?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How much do I need to weigh to be a size 6/8- im 5ft5
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tried on a size 6 dress in primark today and it was too big. I'm a size 8/10. Just goes to show how stupid sizes are these days. No point aiming for any particular size cos it'll change in every shop!
BlindingLight
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im a size 10/12 atm and really want to become that size. Im going to work really hard to achieve it but do you think its too skinny. Im 5ft5

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a good size though.
x-Sophie-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Size 6-8 is a perfectly normal size for someone who is 5'5!
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iamsuperjai)
Well my tops are normally size 8 but my jeans/bottoms are normally size 6 but that's because I've got a small waist- 25 inches. I dont think I am too skinny or look anorexic. However I am a shorty, Im only 5'2.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 5ft with a 22 inch waist and 28D boobs. Annoying to find a top that fits. I also haves large ass and thighs which makes it seem like a skinny person and fat person just got seen together. Can't find jeans that don't gape at the waist, aren't too tight on the thigh and too baggy on the calf.

FML

Depending on the brand or cut of the top it's usually a 6 or 8, but jeans are like... 8, 10, 12 even depending on the cut or stretch.

I need to wear 12 in the spandex shorts I wear for ballet pole dance and it makes me sick to stomach. I used to be anorexic but even then my ASS would not go away.
FridayI'mInLove
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
why do you want to be that size? not that there's anything wrong with it but if you want to lose weight, u should focus more on pounds/stone and inches rather than sizes which are meaningless as build/height are more important. i kind of think that when people say "i want to slim down to a size 6" it's to show off the fact they are a very slender size. for some body shapes it would be difficult to be such a size, even though you are slim.

by all means aim for it if you want to. i do think sizes 6 and 8 are small and girls wearing them are likely to be slim, but a lot more depends on where the fat is "distributed" on your body.
Exactly this. I'm a size 6 and I'm just naturally a small person, most people would have to eat very little to be my size. Some people would look awful as a size 6 while obviously for some people it suits them. People should be concerned with health, not dress size.
PunkyCupcake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a size 6-8 and I'm 5 ft 7 which some may consider unhealthy, and I do get called skinny a lot, but I wouldn't say it's unhealthy, as I eat a lot and just have a fast metabolism, and I can't help that. Size 4, on the other hand, is what I'd say to be too skinny/borderline anorexic.
10/12 is a perfectly healthy size, though, and I would probably not try to drop to a 6/8 as it's perfectly healthy for your height to be the dress size that you are.
Jodie_668
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a size 6 generally (can range to an 8 or even a 4 depending on the item of clothing and manufacturer) and I'm 5ft 3". I'm definitely not anorexic though I am quite slim. As long as you are eating healthily and exercising and not restricting your intake too much then you will be fine!
*Lucyinthesky*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am a size 8 female and 5'10, but to be honest I don't believe my metabolism has slowed down yet but the answer to your question is that being a size 6-8, if it makes you feel attractive, is a great size to be.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dress sizes are not an objective measurement of a healthy size or weight. If you want to know what's a healthy weight for you, trying calculating your BMI - that will give you a rough idea.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think size is far less important than shape. A size 6 girl with a big bum and thighs isn't gonna look anorexic, in fact better than a size 8 girl with a flat bum and skinny legs.
Ladyliesel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That depends on your build or height. Sizes don't indicate one's health. One of my cousins is a natural size 6. She's always been tiny since we was born and barely 5ft. Meanwhile a bigger size can be healthier if someone has developed muscles, healthier than a smaller person. Don't fret about it. Also, which size somebody wears can vary depending on shop.
pepperthecat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should calculate your body mass index (BMI) to see if it's realistic to lose weight. (Just google BMI calculator.) You should have a BMI of between 19-25 if you are healthy. (Exceptions: under 18s, pregnancy, and athletes who may seem 'overweight from their additional muscle mass). If slimming down to fit a size 6-8 means your BMI will be under 19, don't do it!
mythtakes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FridayI'mInLove)
Exactly this. I'm a size 6 and I'm just naturally a small person, most people would have to eat very little to be my size. Some people would look awful as a size 6 while obviously for some people it suits them. People should be concerned with health, not dress size.
I agree with this. If you have to really work at losing weight to go from a 10/12 to a 6/8, chances are you're going completely against your natural shape. You may lose the weight but it'll be difficult to maintain it. If you want to lose a few pounds and tone up then go for it, but I don't see the point in picking some arbitrary size and aiming for that.
No Future
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im a size 10/12 atm and really want to become that size. Im going to work really hard to achieve it but do you think its too skinny. Im 5ft5

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's very individual, height, build, ethnicity etc all play a part.

Some people might be naturally perfectly healthy and happy at size 6-8 at 5'5, however based on personal experience and from advice from a dietician, I gather it would be unusual for most people to be healthy at that size/height.

I'm 5'6 and definitely too skinny at size 6. There's just no healthy way for me to be that size. My BMI has to be <17.5 for me to be that size.

I'm sure there are people out there who might be perfectly healthy and be that size, but that's the exception.

Very few adult women are naturally <BMI 20 and eating healthily/not messing with their food in some way.

But more importantly, why does it matter so much what size you are? There's more to life and more to you as a person than your clothes size. It's just a number. As long as you're healthy and happy, able to function in life, look after yourself, keep fit and enjoy a variety of foods, who really cares if you're a size 8 or 10? Having rigid ideas about having to be a certain size is a recipe for misery. People are just naturally different sizes, enjoy your life and don't worry about it!
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
It's very individual, height, build, ethnicity etc all play a part.

Some people might be naturally perfectly healthy and happy at size 6-8 at 5'5, however based on personal experience and from advice from a dietician, I gather it would be unusual for most people to be healthy at that size/height.

I'm 5'6 and definitely too skinny at size 6. There's just no healthy way for me to be that size. My BMI has to be <17.5 for me to be that size.

I'm sure there are people out there who might be perfectly healthy and be that size, but that's the exception.

Very few adult women are naturally <BMI 20 and eating healthily/not messing with their food in some way.

But more importantly, why does it matter so much what size you are? There's more to life and more to you as a person than your clothes size. It's just a number. As long as you're healthy and happy, able to function in life, look after yourself, keep fit and enjoy a variety of foods, who really cares if you're a size 8 or 10?
Im not doing it for anyone else but myself. I think id feel better about myself if I was that size
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Becky15)
I'm a size 4 and very tall for a girl and I wouldn't say I look 'anorexic' (severely underweight would be a better term)

i think people carry their weight differently.
If the BMI criteria for anorexia is BMI <17.5, would 'severely underweight' not be within that BMI range also?

Size 4 and very tall? That's unusually thin.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im not doing it for anyone else but myself. I think id feel better about myself if I was that size
I never suggested you were doing it for someone else. This is most definitely meant to be honest, helpful advice and am not in any way criticizing you.

I accept you think you'd feel better at size 6-8.

I have never met you and have no idea what your natural healthy weight/size would be. (So who knows, maybe your natural weight is unusually low?)

The advice I have been given by a dietician is that you generally can't choose what your weight/size is without doing unhealthy things to your body. Your body will have a 'set range' of weight where it wants to be when you are eating healthily and trying to go above or below that range can lead to eating disordered behaviours.

All I'm saying is, I'm not sure aiming to be a specific size will make you happy:

a) because it's a losing battle physiologically (every body is different and due to genetics tends to favour being a certain weight/size).
b) because that leads to ED behaviours
c) because if your happiness/self esteem is so tied up with your body size it's unlikely it'll ever make you happy (I thought being as thin as possible would make me feel better, but it never did so I ended up wanting to lose more weight).

By all means, eat healthily and exercise, but attempting to aim for a specific size (and one that is probably unattainable for most people without extreme dieting/ED behaviour) I highly doubt will make you happy in the long term. Thinking of the bigger picture, does it really matter whether you're a size 6 or 8 or 10 or 12?

This is not definitive, it's just general advice for most people. I realise some people are naturally very small, but the majority of the population isn't unless they go on extreme diets.
username447608
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it completely depends on your body, ive got big hips I could starve myself and drop loads of weight but ill never be smaller than a 10 because I cant make my bones magically shrink. There is nothing wrong with being a 10/12 but also being 8/6 doesn't mean she is suffering from an eating disorder some woman are really very small boned so will be naturally thinner than those of us who are bigger boned its just how the world works we all have different bodies.
Becky15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No idea why I got a neg for my post :/
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (45)
13.2%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.27%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (113)
33.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.8%

Watched Threads