The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jenn.

Transferring to Medicine MBChB

Medical Sciences students will not normally be able to transfer to the MBChB programme. Up to five offers for entry into Year 2 of the Edinburgh MBChB will be made to final-year Medical Sciences undergraduates. Application for these places should be made through UCAS.
Medical Sciences undergraduates applying to the MBChB should have the appropriate academic qualifications and need to sit the UKCAT and be interviewed along with other graduate applicants.
Offers are made before the end of the first semester of Year 4 of the Medical Sciences degree.

Please note that this refers to the Medical Sciences programme at Edinburgh. For people studying (bio)medical sciences at other universities, or studying any other degree at university, they give more offers for (it's uncapped afaik) and they have to start from year 1 of the MBChB.
Reply 1001
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Please note that this refers to the Medical Sciences programme at Edinburgh. For people studying (bio)medical sciences at other universities, or studying any other degree at university, they give more offers for (it's uncapped afaik) and they have to start from year 1 of the MBChB.

Ahh, okay. :smile:
Reply 1002
Original post by DonGreeky
Sure I'm not the only one feeling helplessly impatient!! Is there any indication as to how far edinburgh have got, ie number of rejections given, number of rejections left to give, timeframe until offers come out, anything?!! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel exactly the same. I spoke to 3 of the staff from medicine admissions on the day of my interview on Wednesday, and asked what the earliest we'd hear offers. The rumours are true and if it's an offer we just won't hear anything until March (/IMO maybe late Feb!!??) - grads included.

I guess just try not to let it consume you, easier said than done I know! I'm going nuts here too. The longer you wait the better, there's no way you can guess the dates rejections can come out I suppose. Could be a slow trickle until March. Hold tight. I hate not knowing as well, I need to sort my plan B out if it's a Rej!

EDIT: Ahhh... so you're actually waiting to hear so you can firm KCL. Awkward. *Retracts sympathy :colondollar:
Got an offer on Tuesday, definitely firming!!

congrats to that
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jemc7
I feel exactly the same. I spoke to 3 of the staff from medicine admissions on the day of my interview on Wednesday, and asked what the earliest we'd hear offers. The rumours are true and if it's an offer we just won't hear anything until March (/IMO maybe late Feb!!??) - grads included.

I guess just try not to let it consume you, easier said than done I know! I'm going nuts here too. The longer you wait the better, there's no way you can guess the dates rejections can come out I suppose. Could be a slow trickle until March. Hold tight. I hate not knowing as well, I need to sort my plan B out if it's a Rej!

EDIT: Ahhh... so you're actually waiting to hear so you can firm KCL. Awkward. *Retracts sympathy :colondollar:

congrats to that

Haha sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This may be a little cheeky...but if you are indeed 100% sure you'll firm kings could you withdraw from Edinburgh? :tongue:
If you're still undecided than don't worry of course, but if you truly are 100% sure, please do us all a favour :wink:
Original post by Dr. Django
This may be a little cheeky...but if you are indeed 100% sure you'll firm kings could you withdraw from Edinburgh? :tongue:
If you're still undecided than don't worry of course, but if you truly are 100% sure, please do us all a favour :wink:

Haha no no I do understand, my '100% sure' statement was probably my disbelief speaking a lil bit :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1006
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
I can tell you that my ukcat was 692.5, and I was in the third quartile. Ukcat scores for applicants who have applied to edinburgh this year are very competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear about your rejection- it's so unpredictable without an interview. (Also shocked to hear that your UKCAT is in third quartile- unbelievable!) Have your heard back from any of your other options yet?

Also, sorry if this is very insensitive (feel free to ignore) but I've just been stalking last year's thread, and in the feedback people were told where they ranked in terms of the applicant pool. Did Edinburgh give you this info in your feedback?
(edited 10 years ago)
Would there be any point to applying if you only got 4A* in gcse instead of 6?
Original post by League_Masters
Would there be any point to applying if you only got 4A* in gcse instead of 6?

*Instead of 7.

Yeah there would, but you'd need VERY good stats in everything else to be competitive.
On EUCLID, it says my passport details are "Not Recorded".. I'm a Scottish applicant - is that bit just for international applicants or have I missed something out? :P
Reply 1010
Original post by nodiggity
On EUCLID, it says my passport details are "Not Recorded".. I'm a Scottish applicant - is that bit just for international applicants or have I missed something out? :P

I think it's just for international applicants. :smile:
*Instead of 7.

Yeah there would, but you'd need VERY good stats in everything else to be competitive.

****, I only got 3, well I'm screwed then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by robrob9595
****, I only got 3, well I'm screwed then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brah, don't listen to me, I'm just an applicant like you and everything I say is guesswork based on my opinion so don't listen to it! I was advising from a kind of 'conservative' position, ie. where someone would be in a VERY good position to apply! Obviously people get in with 3A* or whatever every year, I was just advising what I would do! Personally I would apply elsewhere as I'm a pussy and try and play as safe as possible :tongue:

But that doesn't mean I'm correct!

Good luck bro
(edited 10 years ago)
Brah, don't listen to me, I'm just an applicant like you and everything I say is guesswork based on my opinion so don't listen to it! I was advising from a kind of 'conservative' position, ie. where someone would be in a VERY good position to apply! Obviously people get in with 3A* or whatever every year, I was just advising what I would do! Personally I would apply elsewhere as I'm a pussy and try and play as safe as possible :tongue:

But that doesn't mean I'm correct!

Good luck bro

Haha, It's cool, and thanks good luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the way Django , I too am in a very similar situation as you .International , No offers - no rejections . 3 interviews ( Dundee , Leicester , Newcastle ) 4 th being Edinburgh , frm where I would expect a rejection soon) . Hope to get in somewhere . Fingers crossed n wish you best of luck ..!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purpledoc
By the way Django , I too am in a very similar situation as you .International , No offers - no rejections . 3 interviews ( Dundee , Leicester , Newcastle ) 4 th being Edinburgh , frm where I would expect a rejection soon) . Hope to get in somewhere . Fingers crossed n wish you best of luck ..!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are pretty much the same apart from I'm a UK applicant! I too have had interviews at newcastle and Leicester! There's a decent chance we could end up at the same place :biggrin:
Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 1016
I'm not sure how many points I'd get for my GCSE's as I got 5 A*'s 4 A's and 1 b. It'd be helpful if someone gave me an indication :biggrin:
Original post by Becky.96
I'm not sure how many points I'd get for my GCSE's as I got 5 A*'s 4 A's and 1 b. It'd be helpful if someone gave me an indication :biggrin:

You'd get 2/5 for that, because of the B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1018
Original post by sausagerolled
You'd get 2/5 for that, because of the B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought so, stupid History :confused: Looks Like I've got a rejection then
Original post by Becky.96
I thought so, stupid History :confused: Looks Like I've got a rejection then

I dont think thats right - they take your top 9 so you wouldn't lose out for your B!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending