Watch
This discussion is closed.
xfirekittyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LouiseOrd)
If I hear one more person refer to a size 4 or a size 6 as 'anorexic' or 'borderline anorexic' I'm going to give up on society.

Anorexia is a mental disorder not an adjective. If someone eats normally, is healthy and are a size 4-6 they are not anorexic, they're thin. Anorexia is a serious illness it's not a fashion trend I find the whole thread incredibly offensive, not just through the use of a mental disorder as an adjective but the amount of people claiming that a 4-6 is too skinny, like it's not attractive? "Why would you want to be a smaller size" well what's wrong with being a smaller size?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's wrong to want to be a smaller size if to achieve said size you have to become underweight for your height. I have no idea if it would be healthy or not in OPS case. In my experience with friends, wanting to be a smaller size when you're not overweight can be the start to disordered thinking (as what's to say that if they think they're too big when they're healthy, when they've reached their initial goal that they won't still see themselves as too big) and more severe problems... Remember around 1 in 10 women in the UK have an eating disorder, that is an average of all ages and it's more predominant in young women/teens.

For the average sized woman (notice I say woman rather than teen) being a 4/6 probably means they aren't eating enough even if what they do eat is healthy as the body needs a certain quantity of nutrients, this can lead to long term problems. There's a reason why 4's are rare out of the petite section It's a much healthier goal to want to improve your diet or fitness (and some weight loss/ inch loss is usually a side effect) .
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BMI? I'm around 5''10 and a size 8/10, and I'm happy-ish with that. You're size is fine, but if you want to tone up and become healthier? Great :3
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Caits7)
I am 49 kilos
Whats your height?
username1146013
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends on your body shape. I'm 5"6 and a size 8 but that's the size my body is naturally. If you feel you're eating too many sweets/junk food cut it out and see what happens. But don't starve yourself to get there.
I wouldn't think being a size 6 would be healthy though as you'd have to weigh about 7-7 1/2 stone to get into that. Not too healthy if you're 5"5!
Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shape matters more than size in the sense that some women can be slightly bigger than average and still look good if they have great proportions. That doesn't mean they look better than if they were slim, just that they can still be attractive.

I consider a size 8 ideal. I'm 5"9 and have curves so I'm not naturally 'petite' or anything. I still don't look anorexic at a size 8, few people do.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cfhurley)
It depends on your body shape. I'm 5"6 and a size 8 but that's the size my body is naturally. If you feel you're eating too many sweets/junk food cut it out and see what happens. But don't starve yourself to get there.
I wouldn't think being a size 6 would be healthy though as you'd have to weigh about 7-7 1/2 stone to get into that. Not too healthy if you're 5"5!
Not necessarily, I'm 5"7 and was a size six when I weighed around 8 and a half stone .. I've just got quite a small build and didn't have much muscle. If you've got small boobs and narrow hips it's much easier to fit into a six even if you're heavier. To be honest I can often fit into size 6s now at 9 stone 2 and if it wasn't for my bum/hips/thighs I could probably fit even more. It's mainly to do with build and bone structure.
Becky15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can everyone stop throwing around the term anorexic?
username1146013
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Not necessarily, I'm 5"7 and was a size six when I weighed around 8 and a half stone .. I've just got quite a small build and didn't have much muscle. If you've got small boobs and narrow hips it's much easier to fit into a six even if you're heavier. To be honest I can often fit into size 6s now at 9 stone 2 and if it wasn't for my bum/hips/thighs I could probably fit even more. It's mainly to do with build and bone structure.

Ah yes, muscle weighs twice the amount of fat and bone structure plays a part too. Was just going on my own experiences but I guess it depends on your hips and chest size.
IndyJK9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm the same height as you and a size 8-10. I'm very slim so I'd imagine if i was a 6 I would look anorexic. Also, it would be very difficult to get into size 6 clothes at that height.
LouiseOrd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
STOP USING ANOREXIC AS AN ADJECTIVE. "If I were so and so, I would look anorexic" NO YOU WOULDN'T BECAUSE ANOREXIC ISN'T SOMETHING YOU LOOK, IT'S SOMETHING YOU ARE. Underweight, too thin, these are all acceptable adjectives, stop using a mental disorder to describe, you have no idea who you could be triggering.

It's been said multiple times throughout this thread, stop ignoring it because you could be making someone feel awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Whats your height?
I'm not actually sure, but I think I'm 5'4
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a size 6-8. What are you trying to say? :eyeball:
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caits7)
I'm not actually sure, but I think I'm 5'4

im 5ft 4 and a half so just a few inches taller Id like to become 49 kilos too. Do you have a flat stomach? I dont think i wad ever that weight as a teenager so i want to know how id look
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im 5ft 4 and a half so just a few inches taller Id like to become 49 kilos too. Do you have a flat stomach? I dont think i wad ever that weight as a teenager so i want to know how id look
It's pretty flat really but only since I started doing fitness stuff and stomach exercises, before that I had a slight round bit at the very bottom, still have it slightly even now haha! Doing the plank works wonders for that though
rebeccafrances
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can I just say, no one can 'look anorexic'. It's a mental illness where weight loss is merely a symptom. People saying 'size 8 isn't anorexic' are wrong. Someone could be size 12 and still be anorexic. Sorry, I know that's not what the thread is about, but I felt the need to make a point. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by rebeccafrances)
Can I just say, no one can 'look anorexic'. It's a mental illness where weight loss is merely a symptom. People saying 'size 8 isn't anorexic' are wrong. Someone could be size 12 and still be anorexic. Sorry, I know that's not what the thread is about, but I felt the need to make a point. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for informing me. I really didnt know anorexia is actually a state of mind. If you dont mind can you please explain further. Do anorexic people constantly feel that they are fat and eat but vomit it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks so much for informing me. I really didnt know anorexia is actually a state of mind. If you dont mind can you please explain further. Do anorexic people constantly feel that they are fat and eat but vomit it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No that's generally bulimia.
Anorexics tend to restrict their food intake, they may purge sometimes but it tends to be bulimia that is characterised by binging and purging. It also isn't necessarily about them thinking they're fat either.
LouiseOrd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anorexia - starvation/minimal food consumption.

Bulimia - binging and purging (vomiting/laxatives)

EDNOS - Eating Disorder not otherwise specified (this is typically what you are diagnosed with if your BMI is higher than 17.5, but you have disordered eating patterns)

BDD - Body Dysmorphic Disorder (seeing yourself significantly larger than you are).

That's an incredibly simple explanation. However it's very common for an eating disorder to be an anorexia-bulimia hybrid where it's a combination of starving, purging, binging and more purging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Danatlive
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, infact it is often desired.
JanitaTwain
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I'm 5ft 2 and I think I'm about an 8. 10 towards the end of the year- I have a tendency to eat too much chocolate when its cold.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (46)
13.37%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.03%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.44%
I'm finding things difficult (115)
33.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed