The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Some informations for an italian student!

Hi there! I'm an italian student (i'm attending the 5th year of high school in Palermo, i'm gonna take a diploma) and i thought about the possibility of moving to Glasgow (i think next year) for take a degree in law. Although in Palermo law course is good too, i fear that career prospects won't satisfy my projects for the future.
So.. Will saas really pay (i'm eligible) for me the tuition fees of the university? Do i have to give back the money in future (i read that this is different from the loans that saas can give you)? How does it work when i'll apply to the ucas site?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
HI there! I moved from Vicenza to England just one and a half years ago and I applied to University of Glasgow for this September and as far as they told me I am eligible to have my fees payed by saas. You can do so as long as your permanent residence is in Italy and you might need to get a Certificato di Residenza from your comune to do so. I applied July 2012 to start in September 2013. When are you thinking to start?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Kuemon
Hi there! I'm an italian student (i'm attending the 5th year of high school in Palermo, i'm gonna take a diploma) and i thought about the possibility of moving to Glasgow (i think next year) for take a degree in law. Although in Palermo law course is good too, i fear that career prospects won't satisfy my projects for the future.
So.. Will saas really pay (i'm eligible) for me the tuition fees of the university? Do i have to give back the money in future (i read that this is different from the loans that saas can give you)? How does it work when i'll apply to the ucas site?

Yes, that is correct.

Please be aware that career opportunities in the UK are limited as well, and there are vastly more people who want to be lawyers than the number of jobs available. Of course your command of the English language (including the distinctive Scots accent) would have to be excellent if you were to cope with living and studying in Glasgow.
I am staying at the St Andrews Court, Glasgow.

I am looking to find people staying in the same place as me :smile:

I stayed in another place last year and my new accommodation seems so much better! :smile:
Reply 4
eh brav' a Kuemon :biggrin:
Reply 5
I am also Italian and I will move to Glasgow in September, as far as I know saas pays for all my fees, which leaves me with accommodation and living costs - still quite a bit of money!
Reply 6
Original post by animornox
HI there! I moved from Vicenza to England just one and a half years ago and I applied to University of Glasgow for this September and as far as they told me I am eligible to have my fees payed by saas. You can do so as long as your permanent residence is in Italy and you might need to get a Certificato di Residenza from your comune to do so. I applied July 2012 to start in September 2013. When are you thinking to start?

Thank you, i was thinking to move in Semptember 2014! (or even earlier).. Which course did you choose? :smile:

Original post by Voyager_2002
Please be aware that career opportunities in the UK are limited as well, and there are vastly more people who want to be lawyers than the number of jobs available. Of course your command of the English language (including the distinctive Scots accent) would have to be excellent if you were to cope with living and studying in Glasgow.

Yes.. I already know how important the language is, but i shouldn't have many problems! I still have some doubts about moving for career prospects... Also because if i took a law degree in Scotland i'd necessarily practice in Scotland! So i don't know if i should or not, it's an important decision!
Original post by Kuemon
... Also because if i took a law degree in Scotland i'd necessarily practice in Scotland! So i don't know if i should or not, it's an important decision!

A Law degree is academic rather than practical. A Law graduate must do another year of study (or two years for a graduate in a subject other than Law) and then at least a year of practical supervised work experience with an experienced lawyer before s/he can practice. There is a terrible shortage of opportunities for this work experience, so many people spend years of work and thousands of pounds studying Law yet never get to practice it. Anyway, the academic stage (first degree) does not really tie you in to either the English or Scottish system.
Reply 8
Imho no point to get a british law degree if u wanna come back to Italy for passing State Exam :wink:
Reply 9
A Law degree is academic rather than practical. A Law graduate must do another year of study (or two years for a graduate in a subject other than Law) and then at least a year of practical supervised work experience with an experienced lawyer before s/he can practice. There is a terrible shortage of opportunities for this work experience, so many people spend years of work and thousands of pounds studying Law yet never get to practice it. Anyway, the academic stage (first degree) does not really tie you in to either the English or Scottish system.

It's the same thing (or even worse) in Italy, here law course is five full years if you pass all the exams and tests of the year! But too many people fail to pass them and you can study a lot for about 6/7 years! And too much graduates aren't sure if they'll find an employment! I think it's too ridiculous, years of money and sacrifice spent on something not sure.. This is what motivates me to move, although universities here are very good too!
Original post by Kuemon
It's the same thing (or even worse) in Italy, here law course is five full years if you pass all the exams and tests of the year! But too many people fail to pass them and you can study a lot for about 6/7 years! And too much graduates aren't sure if they'll find an employment! I think it's too ridiculous, years of money and sacrifice spent on something not sure.. This is what motivates me to move, although universities here are very good too!

My Italian friends have told me that universities in Italy are no longer "world class", as a result of the familiar problems of nepotism and corruption. Anyway, I think it is a mistake to think of a Law degree (or any degree, for that matter) as training for a particular career. Rather, it develops skills in thinking and problem-solving, and these skills may be used for a wide range of careers.
Reply 11
Original post by Kuemon
Thank you, i was thinking to move in Semptember 2014! (or even earlier).. Which course did you choose? :smile:

I am going to study electrical and electronic engineering , hopefully. results coming out on 15 th :s-smilie:
Reply 12

Hi!
Finally I found someone who could help me!!
I am an italian student too, my boyfriend and I would like to move next year to London to study at the uni.
We're looking for some info about the student finance, as we can afford the tuition fees.
I read the application form and I can't complete some spaces, such as the National Insurance Number. How can I get it before going to London?
Please can you explain us what did you write in the form and what documents are needed to complete the application.
I'd like to apply for a undergraduate course at Queen Mary on September 2014 and my boyfriend for a preparatory course (of Bio and Chemistry) at Birkbeck.

Hope you'll read this message, bye!!
Reply 13
Original post by Evellinej
Hi!
I am an italian student too, my boyfriend and I would like to move next year to London to study at the uni.
We're looking for some info about the student finance, as we can afford the tuition fees.
I read the application form and I can't complete some spaces, such as the National Insurance Number. How can I get it before going to London?
Please can you explain us what did you write in the form and what documents are needed to complete the application.
I'd like to apply for a undergraduate course at Queen Mary on September 2014 and my boyfriend for a preparatory course (of Bio and Chemistry) at Birkbeck.

I doubt you need to provide national insurance number if you apply as european student. you will get paid only your tuition fees through a loan i doubt you will get any money for maintainance. the best way to find out what to do is calling up to student finance england. Personally I would advice you to go to a university in Scotland as they have lower living costs there than London and SAAS pays your tuition fee. Basically you go to university for free there. :smile: and they dont ask for National Insurance number as far as I remember. If ou tell me what are the other spaces you need to fill inand you cant I will be happy to help you with those as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Evellinej
Hi!

Getting an NI number is quite complicated, so leave that blank -- you cannot possibly supply it.

I think you will just have to spend a lot of time going through the Student Finance web page and reading all the regulations. Sadly, if you telephone them with a difficult question they often give the wrong answer, and you cannot be sure of getting a reply to email enquiries.

If you get really stuck, post your question on the forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
One of the people who regularly responds there is really knowledgeable.

Note that the rules for your boyfriend are very different, since pre-university courses are funded in a different way.

As mentioned below, there are financial advantages to studying in Scotland, so consider whether you really need to be in London.
Reply 15
I doubt you need to provide national insurance number if you apply as european student. you will get paid only your tuition fees through a loan i doubt you will get any money for maintainance. the best way to find out what to do is calling up to student finance england. Personally I would advice you to go to a university in Scotland as they have lower living costs there than London and SAAS pays your tuition fee. Basically you go to university for free there. :smile: and they dont ask for National Insurance number as far as I remember. If ou tell me what are the other spaces you need to fill inand you cant I will be happy to help you with those as well.

Hi thanks for reply!:smile:
I considered studying in Scotland, but London remains my first choice.

Look, I will have to fill other spaces and I'd like to be sure that I'm right.
For example, the Certifier that must be not a relative. Who did you choose? If I can answer..

What kind of documents did you send attached to the form?
Reply 16
Getting an NI number is quite complicated, so leave that blank -- you cannot possibly supply it.

I think you will just have to spend a lot of time going through the Student Finance web page and reading all the regulations. Sadly, if you telephone them with a difficult question they often give the wrong answer, and you cannot be sure of getting a reply to email enquiries.

If you get really stuck, post your question on the forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
One of the people who regularly responds there is really knowledgeable.

Note that the rules for your boyfriend are very different, since pre-university courses are funded in a different way.

As mentioned below, there are financial advantages to studying in Scotland, so consider whether you really need to be in London.

Hi thanks for reply! :smile:
Thanks for the link to the forum, I will follow it!
Do you know some web-sites where can I have more info about my boyfriend's finance?

Quick Reply

Latest