The Student Room Group

Thoughts on getting married young?

I'm interested to see what the responses would be.

Young in this instance would be 18/19 / 20 .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Naaa, I made some terrible choices when I was 18.

I wouldn't trust myself with that especially important one.
You'd be pretty immature and inexperienced to make such a life changing decision.

Girls in the UK used to get married at that age because they had no opportunity to go out and get experience and mature otherwise unless they were rich of course.

Now thanks to equality both men and women usually get married older.

Or that's one reason anyway.
Too much commitment too early in life, for my liking.
I'm 18 nearly 19 so that sounds pretty scary. Not for me. I'd like to have lived with my partner first for a bit - which is pretty hard at that age.
When I was 19 I had a boyfriend. We talked about getting married. He even told me that if we were still together on my 21st birthday he would propose. Thank god we weren't! I just look back and realise how completely naive and stupid I was even contemplating it. No one knows who they even are at 18/19 let alone who they are gonna want to spend the rest of their lives with.
Women are always favored when the marriage ends. She will be entitled to a great deal of your finances and assets. If children are involved, you done goofed.
I've been with my boyfriend long enough to think about it (over 3 1/2 years), but I simply feel far too young. I remember when I met up with an old friend who I hadn't seen in years, and he asked me if we were thinking about engagement and that just totally threw me as I'd honestly never thought about it around this age. I'm more than happy to get engaged around 22-24 as I feel like I'd be a lot more mature then and ready for something as serious as marriage.
Reply 8
Not something I could do. I have a friend but got engaged when she was 19/20 but her and her fiancé aren't planning on getting married until 2016.
Reply 9
Got with my bf at 18, got engaged got married 8 years later then split after 5 months.... We have a child together too, had a house, car etc etc, I don't think it really matters it depends on the person.... My nan and grandad got married at 16 and divorced at 60! My mum married my dad at 21 and still together....27 years later. I am a mature person always have been if I'd married the same type as me I reckon we'd still be together, but he regressed to uni life and wanted to enjoy the pleasures of single life whilst having a family!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marriage is boring. I'll definitely avoid it until I'm at least 28 or so (but hey, you never know). I can't imagine creating a new family with someone else after I just moved out of my own family.
No flipping way.
Reply 12
Original post by trouble foreseen
Women are always favored when the marriage ends. She will be entitled to a great deal of your finances and assets. If children are involved, you done goofed.

Completely agree with this. Prenup, prenup, prenup.
Reply 13
Too young.

You barely have any life experience and dating experience. I am 23 now and looking at the average age of first marriage, marrying in early twenties would be early.
I didn't date wildly inappropriate guys at 19, but it would still not be right. I've never dated a guy my own age though. Even at 23, I would never marry a 23 year old guy. Most marriages are composed by a man 3-4 years older than the woman.
Reply 14
It's everyone's personal choice. I can only think of one girl from the neighbourhood where I spent my childhood that got married when she was 16 (she was pregnant with her boyfriend) - I don't know if she's still married, but she gave birth to another child when she was 18. I wouldn't like my life to have gone this way, but some people are perfectly satisfied with this. Then there are people who get married at this age, but don't have children until later years and finish their education first.
I would defo! If I had a boyfriend :sexface:
Too young.
That is way too young imo.
Reply 18
Hmmmm, I'm a romantic but somehow I don't think I'll find "the One" anytime soon. Even if I did, I'd be too damn young (or not ready lol) to marry. There's always that pressure of having kids and everything, and I've got uni and work and my future career to think about. Plus I'm way too scared of divorce. The worst consequences of divorce happened to me :frown: and I don't ever want my child(ren) to go through what I did
Reply 19
I think the young lovers are probably caught up in the moment, thinking that they're in love with each other, so I disagree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest