The Student Room Group

Would it annoy you if your flatmates couldn't cook to save their life? +POLL

Poll

Would you be annoyed if your flatmates couldn't cook basic food?

I'll be going into uni (first year) this October, but I don't wanna be the only person in my flat who knows how to cook.

In your experience... to the guys/girls that already have been living in halls, does it annoy you that someone in your flat can't cook? Wouldn't they rely on you all the time to cook up the big meals that everyone shares in the evening, like one big shepherd's pie for everyone to eat........

In my opinion, it would bug me if people didn't know how to cook up the basics like scrambled egg, sausages, etc.

Thanks for all the responses.

James.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not at all.

I could barely cook before I went, but certainly none of my flatmates felt obliged to cook for me...
It's nice if you offer offer to cook for people, I guess, but don't do it just because they can't cook.

Dominoes buy one get one free pizzas will save them.
Only since it means they spend money getting takeaways while you and your little money means you have to budget for the week and not do that
Reply 3
Original post by shezshez
Not at all.

I could barely cook before I went, but certainly none of my flatmates felt obliged to cook for me...
It's nice if you offer offer to cook for people, I guess, but don't do it just because they can't cook.

Dominoes buy one get one free pizzas will save them.

If one of my flatmates couldn't cook but wanted to learn, I would be more than willing to teach them the basics. In fact, I would love to!
Reply 4
Whilst I didn't cook well - my flatmates would cook and we'd all sit around together a few nights a week - one girl loved cooking, so she cooked when it was my turn and I just paid her for the ingredients. It's quite a nice way to get to know one another.. Use your cooking as a bargaining tool - i'll cook - if you wash up. :biggrin:
Original post by James A
I'll be going into uni (first year) this October, but I don't wanna be the only person in my flat who knows how to cook.

In your experience... to the guys/girls that already have been living in halls, does it annoy you that someone in your flat can't cook? Wouldn't they rely on you all the time to cook up the big meals that everyone shares in the evening, like one big shepherd's pie for everyone to eat........

In my opinion, it would bug me if people didn't know how to cook up the basics like scrambled egg, sausages, etc.

James.

Personally I don't think its a bad thing as you could make a bit of money making food for those who can't cook or even buy ingredients in bulk with flatmates so everyone would save. It would annoy me if they kept burning stuff cooking though!
Reply 6
I'm not planning on relying on other people to cook my food, even though I can't really cook well myself. But I mean... how hard can it be?
Reply 7
Can't cook anything but weetabix crew checking in. It wouldn't annoy me though if I could cook and someone else couldn't.
Reply 8
Original post by shezshez
Whilst I didn't cook well - my flatmates would cook and we'd all sit around together a few nights a week - one girl loved cooking, so she cooked when it was my turn and I just paid her for the ingredients. It's quite a nice way to get to know one another.. Use your cooking as a bargaining tool - i'll cook - if you wash up. :biggrin:

I actually don't mind that, I'd offer to cook, but in return, I don't wanna do the dishes :colone:

But what if they don't wash my plates and mugs right? :frown: :frown:

They could rush it, however I never take chances with food. I would call myself a good cook who can do the basics, right up to the medium difficulty foods. I would cook to perfection. :colondollar:
A Delia Smith cookbook doesn't cost too much and won't offend unless any of your flatmates are Ipswich Town supporters- a group of them once wouldn't board a train as it was named after Delia.
Reply 10
Trust me.

1/10 people will know how/want to cook.

The rest don't really cook properly.
Reply 11
I think I cooked two meals all year. And one of those was a sausage and super-noodle sandwich...
No, I don't expect anyone to cook anything for me...

I don't know what you expect of University life, but you won't be sitting round the table having sit down meals cooked by one another (well, no one I knew did), nor will anyone ask you to cook something for them. Flatmate gatherings consist of mainly drinking and takeaways and half the time you'll live off convenience food anyway - if you did have a sit down meal, it's likely to be a massive pot of Spaghetti Bolognese.

Trust me, your flatmate's ability to cook is the least of your worries - it's more the ability to wash up that gets annoying. Me and my flat, although we were close, usually didn't even eat at the same time due to different lecture times and different social commitments...
Reply 13
Original post by James A

James.

Nope it didn't annoy me at all. Everyone in my flat cooked their own meal of some sort, one of my flatmates either didn't know how to cook or didn't like cooking as he pretty much relied on microwaved food/takeaways. I don't really know as he wouldn't talk much... We done a big meal thing very,very rarely! It isn't really your responsibility :laugh: but it's nice to help them learn I suppose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by James A

James.

When I was in halls everyone cooked their own food.
Original post by mellie220
No, I don't expect anyone to cook anything for me...

I don't know what you expect of University life, but you won't be sitting round the table having sit down meals cooked by one another (well, no one I knew did), nor will anyone ask you to cook something for them. Flatmate gatherings consist of mainly drinking and takeaways and half the time you'll live off convenience food anyway - if you did have a sit down meal, it's likely to be a massive pot of Spaghetti Bolognese.

Trust me, your flatmate's ability to cook is the least of your worries - it's more the ability to wash up that gets annoying. Me and my flat, although we were close, usually didn't even eat at the same time due to different lecture times and different social commitments...

Your flat sound exactly the same as mine!
I think most people do know how to do the very basics, and I wouldn't worry about the whole group meals thing. Most people will at least learn how to rustle up a shepherds pie or spag bol, and besides which, you may not find time/want to eat together; everyone will have different comitmments and timetables for a start.

I was really the only person who cooked actual proper food in my first year, but I don't actually think it was that my flatmates couldn't cook, it was that they'd convinced themselves so much that it must be hard so they just didn't bother. A few times they commented that what I'd made myself for dinner looked nicer than what they were putting in the oven, but they didn't seem to believe me when I said it was really easy to make (and it was-I rarely spend more than 20 minutes cooking, my favorite things are where you can just throw everything into the same pan/dish). :erm:
I had a housemate last year who couldn't cook the simplest of meals.

He once put a pizza in the oven, noting that it took 12-14 mins on Gas Mark x. 20 minutes later he comes to my room and says, "It's melted." The problem isn't only that he let it cook 50% longer than the packaging recommended, but that HE LEFT THE PLASTIC WRAPPING ON IT.

We tried about half a dozen times to teach him how to cook pasta, and he still couldn't be the end of the year.

He put plastic-handled knives in the oven, left cream cheese in the fridge to the point of the mould turning pink, and eventually ordered Domino's pizza so much that they sent him a loyalty card in the post.

But then it wasn't just his cooking. He once got his foot run over by a car. He was equidistant from a hospital and the library I was working in. He walked to the library with a heavily-painful foot which he couldn't bend to toes of, to ask me what he should do.

He was a medicine student.

I only live with one other person now, both of us can cook, and life is good.

When I've had full-time work over the summer, all of us sharing (16 in halls over 2 floors) have been able to cook and it's saved us a fortune - plus it's great fun to try new things, all get together for a couple of beers and some dinner.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Well, looks like I'll be cooking for myself then!

At least I can budget accordingly to my needs and not rely on others to co-operate.

I'm gonna keep takeaways restricted to once a month (serious).
Reply 19
Wait, do people cook for everyone in the group?
I was hoping that I'd be cooking for myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending