Is size 6-8 uk considered anorexic/too skinny

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Im a size 10/12 atm and really want to become that size. Im going to work really hard to achieve it but do you think its too skinny. Im 5ft5

Posted from TSR Mobile
advice_guru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wouldn't go under a size 8 though.
moonriver96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i suppose it would be for someone who's 5ft5 but hey, as long as you're healthy and not starving yourself to death. However i must say, 10/12 is a perfect size for your height.
HopefulMidwife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's all subjective, because your body shape, body fat to muscle ratio and height play a huge part in how you look.

In a generalized sense, I find that too skinny and prefer 10-12.
Economi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Annoys me when people refer to a certain size as anorexic. Some people are naturally skinny and i'm sure they wouldn't appreciate accusations of a mental disorder, and i'm sure people who are anorexic aren't proud of it.
coco_madem0iselle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As long as you're doing it healthily and you feel comfortable at whatever size you want to be, you'll be fine.
Anorexia is a mental disorder, not a particular weight or size, you can be any weight and have anorexia. As long as you don't starve yourself or get obsessive about it you'll be ok.
good luck op stay healthy
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by coco_madem0iselle)
As long as you're doing it healthily and you feel comfortable at whatever size you want to be, you'll be fine.
Anorexia is a mental disorder, not a particular weight or size, you can be any weight and have anorexia. As long as you don't starve yourself or get obsessive about it you'll be ok.
good luck op stay healthy
Im going to do it the healthy way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm 5'6" and naturally a size 6/8/10 (usually an 8 though, it depends on what I'm buying/the shop). I don't think there's anything wrong with being that size, just go with what you think looks best on you. If you're a 10/12, I'd probably suggest going to an 8/10 first and doing it gradually and healthily through a good diet and exercise.

For reference, though, a size 6 or 8 is not considered to look stereotypically "anorexic", especially if youre 5'5".
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
I'm 5'6" and naturally a size 6/8/10 (usually an 8 though, it depends on what I'm buying/the shop). I don't think there's anything wrong with being that size, just go with what you think looks best on you. If you're a 10/12, I'd probably suggest going to an 8/10 first and doing it gradually and healthily through a good diet and exercise.

For reference, though, a size 6 or 8 is not considered to look stereotypically "anorexic", especially if youre 5'5".
Yaay im going to get that body

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why do you want to be that size? not that there's anything wrong with it but if you want to lose weight, u should focus more on pounds/stone and inches rather than sizes which are meaningless as build/height are more important. i kind of think that when people say "i want to slim down to a size 6" it's to show off the fact they are a very slender size. for some body shapes it would be difficult to be such a size, even though you are slim.

by all means aim for it if you want to. i do think sizes 6 and 8 are small and girls wearing them are likely to be slim, but a lot more depends on where the fat is "distributed" on your body.
lollipopsunshine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'm naturally skinny but i have fairly big boobs for my frame (32d) so i'm usually a size 8/10 in tops (depends on the shop) and size 6 in bottoms (i look a bit disproportionate), plus i'm 5'8 so i'm stretched out. people do call me skinny (never been called anorexic) and it does get on my nerves, as there's nothing i can do about it, and i know i'm skinny, i dont need it constantly pointed out. i think size 10-12 is probably better than a 6/8 because you're slim but you dont get comments about how skinny you are... but if you really want to be a size 8 then go for it
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 8 years ago
As previously mentioned, some girls are naturally size 6 or under. So, therefore, they are not anorexic...
Also, I'd say size 8 is a common size, and you wouldn't say it's common to be anorexic, would you...:lolwut:
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A size 6 is quite big these days thanks to vanity sizing. I'm not really skinny and I have quite a few size 6 things that fit. So no, it's not anorexic looking.
iamsuperjai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well my tops are normally size 8 but my jeans/bottoms are normally size 6 but that's because I've got a small waist- 25 inches. I dont think I am too skinny or look anorexic. However I am a shorty, Im only 5'2.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can be a size 8 in some clothes, and I certainly don't look skinny.

6 is incredibly slim, but I wouldn't describe it as too skinny or anorexic.

10-12 is a perfect size for your height, embrace it and be proud of yourself
Divergent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm 5"5 and a size 6/8
I do not look at all anorexic in any way. (i'm actually quite chunky, especially my legs!)

I mean, yes I've been a size 14.. even a size 16 at one point. But I seriously hate the word anorexic.

People don't look "anorexic" it's a mental condition. You don't say people "look bulimic" either.

Everyone is completely different shapes.
Becky15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a size 4 and very tall for a girl and I wouldn't say I look 'anorexic' (severely underweight would be a better term)

i think people carry their weight differently.
Another
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
6 - 8? No, never. Especially not at 5ft5.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For your height, 10/12 is a perfect size I would have thought. I'm only 5ft and fit 6/8! The size not only reflects weight but also height - size 6 clothes would probably be too short for you anyway! Don't let other people's opinions about weight/ clothes size/ appearance/ whatever effect you - just eat and live fairly healthily so you are neither overweight nor anorexic.
flit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im a size 10/12 atm and really want to become that size. Im going to work really hard to achieve it but do you think its too skinny. Im 5ft5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, it is definitely not too skinny!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (62)
56.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.55%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.36%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
5.45%

Watched Threads