Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you thibk religion and science are similar as they both require a leap of faith and inrepretation. So for example the evidnece for the big bang could be interpreted by some scientist as evidence there is a cretor)GOD. Also beleivers of bignang have no evidence it actually happened but just believe scientist that there is evidence. This is the same accusation pointed at religion. Also in science like in some religions there are orgarnised structure diffrent schools of thoughts with leaders.
    SO in many ways science is like a religion

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Science is nothing like religion.

For more on this topic, see Reason, Evidence, Tolerance, Peacefulness, Logic and other related material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poseidon hero)
    Do you thibk religion and science are similar as they both require a leap of faith and inrepretation. So for example the evidnece for the big bang could be interpreted by some scientist as evidence there is a cretor)GOD. Also beleivers of bignang have no evidence it actually happened but just believe scientist that there is evidence. This is the same accusation pointed at religion. Also in science like in some religions there are orgarnised structure diffrent schools of thoughts with leaders.
    so much wrong here I'm not even going to bother.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. Science is based on experiments, evidence and logical reasoning, whilst religion is based on having faith in your beliefs and being guided by a very old outdated book.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Science is progressive. Religion on the other hand... :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    There are some similarities.

For instance, the general public will often immediately take what scientists say as 100% truth.
    Many people believe in the big bang even though they themselves haven't seen any evidence for it.
    (NB: I am not saying that the big bang theory is wrong here!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No. Science says hey this happens and you can prove it by doing this and observing. Religion says this happens because this book says it happens.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In no way is religion: rational, objective, replicable or empirical.

Science is. So no.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there probably was a bloke called Jesus 2000 years ago who was very nice and excellent at articulating universal global ethics and educating individuals on personal morality. We also know people were extremely easily-influenced by those who were able to express themselves in such a way. People also thought the world was flat, those who commit adultery should be stoned and that women were second-class citizens.

I do not believe he rose from the dead, the blood to wine, walking on water etc..

And, at the risk of sounding offensive, religion itself shares many of the symptoms of a type 1 Paranoid Schizophrenic. Hallucinations, delusions, the belief that they are governed by external forces. Science doesn't.

By all means, science is not perfect. Definitely not. It's constantly moving forward, for better and for worse, just like religion. But for me, the 20th century was the point in which Science became the dominant and Religion became secondary. If science was like religion, this wouldn't have happened.

ReputationRep:
    You need to learn the art of proofreading.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Science starts off with some ideas about how you should look at the world to obtain truth, the scientific method, and applies them to questions people have. Obviously people on TSR will say that religion requires faith and science does not, but ultimately a scientist must have faith that the scientific method is a good way to observe the natural world.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not trolling, I took all three sciences for A level and I didn't fail; not that any of that should even matter.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be negged but YES, science and religion have some similarities.
    ALL HUMAN SYSTEMS OF GENERATING KNOWLEDGE ARE AXIOMATIC (they can be reduced to a set of assumptions) and this puts science and religion in the same box. They both can be reduced to a set of axioms (things that are taken for granted). Theistic religion has faith in the existence of a God and his partial benevolence towards humans, also faith in metaphysical realms called Hell and Heaven. Science has reason and empiricism. The axioms of reason are Aristotle's laws of thought. The axiom of empiricism is the belief that you can trust your senses. However, unlike religion, science works. Planes, computers, chemistry work under scientific laws. It is actually this fact (whether or not it works) what separates science and religion. Science can be tested and everything (even the very axioms of scientific reason) is open to debate, that is why science suffers dramatic changes every century. Religion however can't be tested and pretty much nothing can be debated. Any aspect of religion that is put under question is invariably met with anger and distress. And unlike science, religion does not really change every century, in fact, religion places an emphasis on tradition (the core of tradition is repetition for the sake of it). At the end of the day, science and religion are both axiomatic systems of knowledge generation. But science and religion are also essentially incompatible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)

For instance, the general public will often immediately take what scientists say as 100% truth.
    Many people believe in the big bang theory even though they themselves haven't seen any evidence for it.
    Good point. But this is not intrinsic to science but about members of the public who believe in the scientific method without understanding what it is and how it works. Unfortunately, the shift from religion to science as the authority of truth did not made people act like rational thinkers. Instead, a big chunk of the public swapped religion for science and priests for scientists.

ReputationRep:
    They both have similiarities (but you could say that about anything). Yeah they both do require assumptions or as you call them leaps of faith, basically because our mind is unable to know what is true, it's biased and oversimplifies things. The human mind was not made to seek truth and so any field of study which endeavours to search for the truth is ultimately flawed.

Sciene deals with the natural whereas Religion deals with the supernatural.

Science is usually a more honest field of study because it deals with more concrete things, instead of things that are more metaphorical in nature.

ReputationRep:
    If a meteor falls to Earth,science can prevent it but a religion; a formed faith cannot prevent the meteor falling.If we speak because you have to be faithful,inspired to be a scientist It is same for every aspect of your life.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all.

If you were interested, you could look at the evidence for the big bang, such as the red light shift. Can you provide data or evidence in support of a religion?

How could a reasonable, clear thinking person leap from 'big bang' to 'there must be a creator'? That's simply illogical.

What do you mean we have no evidence? The redshift/Doppler effect is observable by you. You can go out and find the evidence for yourself. The whole point of science is that it's observable and repeatable; not that oh some guy said this so it must be true.

Religion, on the other hand, gives no, zero, zilch evidence of any kind. That's the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only going to reply because it's essential that you understand this. No.

ReputationRep:
    I think my 6 year old cousin has more of a grasp on what science is that you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)

Many people believe in the big bang theory even though they themselves haven't seen any evidence for it.
    The crucial difference being that scientists don't require you to accept them as authorities, and the Big Bang Theory is always open to rebuttal.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but a tenuous link could be found between any two notions. For example, religious texts could be linked to fairy tales. Science and religion still are two completely different subjects not even on spectrum that starts with science and ends with religion- one could be a priest and a scientist without contradicting themselves.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.