poly degrees in engineering and law. But it is all in Greek so of no use to you. Guys if that that was not the case the would not have sued Greece and try to bring the country to court.

Bottom line law and engineering degrees from ex polys are not recognised in Greece. For once accept that at least on this I am right. Once in your life stop debating and accept that the other person is right and knows more on this particular special matter than you.

I'm asking to be enlightened about the very particular situation you say occurs in Greece (even though it is entirely irrelevant to the vast majority of TSR users).

The home page (http://62.103.84.30/2.php) is translated by google as:

The list congener Universities (AEI) abroad, showing the Diepanepistimiakos Organization Academic Recognition and Information (DOATAP) and constantly updated, includes educational institutions that have recognized hitherto.

The information given is indicative as a result of new academic data, constantly made judgments about the Equivalent-equivalent Institutions / Schools / Departments.
According to the Founding Act DOATAP (Law 3328/2005, Article 3) Equivalent is considered the educational institution of higher university and technological education abroad, recognized by the competent bodies of the country, if the following conditions:
aa) The teaching and examination includes the necessary for the respective science.
b) The maximum institution awards as degrees degrees, postgraduate diplomas and doctorates. Exceptionally considered to be equivalent and higher technological educational institutes issue only degrees as qualifications.
c) The majority of the faculty of the undergraduate and graduate curriculum has a doctorate.
d) When the qualifications leading to professional rights, these rights are recognized in the country where the higher education institution.
ee) The duration of studies is at least three years for undergraduate and one-year postgraduate program, the students have completed secondary education.

It should be noted finally that the list is informative and in no way prejudices the recognition rate of foreign securities provided by Law. 3328/2005 as amended by Law no. 3369/2005.

Remarks:
1) If a particular foreign Universities not on the list does not mean it is not recognized but that potential has not yet been given the opportunity to DOATAP to decide on the academic level.
2) It is necessary to identify and rate the Department to the respective domestic regardless of the recognition of the Foundation as congeners.
3) The institutions are listed by country. In each country are either registered or alphabetically by state or city. The language in which it is registered is the language that is the official language of the country. If the language is not written in Latin characters registered in the Greek language or in English.

Where does it say all engineering and law degrees from ex-polys are not recognised (in Greece)?
Original post by jneill
I'm asking to be enlightened about the very particular situation you say occurs in Greece (even though it is entirely irrelevant to the vast majority of TSR users).

The home page (http://62.103.84.30/2.php) is translated by google as:

Where does it say all engineering and law degrees from ex-polys are not recognised (in Greece)?

Ok if that is the case it is fine with me and happy to help. They have more stuff in their home web page www.doatap.gr

But it is badly organized. Bottom line ex poly degrees in engineering and law are not recognised in Greece.

Since you can use google translate read this article it explains the problem quite nicely. Here the link: http://news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=807871

Hope this helps.
Reply 93
Ok if that is the case it is fine with me and happy to help. They have more stuff in their home web page www.doatap.gr

But it is badly organized. Bottom line ex poly degrees in engineering and law are not recognised in Greece.

Since you can use google translate read this article it explains the problem quite nicely. Here the link: http://news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=807871

Hope this helps.

That's very helpful thanks. The news.in.gr article from 2007 says:

"The decision concerns the universities:
1. University of West England- School of Law- Bristol
2. University of Bedfordshire- Department of Law- Luton
3. University of Greenwich- Department of Law- Greenwich
4. Coventry University- School of Law - Coventry
5. University of Hertfordshire Department of Law- Hertfordshire and
6. University of Huddersfield- Department of Law- Huddersfield."

And there's still nothing on doatap.gr that mentions anything about all ex-polys not being recognised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
That's very helpful thanks. The news.in.gr article from 2007 says:

"The decision concerns the universities:
1. University of West England- School of Law- Bristol
2. University of Bedfordshire- Department of Law- Luton
3. University of Greenwich- Department of Law- Greenwich
4. Coventry University- School of Law - Coventry
5. University of Hertfordshire Department of Law- Hertfordshire and
6. University of Huddersfield- Department of Law- Huddersfield."

And there's still nothing on doatap.gr that mentions anything about all ex-polys not being recognised.

6 out of 33 then.

18% is an interesting take on 'all ex-polys'.
Reply 95
Original post by Reality Check
6 out of 33 then.

18% is an interesting take on 'all ex-polys'.

Indeed... And only for Law too....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Indeed... And only for Law too....

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, just to keep up, we've stripped down the phrase 'all ex-polys' to '18% of polys in Greece for one subject'?
Reply 97
Original post by Reality Check
So, just to keep up, we've stripped down the phrase 'all ex-polys' to '18% of polys in Greece for one subject'?

Yes and the "potentially affecting only students wanting to practice in Greece" bit is important too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by jneill

And I've found at least two UWE law alumni currently practising law in Greece.

Lawyer, Ioannis Fokas' Law Office
Education
University of the West of England Master of Laws (LLM), commercial law 2003 - 2004
The University of Glamorgan LLM, E.U. LAW 2002 - 2003

Paralegal,
Education
University of the West of England Postgraduate Professional Training Diploma, Bar Professional Training Course 2015 - 2017
University of the West of England Bachelor's Degree, Law 2010 - 2013

And Coventry has 5 lawyers currently in Greece:

Including a legal advisor to the Hellenic Parliament:

Education
Coventry University Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) with Hons in Law, Law 2002 - 2005
The University of Wolverhampton Master's degree in Law, Maritime Law Enforcement 2007 - 2008
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

So for example London Metropolitan it says
MERGING OF UNIVERSITY OF NORTH LONDON KAI LONDON GUILDHALL UNIVERSITY FROM 1 AUGUST 2002. LIFTING OMOTAGOUS DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SEPTEMBER 2007 (MINUTE 53 / 31-08-2007)

What does that mean?
What about the period before 2007? i dont think its entirely clear?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending