The Student Room Group

Firm and insurance offers help!?!

I have just received an unconditional from my insurance but still waiting on my firm choice (due to a resit I won't get until 21st-22nd August) I definitely do not want to go to my insurance offer and if I don't get into my firm does this mean I have to go my insurance offer??? If so how can I reject it as I'd rather go through clearing. Please help
Xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jo07
I have just received an unconditional from my insurance but still waiting on my firm choice (due to a resit I won't get until 21st-22nd August) I definitely do not want to go to my insurance offer and if I don't get into my firm does this mean I have to go my insurance offer??? If so how can I reject it as I'd rather go through clearing. Please help
Xx

When you know if you have got your firm or not. If it turns out you did not get the grades you require then you can ring up UCAS and ask them to reject the insurance choice for you and then get a clearing number.

If you want any advice on clearing just ask as I myself went through clearing and I worked on an Universities hotline for clearing last year and i am going to be doing the same this year as well.
Reply 2
Original post by L4L4
When you know if you have got your firm or not. If it turns out you did not get the grades you require then you can ring up UCAS and ask them to reject the insurance choice for you and then get a clearing number.

If you want any advice on clearing just ask as I myself went through clearing and I worked on an Universities hotline for clearing last year and i am going to be doing the same this year as well.

Somebody had told me that I had to reject within 7 days of receiving it? Is this not true? Regarding clearing is there any Russell group UNI's in clearing e.g. Manchester, Leeds? Or any others
Reply 3
The way i always got told it worked was if you not get your firm, but you get the grades for the insurance you automatically accept your insurance. If you then decide you don't want to go to your insurance you can reject and go into clearing. If you want to make sure of this I suggest you ring up UCAS.
UCAS releases a list of Unis that are in clearing around midnight of the day before you get your results. I wouldnt just focus on russell group as well as russell group Unis are normally higher up the rankings due to research, not teaching quality, i.e. some non-russell group Unis are actually better at teaching you the material to do with your course.
Reply 4
Original post by L4L4
The way i always got told it worked was if you not get your firm, but you get the grades for the insurance you automatically accept your insurance. If you then decide you don't want to go to your insurance you can reject and go into clearing. If you want to make sure of this I suggest you ring up UCAS.
UCAS releases a list of Unis that are in clearing around midnight of the day before you get your results. I wouldnt just focus on russell group as well as russell group Unis are normally higher up the rankings due to research, not teaching quality, i.e. some non-russell group Unis are actually better at teaching you the material to do with your course.

Great advice! And very useful thank you :-) I really really hope I get the grades. I can't cope with stress arghh!
Reply 5
Original post by jo07
Somebody had told me that I had to reject within 7 days of receiving it? Is this not true? Regarding clearing is there any Russell group UNI's in clearing e.g. Manchester, Leeds? Or any others

There are usually a small handful of russell group universities, however this heavily depends on your course.

E.g. Theres a much higher chance of getting into one for lets say German, than a popular subject like Law or English
Reply 6
Original post by jo07
Xx
Check out Changing your Mind.
I feel like so many people are rejecting their insurance. Why is that? I'll be happy wherever I get in.
Reply 8
Original post by Jkizer
There are usually a small handful of russell group universities, however this heavily depends on your course.

E.g. Theres a much higher chance of getting into one for lets say German, than a popular subject like Law or English

Thank you I thought this too
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva

I have read through this but it doesn't tell me the process of declining my insurance
Reply 10
Original post by Coffeetime
I feel like so many people are rejecting their insurance. Why is that? I'll be happy wherever I get in.

I'm not happy with my insurance because I have done really really well in my course which I wasn't expecting so I don't want to go to the insurance uni with the grades that I got.
Original post by jo07
I'm not happy with my insurance because I have done really really well in my course which I wasn't expecting so I don't want to go to the insurance uni with the grades that I got.

Makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jo07
I have read through this but it doesn't tell me the process of declining my insurance
You don't decline your insurance. You ask the uni (ask, not tell) concerned if they are willing to reject you (if your offer is still conditional) or release you (if your offer is unconditional). It's all there in the article: you contact the uni to start with.

By the way, you may have done better than you expected but there are no guarantees that having cancelled your insurance option that you will do better anywhere else.
Reply 13
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what does firm and insurance mean? I always see these terms but have no clue lol. I'm applying next year, 2014.
Original post by ddtown
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what does firm and insurance mean? I always see these terms but have no clue lol. I'm applying next year, 2014.

You apply through UCAS to a maximum of five universities. Some of those universities will (hopefully!) give you an offer.

From the offers you have received, you then choose the university that you would most like to go to, grades permitting. This is your firm university.

You also choose a university that you would like to go to, if you missed your offer from your firm. This will normally have a lower offer than your firm choice.

You're clearly quite new to the process, and you should receive some info from your school or college, but in the meantime I would suggest having a look through this guide http://ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate
Reply 15
Original post by Minerva
You don't decline your insurance. You ask the uni (ask, not tell) concerned if they are willing to reject you (if your offer is still conditional) or release you (if your offer is unconditional). It's all there in the article: you contact the uni to start with.

By the way, you may have done better than you expected but there are no guarantees that having cancelled your insurance option that you will do better anywhere else.

To be fair I know ill do better somewhere else because I picked a uni that's got really low stastistics and not a great reputation. I exceeded their grade boundaries by 3 grades so I think it makes sense to decline and hope there's a better offer (if I don't get into my firm).
Original post by jo07
Xx

Original post by jo07
To be fair I know ill do better somewhere else because I picked a uni that's got really low stastistics and not a great reputation. I exceeded their grade boundaries by 3 grades so I think it makes sense to decline and hope there's a better offer (if I don't get into my firm).

If you wont have your resit results until 21/22nd August then your firm wont be able to reject you (or hopefully not!) until that point.

You don't enter clearing until your firm rejects you and so you're not likely to be in clearing until around a week after it has opened.

Many MANY universities will have pulled out of clearing by this point but until you're IN clearing you can't approach universities who may be willing to take you without the resit grade (well you can APPROACH them but UCAS rules say that unis aren't allowed to talk to you).

If you're sure you don't want to go to your insurance then you should definitely get in touch with them ASAP to avoid any further delays - however bear in mind that you may well be disappointed by the range of courses/universities still in clearing by the time you are eligible.:frown:
Reply 17
Original post by jo07
I'd take note of what PQ has said, in your shoes.
Original post by jo07

If you know you won't be happy there, definitely contact them. You could always take a gap year and apply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
[QUOTE="PQ;43727849"]If you wont have your resit results until 21/22nd August then your firm wont be able to reject you (or hopefully not!) until that point.

You don't enter clearing until your firm rejects you and so you're not likely to be in clearing until around a week after it has opened.

Many MANY universities will have pulled out of clearing by this point but until you're IN clearing you can't approach universities who may be willing to take you without the resit grade (well you can APPROACH them but UCAS rules say that unis aren't allowed to talk to you).

If you're sure you don't want to go to your insurance then you should definitely get in touch with them ASAP to avoid any further delays - however bear in mind that you may well be disappointed by the range of courses/universities still in clearing by the time you are eligible.:frown:[/QUOTE
im going to ring my insurance now wish me luck! Thank you for your advice x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending