The Student Room Group

Best (and maybe worst) commercial airlines you've been on?

One of my lifetime wishes (Sims 3 much? :biggrin:) is to travel the world. Now, I know that many different airlines have their strengths and weaknesses, as well as destinations. Since travelling the world will require different flights, I would like anyone's input regarding the various airlines this world has to offer; whether it is personal experience or objective analysis.

You can even list all the airlines you've been on! Please, don't hesitate to share your experiences :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

One word: Ryanair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Emirates or Etihad. Make sure you request a special meal. Top tip!
Reply 3
Emirates and Virgin Atlantic and my favourite airlines to travel on. KLM and BA shortly behind them.

Worst are any short haul operators. I attempted to travel Easyjet once. Customer service was so appalling at the airport that I walked to the BA desk and booked a ticket with them there and then instead.
Ryanair was AWFUL. They didn't even go through the safety procedures...
Flybe and SAS were both really good (economy). Virgin Atlantic wasn't bad either but not as enjoyable (but that's probably because it was was a much longer flight).
Easyjet really wasn't that bad either tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
I fly BA when I fly longhaul, and I've never had an issue with them - although their newer planes are infinitely better than the older ones. The most comfortable plane journey I've had was flying with BA to New York - but the flight back was one of the worst. And half the entertainment screens didn't work.

Short-haul, I've flown with EasyJet and Ryanair a fair few times. I have no complaints about either of them - you know when you book with a budget airline that it's hardly going to compare to BA etc. but I've never had any particular issues with them and, IMO, the amount you save is worth it (flew to Rome and back earlier this month with EasyJet for £70. Same flight on BA would have been £300+ return.).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I've been on Lufthansa, Jet Airways, KLM, North West and Air India

Personally, I like Lufthansa and Jet Airways the most...
Once, I drew a picture of a plane (I think I was 6 then), and the flight attendants really liked it, so they offered to take me up to the cockpit - of course only till the door, as it was locked, but I got to see a few cool things on my way. This was a Jet Airways flight I think.
Reply 7
Best for me was LAN which is a South American airline.
Worst airline would have to be Indian Airlines (before it merged with Air India).
Reply 8
Qantas and Emirates are good and I haven't been on any bad airlines :smile:
Reply 9
I think that Virgin Atlantic and Jet Airways were both really good :smile:
Reply 10
I've only been on PIA and Turkish airlines. and prefer turkish airline tbh. But apparently Gulf airlines is very good. :smile:
I had never heard of them before I travelled with them once but Germania are the only airline I have ever used that has served plane food that was actually really nice. (It's not just Germany they fly to though because this was a trip to Greece). And the service was really nice - the air hostesses were really smiley and they gave everyone sweets for takeoff and landing. Would definitely recommend if you want a relaxing flight. Air China's food is revolting though.
KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) I would say is probably one of the best airlines to fly with. I've been with many airlines and KLM have been great. They are very eco friendly, great service, the company really cares about their passengers, its quite cheap depending where you fly and they're very friendly!
Ah where to start? :lol:

Russian airlines are all crap, seriously avoid them if you can. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are equally crap in economy and then its just BA that's crap from business onwards, VS is rather good for first class travel. Emirates and Etihad are amazing when it comes to first class travel, never flown economy or business with either so cannot comment. Lufthansa (and associated airlines, Austrian, Swiss etc) are probably the best low cost carrier for Europe, nearly all others (EasyJet, RyanAir etc) suck majorly.

Overall if you're flying economy, you'll never be happy with the service you receive, fly first class and only first class if you want to be somewhat happy with your travels.
Reply 14
Oh yes I fly first class with Emirates and Etihad I wouldn't fly in any economy service it doesn't meet my requirements , no one could ever enjoy the economy service. Virgin and Ba are for peasants, not like me.

Can I just remind you I only fly FIRST class, business class is also not up to my standards.

Once again I would like to confirm I fly first class ONLY and any other class should be AVOIDED.

Thankyou
Original post by Zyyz
Oh yes I fly first class with Emirates and Etihad I wouldn't fly in any economy service it doesn't meet my requirements , no one could ever enjoy the economy service. Virgin and Ba are for peasants, not like me.

Can I just remind you I only fly FIRST class, business class is also not up to my standards.

Once again I would like to confirm I fly first class ONLY and any other class should be AVOIDED.

Thankyou

Look you smart arse, for me economy is uncomfortable, you don't get a very good level of service (although VS upper class leaves a lot of be desired lately) and for the price, it isn't worth it.

Economy shouldn't be avoided, you should just pick wisely as for instance if you were to fly to Europe on a low cost carrier, Lufthansa provides a better service than EasyJet and RyanAir for example so if you don't mind a stop-over in Munich then you'd fly with the better carrier which is sometimes cheaper than the aforementioned cesspits. That said for long haul, business and above, economy kills.
I can't name a bad airline, but the two flights of recent memory were Continental in 2009 (before they merged with United) and Virgin Atlantic in 2012, and I thought both were really good.
Reply 17
For me SyrianAir was the worst.
Reply 18
Worst, Ryan Air.

Not a shred of a doubt.
Reply 19
Original post by tehFrance
Look you smart arse, for me economy is uncomfortable, you don't get a very good level of service (although VS upper class leaves a lot of be desired lately) and for the price, it isn't worth it.

Economy shouldn't be avoided, you should just pick wisely as for instance if you were to fly to Europe on a low cost carrier, Lufthansa provides a better service than EasyJet and RyanAir for example so if you don't mind a stop-over in Munich then you'd fly with the better carrier which is sometimes cheaper than the aforementioned cesspits. That said for long haul, business and above, economy kills.

I agree business and above, people like us need to be protected from the diseases of the economy cabin. Eww I feel woozey even talking about it.

There was one time I ventured into the economy cabin on my way home from NYC, I had a few thousand dollars spare notes so I did a money shower, then sprinted back to the first class area before I passed out haha.

Quick Reply

Latest