The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SuparNoob
I live in London and decided that if I'm going to move out of London for Uni, I might as well go really far. Plus I've heard amazing things about the Edinburgh medical school and the city in general.

I've just done my UKCAT and got a 725 average with Band 1 STJ. Considering your other comments, I think this is a good (?) score and likely to be awarded one of the higher points available for that section.
I have 11A* and 1A at GCSE with AAAA at AS and 4A* predicted and I'm also doing the EPQ.

Do things like Gold in the British Biology Olympiad count toward academic if I put them in my PS?

In terms of non-academic, I play rugby for the school, I volunteer as a scout leader, Distinction in Grade 8 public speaking, Grade 6 piano and I'm also a peer mentor at school if that counts.
I've had 3 weeks total in a hospital 1 week shadowing consultants, 1 week shadowing nurses and other members of staff and 1 week in a clinical trial ward and its respective lab)
1 year volunteering at an elderly care centre, 6 months at a charity with disabled children.

Hopefully this looks alright if I manage to my tweak my PS to my liking.

Well you've got a virtually perfect profile so you obviously have a great chance! (as I'm sure you know :tongue: ) Your UKCAT will land you in one of the top two quartiles, probably the top. I can only advise that you use your ps to reflect on all those non-academics - don't just turn it into a list, and make sure you can effectively portray your insight into medicine and what a medical career would entail. Link your rugby and scout leading to team work and leadership etc.; but you've probably already done that :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Paradox.
Well you've got a virtually perfect profile so you obviously have a great chance! (as I'm sure you know :tongue: ) Your UKCAT will land you in one of the top two quartiles, probably the top. I can only advise that you use your ps to reflect on all those non-academics - don't just turn it into a list, and make sure you can effectively portray your insight into medicine and what a medical career would entail. Link your rugby and scout leading to team work and leadership etc.; but you've probably already done that :tongue:

Thank you!

My other issue is about transport. Dooes anyone know current Edinburgh students that come from London and what is the best way to get home for Holidays and occasions?
Original post by SuparNoob
Thank you!

My other issue is about transport. Dooes anyone know current Edinburgh students that come from London and what is the best way to get home for Holidays and occasions?

I've had to make the Edinburgh -> London trip a few times now. There's a train line that goes right from Edinburgh to King's Cross - takes 4.5 - 5 hrs. Can also fly from the airport to Gatwick.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just saw the new weightings and I'm hoping that they benefit me (although from what I've seen in this thread my stats are anything but special :tongue:)

My main query is that I only did 3 AS exams as my other subject is a Pre-U (the exams are all taken at the end of A2!) I got 3 A's at AS and I'm predicted D1 in History (my 4th) which is equivalent to above an A* apparently!!

Would the fact I only have 3AS hold me back or do you reckon they'd just use my history prediction as my 4th AS (calling it an A rather than A*?) I just realised this could be an issue in what is otherwise looking pretty promising!! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Ha, not true at all. The only extra-curricular stuff I mentioned on my PS was some charity/project-leading stuff, prefecty stuff, and the fact that I play sports (not even captain!) and video games. Edinburgh still rated my PS as excellent, and hey, even if you're not very confident in your PS - be comforted by the fact that its weighting has been dramatically decreased this year. :wink:

I'd say you're fine on the extra-curric and W/E front. And don't worry, your re-review is still on my 'to-do' list; I was actually planning on doing it tomorrow! So a nice coincidence there.

Definitely go for the re-mark, the 4th A at AS would help a bit.. And good luck on your UKCAT!

Thanks! Do you have any idea if Edinburgh has any preference to doing 4 A levels, or picking up extra AS, as opposed to just doing 3?
Original post by worriednorthener
Thanks! Do you have any idea if Edinburgh has any preference to doing 4 A levels, or picking up extra AS, as opposed to just doing 3?

No preference given at all. There's no difference between someone with AAAa, AAAA or AAAaa. All get the same score in the academics section.
Reply 86
What does Edinburgh count as good extra curriculars? I play sport to county level, play the flute to a high grade, 2 bands in and out of school, piano, that kind of stuff.

I've heard that they only consider ECs as really good if you're an Olympic Swimmer or something?
Original post by Lucy_95
What does Edinburgh count as good extra curriculars? I play sport to county level, play the flute to a high grade, 2 bands in and out of school, piano, that kind of stuff.

I've heard that they only consider ECs as really good if you're an Olympic Swimmer or something?

Im no expert but from what HYpe En Ecosse said earlier in this thread it sounds like you certainly wont have a problem with the amount, and I think it'll then be about how you present them!

It seems as though Hype had pretty average EC's but wrote a cracking ps and reflected on them well so I imagine it's just as much about that!
Original post by Dr. Django
Just saw the new weightings and I'm hoping that they benefit me (although from what I've seen in this thread my stats are anything but special :tongue:)

My main query is that I only did 3 AS exams as my other subject is a Pre-U (the exams are all taken at the end of A2!) I got 3 A's at AS and I'm predicted D1 in History (my 4th) which is equivalent to above an A* apparently!!

Would the fact I only have 3AS hold me back or do you reckon they'd just use my history prediction as my 4th AS (calling it an A rather than A*?) I just realised this could be an issue in what is otherwise looking pretty promising!! Thanks :smile:

If you're taking 3 A2s and an AS level, or 4 A2s this year - it doesn't matter that your 4th subject in lower sixth was a pre-U. Even if it did matter, the university accept pre-Us as a qualification, so it'd be fine anyway.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If you're taking 3 A2s and an AS level, or 4 A2s this year - it doesn't matter that your 4th subject in lower sixth was a pre-U. Even if it did matter, the university accept pre-Us as a qualification, so it'd be fine anyway.

Awesome!!! I was worried as I am doing a mix of both! I'm doing 3A2 and 1 pre u this year :smile: hopefully any offer I might have gotten would be AAAM2 (that would take the pressure off of history!!)
Or could it possibly be lower than an m2?

Can you think of any reason why Edinburgh's student satisfaction is quite a bit lower than a lot of the other unis? ?? I was under the impression it is a wonderful place to live! Do you see a lot of people being unhappy or does it surprise you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone else going to the open day on monday?? I can't wait!! It's going to take forever to get there but I bet it'll be worth it :L
Reply 91
Anyone else going to the open day on monday?? I can't wait!! It's going to take forever to get there but I bet it'll be worth it :L

I was going to, but then it clashed with school's pre-season training :mad:
Original post by Lucy_95

Edinburgh's non academic score is scored out of 9 by 2 selectors using the following guidelines:

PERSONAL QUALITIES
suitability for medical practice
interpersonal relationships & skills
verbal and written communication skills

CAREER EXPLORATION
application informed or naïve?
understanding of the nature of medical education & practice through reading & discussion
experience of working with diseased, disadvantaged or disabled people through work experience prior
to application

NON-ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
broad range of interests and achievements for example in music, arts or sports
achievements at local, national or international level
evidence of leadership abilities & organisational skills & evidence of social responsibility.

Basically, there are 3 points for each category and within each category there are three boxes to tick. In terms of non-academic achievements, I would say you definitely show a 'broad range of interests and achievements for example in music, arts or sports' and 'achievements at local, national or international level ' and possibly organisational skills. However, also try to include stuff in your PS that demonstrates leadership and social responsibility. Voluntary work could be good for this.
Original post by Asklepios
Edinburgh's non academic score is scored out of 9 by 2 selectors using the following guidelines:

PERSONAL QUALITIES
suitability for medical practice
interpersonal relationships & skills
verbal and written communication skills

CAREER EXPLORATION
application informed or naïve?
understanding of the nature of medical education & practice through reading & discussion
experience of working with diseased, disadvantaged or disabled people through work experience prior
to application

NON-ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
broad range of interests and achievements for example in music, arts or sports
achievements at local, national or international level
evidence of leadership abilities & organisational skills & evidence of social responsibility.

Basically, there are 3 points for each category and within each category there are three boxes to tick. In terms of non-academic achievements, I would say you definitely show a 'broad range of interests and achievements for example in music, arts or sports' and 'achievements at local, national or international level ' and possibly organisational skills. However, also try to include stuff in your PS that demonstrates leadership and social responsibility. Voluntary work could be good for this.

Note that it isn't literally a box to tick and the score given is a subjective measure of how well the selector feels you've fulfilled what's listed.

Be wary of giving advice about subjective measures, bro - how well we think someone fulfils the categories above is pretty useless. There's more thought that goes on behind the scenes than what we get to see.
Reply 94
If I one an academic award at school is it best to put that in my personal statement or get my school to put it in the reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95

I wish I could come...:sad:
Original post by Medicine .
I wish I could come...:sad:

:frown: how come you can't??
Reply 97
:frown: how come you can't??

I live too far away (outside the UK)... :sad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Medicine .
I live too far away (outside the UK)...:sad:

Ah :/ I live 7-8 hours away by car but still in uk!!! where are you from??
Reply 99
Ah :/ I live 7-8 hours away by car but still in uk!!! where are you from??

:sad:France:sad:. If only the open days were in November... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending