The Student Room Group

Which laptop is best for medical school?

I need a laptop for starting medical school this September and am trying to decide on which model would be best to go for. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could offer!!

I need to find a good quality laptop for under 800 euro/700 Sterling. Preferably a business quality laptop with at an i5 or i7 processor, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, at least 4GB RAM, an optical drive and would prefer a 15-17" screen and a monitor resolution of at least 1280 x 800. Ideally, I would like to use the laptop as a desktop replacement. However, I can't decide if I should opt for a smaller, lighter laptop instead with longer battery life that I would be able to easily carry around college.

Medical students: what would you recommend?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't think there are any special computer requirements for medicine, but if you want a laptop to take into lectures then I would think a 13 inch screen would suit better. 15 and definitely 17 inch screen laptops tend not to be very portable and may take up too much room in the often small lecture hall desks.

There are lots of laptops to choose from in that category, just look around and find one that suits. I know lenovo have a good reputation for business quality so you might want to give them a look (although they don't do a student discount :frown: ).
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by Gotakibono
I need a laptop for starting medical school this September and am trying to decide on which model would be best to go for. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could offer!!

I need to find a good quality laptop for under 800 euro/700 Sterling. Preferably a business quality laptop with at an i5 or i7 processor, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, at least 4GB RAM, an optical drive and would prefer a 15-17" screen and a monitor resolution of at least 1280 x 800. Ideally, I would like to use the laptop as a desktop replacement. However, I can't decide if I should opt for a smaller, lighter laptop instead with longer battery life that I would be able to easily carry around college.

Medical students: what would you recommend?

Apart from the basic usage and office...............any other usage for it?

The only range with business quality is the thinkpad range......do also remember that a laptop i5 is a dual core http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_ThinkPad_Edge_E531_1368818.html
Something robust, the Dells are good and Lenovo (previously IBM) Thinkpads.
Reply 5
I would recommend an Asus or Lenovo. Don't buy anything made by Dell, Acer, Sony or Toshiba.
Reply 6
Definitely get something smaller than 15 inch. There's is nothing portable about a 17 inch laptop, I've had one and it just defeats the point of having a laptop really. I'm also going to medical school I think I'll personally be getting a Sony, you can customise their laptops to whatever you want. They're a bit expensive for the specs you get but they last a really long time (my boyfriend'd one has served him well for 5 years so far!) and look great. Even their smaller screens offer 1600x900 resolution, and if you found it useful you could get one that has a touch screen.
If you want something that's more value for money there's loads of amazing deals in the Dell outlet store on their website.
Reply 7
Thanks very much everyone for your advice and for telling me about saveonlaptops.co.uk! I decided to go with this Lenovo ultrabook:
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_Ideapad_U310_UltraBook_1256872.html

The processor is only an i3, rather than i5, but I think that this should be sufficient for what I will be using it for. I really couldn't go past this ultrabook for the price!

So far, I'm very happy with it! Thanks again! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending