The Student Room Group

do tattoos really affect your career?

Ive been thinking about getting a full sleeve tattoo. Im starting uni in september so will needa part time job. I will obviously hold off on my sleeve If it will set a negative impression on my employer... after uni im looking to go into the business/finance or engineering sector. Do tattoos affect getting jobs in these areas? Would you advise against getting my tattoos all together or will it not matter when the employer sees my great cv and credentials? By the way im female if that makes any difference, which I hope it wouldn't anyway.
Reply 1
Original post by 006
Ive been thinking about getting a full sleeve tattoo. Im starting uni in september so will needa part time job. I will obviously hold off on my sleeve If it will set a negative impression on my employer... after uni im looking to go into the business/finance or engineering sector. Do tattoos affect getting jobs in these areas? Would you advise against getting my tattoos all together or will it not matter when the employer sees my great cv and credentials? By the way im female if that makes any difference, which I hope it wouldn't anyway.

I think there are laws from properly discriminating against it ie no tattoo no job but I'm sure in many job descriptions they will say have to look professional and presentable. I'm not saying your tattoo will look trashy but you don't know the views of your employer.

If you want to work in finance you would be able to cover this up with a long sleeved shirt.
Reply 2
I think you should see things in perspective. It may look "cool" or whatever now but 20, 30 years down the line it will just look like a palate mess on your arm. I mean if it's something discrete no one will care but an entire sleeve? You'll probably have your arm covered up in a suit or a shirt at work so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt but the way I see it, jobs are getting increasingly competitive. You will be fighting against hundreds/ thousands of competitors for your job position and employers will be trying to look for any reason to weed you out. You're going to be competing against people who equal, if not surpass, your credentials so the last thing you'd want to do is give them a reason to throw your application in the bin. If you want a tattoo, get it somewhere that's concealable, don't get it somewhere where people can see it in broad daylight
Reply 4
You have the right to get a tattoo if you wish, but employers should also have the right to not hire you as some may find it unprofessional.

If you're worried about your prospects, but still want one, why not get a smaller one that can be easily covered?
Reply 5
OP
Thanks, all good replies. The design is personal so to the poster who referenced me getting it because its 'cool' you are very wrong. Even if i wanted it for other reasons that would be nothing to do with you so can you keep your personal opinions about tattoos to yourself please. think I'll just leave the tattoo idea until im in a committed job and ive discussed it with my employer :smile: thanks for your insight
Reply 6
Original post by 006

As long as it is able to be covered up by clothing. The placement of tattoos that may hinder you are things like neck, hands, face, etc.
I have been worrying about this as well. I have been thinking for a good year or so about getting a particular tattoo on my wrists which means something to me. I want in the future to work in either translation but I would love to write literature or work in journalism and I am really worried about the tattoo I want. It means SO much to me but if it means reducing the chance of me getting a job, is it worth it? I know compared to a lot I tattoo's, it is rather small but it u still a concern for me! [ATTACH]234557[/ATTACH

Posted from TSR Mobile
** it is still a concern for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
[QUOTE="Bethpillsbury;43696379"]I have been worrying about this as well. I have been thinking for a good year or so about getting a particular tattoo on my wrists which means something to me. I want in the future to work in either translation but I would love to write literature or work in journalism and I am really worried about the tattoo I want. It means SO much to me but if it means reducing the chance of me getting a job, is it worth it? I know compared to a lot I tattoo's, it is rather small but it u still a concern for me! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1374973600.480435.jpg

If you are happy having to potentially always wear long sleeved tops, then go for it. Otherwise think of placing it elsewhere. For instance your back, or one part on each side of your hip.

There's a Tattoo Society thread here where people could help you with ideas for placement if you're worried about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1682452&page=94&p=43693938#post43693938
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Bethpillsbury;43696379"]I have been worrying about this as well. I have been thinking for a good year or so about getting a particular tattoo on my wrists which means something to me. I want in the future to work in either translation but I would love to write literature or work in journalism and I am really worried about the tattoo I want. It means SO much to me but if it means reducing the chance of me getting a job, is it worth it? I know compared to a lot I tattoo's, it is rather small but it u still a concern for me! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1374973600.480435.jpg

Why does that tatoo mean so much?
It is very very personal to me as it signifies freedom and I have been battling some illnesses for a long time and I am finally freeing myself from them. Also, the cage being on my left wrist is also very significant to me, let's just say i did some things on my left wrist and i did these things because I felt trapped, stuck and helpless & the birds flying to my other wrist signify a new start, literally and both metaphorically; a black canvas ♡. I have never been one to want a tattoo but when I saw this tattoo, it really spoke to me, so much so that I want it myself. Thank you for asking and I am super sorry if my response makes no sense. Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
To the OP, yes having a full sleeve will say something about you to the employer if they see it, personally I don't care for sleeves on girls but each to their own I guess

The problem with this tattoo is that it's placed on your wrists, and not its size. Unless you wear a brace on both hands it won't be covered. Get the tattoo in another place that can be covered up, and you'll be fine. A tattoo, no matter how meaningful, is not worth risking unemployment.
I personally don't think tattoos should be judged as professional incompetence, though we all can't deny that many employers see it like that now.
If you really want a tattoo, go a head. I actually enjoy looking at quality tattoos.

As far as I know, tattoos are really judged in business/finance majors. Everyone will present themselves as smart and conservative workers. Body art isn't really smiled upon there. Well, this is based on the experiences of people I know. If you can hide it from your professional life then you should be fine.

Don't forget that as we age, tattoos can change depending on the skin's wrinkling/drooping. :smile:
If someone judges me because of tattoos then I wouldn't want to work there anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending