The Student Room Group

Rich girls can't find love!

I've been born into a great deal of wealth; my family is very well-off, and I recently inherited a lot of money from a relative. I'm not classist or anything, and I intend to put it to good use after I graduate by investing and starting my own business, but I always worry about what it might mean for my relationships.

I am currently at university, but I have never had a boyfriend before in my life. I've attracted my fair share of guys, but I haven't liked any of them enough to go out with them, and I am trying to focus on my degree and so on. A lot of those who have asked me out have known about how well-off I am and made it clear this was one of the reasons they found me attractive.

Some of these boys were from rich families themselves, but I just find it repulsive that someone would want to date me not because of who I am but my money. Boys tend to stereotype me without knowing me and assume I am up myself. So I don't like telling people where I'm going on holiday or what my parents do. But then they get annoyed when they do find out. I can't win!

After I graduate, I would love a normal middle-class life, but I know in my heart that's not possible. I want my own business and not a normal job; I am fiercely ambitious and work very hard. I like the thought of the high life, but I could never be some rich guy's trophy wife; in fact, I tend to find boys who haven't been born into money more attractive as they have a tendency to be more humble and have better values. I don't know many self-made rich guys at my age.

Having money brings a certain lifestyle and sometimes that lifestyle feels like a prison in that you get so used to it it's easy to have friends outside that lifestyle but hard to find a guy who wants to get too involved in it. What ordinary working-class or middle-class guy is going to want to marry a rich career-minded girl? I am also Christian, and only want to marry another Christian, which further narrows the field as a lot of Christian guys do not like rich people even if you try to do good with your money.

If I were male, my life would be so much easier; it's much, much more socially acceptable for men to marry women less well off and women are also more keen on the idea of "marrying up" than men. Plus, I wouldn't have to feel like I have to choose between a high-flying career and lifestyle and a normal, stable middle-class lifestyle with a nice husband, 2 kids and a white picket fence. I honestly fancy rich guys less.

Advice? Please keep this anon or delete.
Reply 1
I kind of feel like I'd prefer having less money and being from a normal, average family anyway but I know that is not possible. I do like some of the perks of being rich, to be fair, but it can be a really weird world sometimes.
Reply 2
I do not come from a wealthy family but personally if I did then I wouldn't reveal that except to close friends and partners after a while. I'd rather know someone liked me for who I am rather than my bank balance.

The only way stereotypes get broken is when people go against them, your average person is not going to be interested in the slightest in who is earning the most in someone elses relationship.
Reply 3
Don't compromise your ambition and life style cause you want to live 'average' or middle-class some people strive to be where you are and you were born there.

Well don't ignore the guys that come along because you could miss out on the guy that was 'meant' for you but God surely has something in store for you :smile:.

You will find love. Don't look for it :/ but keep your eyes open for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You needn't tell people "I have a million quid and I'm going to set up my own business with it", just say you intend to set up your own business and steer the conversation away from that subject. Once someone gets to know you they won't be able to assume you are up yourself (they'll either know you aren't or know you are :wink:), so take their reaction to you 'revealing' your plans to them from there. Perhaps they'll run for the hills, perhaps they'll get pound signs in their eyes and start drooling - or they'll simply accept it and be happy for you that you have a clear route to achieving what you want.
Reply 5
Original post by Julyyy
Don't compromise your ambition and life style cause you want to live 'average' or middle-class some people strive to be where you are and you were born there.

Well don't ignore the guys that come along because you could miss out on the guy that was 'meant' for you but God surely has something in store for you :smile:.

You will find love. Don't look for it :/ but keep your eyes open for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my motto, when it comes, it comes! just live your life, have fun, whilst making the most of every opportunity you get :smile:
Reply 6
Well I guess you will have a better chance at where you decide to work for example f you go to the country club ever weekend then you're not going to find what you're looking for but if you go into a job where a lot of working class people are you more likely to find someone who would fit your description and would like they're life but for the love of god don't go around shouting about how you're so rich and want a normal life cuz you will be taken advantage off to put it bluntly.

It's funny because I said to myself if I ever found myself to be well off and looking for love I wouldn't mention it to my gf if i had one by that time for a while until I was sure she would like me for me as I tend to be extremely paranoid :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending