As Critical Thinking Watch

This discussion is closed.
Originalmitch
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi guys

Is anyone doing this course or did you do it last year/previous years etc? My brother is being given this as an option by his school but he doesn't know whether to take it or not. Anyone got any thoughts or advice about it??

Ta.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did AS Critical Thinking, and I'd say that it can be useful in that it teaches you how to unpick and criticise arguments, so developing analytical skills. Having said that, I also found it quite boring, as you are taught how to do something and then endlessly repeat it. I found it reallly sharpened my mind and helped in that way with my other subjects, but I would only recommend it as a useful extra, not something that would stand up as a subject in its own right. Another point; Critical Thinking would be an especially good subject to do if your brother is thinking of applying for any courses which use the Thinking Skills assessment, LSAT, BMAT or any other selective tests (Oxbridge, Nottingham, UCL, probably other unis as well)
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
I did AS Critical Thinking, and I'd say that it can be useful in that it teaches you how to unpick and criticise arguments, so developing analytical skills. Having said that, I also found it quite boring, as you are taught how to do something and then endlessly repeat it. I found it reallly sharpened my mind and helped in that way with my other subjects, but I would only recommend it as a useful extra, not something that would stand up as a subject in its own right. Another point; Critical Thinking would be an especially good subject to do if your brother is thinking of applying for any courses which use the Thinking Skills assessment, LSAT, BMAT or any other selective tests (Oxbridge, Nottingham, UCL, probably other unis as well)
It's good for law....cos the new LNAT tests are very similar to crit thinking

G
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
It's good for law....cos the new LNAT tests are very similar to crit thinking
Yeah, anyone who has done critical thinking is going to have a major advantage in those since it is 95% answering technique. Once you learn how to pick apart and analyse an argument it is quite easy. I did the AS and AEA in the second year, as sort of "enrichment" or whatever they call it that we had to do alongside A2s. It was quite fun, we had a very good teacher as she was one of the people who write the exams. We spent about half the time learning the technique and half the time having random discussions, my favourite lessons that year! I second Minta's advice that it might not be enough as a subject on it's own, but as an alternative to general studies sort of thing it would be good.
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oxford interviewers loved AS critical thinking. Have posted more about this elsewhere so search for it.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Originalmitch)
Hi guys

Is anyone doing this course or did you do it last year/previous years etc? My brother is being given this as an option by his school but he doesn't know whether to take it or not. Anyone got any thoughts or advice about it??

Ta.
I do critical thinking AS and I (and everyone i know) find it boring and useless. But maybe that's just us.
SHH
Report 15 years ago
I did AS Thinking Skills, which is the same thing. It was made into a compulsory subect by my college, which kinda sucked, in a way. It's definitely not a heavy subject... no preparation required at all for the exams. As long as you've got a good command of the language, and decent analytical skills, it'll be a breeze. Can't say I enjoyed it, though. Quite boring, not something I would take up if I had the option.
It does, however give you an edge in Oxbridge applications. Beginning this year, Cambridge is giving a Thinking Skills Assessment for all Engineering applicants, so doing the subject gives you the practice...
Jamie Frost
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Critical Thinking is possibly the most evilly boring subject ever.
It's useful if you're doing that new Cambridge thinking skills exam (whatever its called) but otherwise stay clear of it.
The reason I say this is because the grade you get seems to have no correlation to your intelligence. Of the 12 people who get into Oxbridge in our school, all but 1 got Cs. It was some of the 'less academic' people who got the higher grades surprisingly.
The last thing you want is to get a grade requirement in it!
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Critical Thinking is a rather adept way of measuring untaught intelligence and aptitude, and this is the reason it is despised by so many. Many people simply cannot cope with a subject that they are unable to revise for. There is a world of difference between getting an A in CT and an A in other subjects. Fortunatly, universities realise this is one of the best ways of weeding out the 'revising-robots', from other, more naturally capable students. Already there's anecdotal evidence that a low grade in CT will kick an Oxbridge application into touch, so you do have to think very carefully about taking it.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jamie Frost)
Critical Thinking is possibly the most evilly boring subject ever.
It's useful if you're doing that new Cambridge thinking skills exam (whatever its called) but otherwise stay clear of it.
The reason I say this is because the grade you get seems to have no correlation to your intelligence. Of the 12 people who get into Oxbridge in our school, all but 1 got Cs. It was some of the 'less academic' people who got the higher grades surprisingly.
The last thing you want is to get a grade requirement in it!
Jamie.....you're a liar!!! The reason most oxbridge ppl in our skl didn't do so well in the test is cos they didn't put any effort into it at all!!! I know for a fact most of them had offers that didn't rely on CT...so they just did f all preparation for the exam!!!

G
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.19%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.28%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (89)
19.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.39%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.59%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.11%