oh and what should i wear to the interview?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
catriona
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
?
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wear a micro-skirt and the sluttiest top that you can find. Choose some thigh-high boots too!
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Wear a micro-skirt and the sluttiest top that you can find. Choose some thigh-high boots too!
Don't forget the fishnets! Preferably neon.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Insatiable)
Yea - your guaranteed to get whatever you are applying for if you wear those!!!
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Yea - your guaranteed to get whatever you are applying for if you wear those!!!
It makes sure the interviewer remembers you.
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And a big hat, you musn't forget a big hat. If it is pink then that is best, but lime green should be ok too.
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
And a big hat, you musn't forget a big hat. If it is pink then that is best, but lime green should be ok too.
Very true, that. I wore orange and got rejected from Oxford. It just doesn't have the same impact as pink and lime green.
catriona
Very true, that. I wore orange and got rejected from Oxford. It just doesn't have the same impact as pink and lime green.
um thanks. any real suggestions about interviews? what do they ask? do they test your math skills?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by catriona)
um thanks. any real suggestions about interviews? what do they ask? do they test your math skills?
Wear something formal....skirt and blouse...make sure you look smart and tidy....first impressions count.

What uni and which subject....they may test your maths skills...depends on those two things....they should also give more information about the interview in either the letter they send you....or in their prospectus.

G
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol wear a pair of smart black trousers and a nice shirt or jumper. With some conservative accessories.

As for interviews, I have had 3 and I've been asked some very strange questions.

If you met an alien how would you describe the course that you've chosen? (What? Like I speak alien?)

Why have you chosen this University in particular? (They are looking for a bit of a arse kissing here so I just said the location!)

Stuff about current affairs that would relate to your course. I was asked what was in the news at one and I froze despite it being the day after the spanish explosions, though i remembered and I got in!

Good Luck hun!
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Without knowing what subject you're applying for or where, it's a little hard to say. If you're applying for maths, then you can probably safely assume that they will, although if you're applying for a language then the chances will diminish somewhat.
catriona
oh yeah sorry, this post was a run on from my previous one. okay my interview is at UCL for math with economics. I'll die if the ask me calculus questions! i havent been in school for a year. do lots of ppl get interviews? like do i only have a small chance of getting in? cuz i dont have much in the way of back up... so if they reject me Im kinda screwed.
seana
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the gross sarcasm stinks in this thread!!

there is the view that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!! think about it...
catriona
i know, its annoying, u think ppl have replied smthg useful, but then they're just talking nonsense... its cruel, cuz im freaking out about this stupid interview!
johncleaner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know, its annoying, u think ppl have replied smthg useful, but then they're just talking nonsense... its cruel, cuz im freaking out about this stupid interview!
hi there - I had an interview to study Maths at Manchester. I wore smart black trousers and a shirt and I felt hideously over-dressed! Everyone else there were in normal jumpers and jeans and looked like they were just at college. Just wear what you feel comfortable in, but at the same time don't look scruffy.
koalapiyo
Report 16 years ago
hey there, don't get down.
for my cambridge Phd interview, i wore a tie and white shirt with a grey stripe pattern, black trousers and a pair of black moccasins.
however, i think academics tend to dress down. most people would say, dress semi-formal to be safe. some of the interviews i went to, the interviewers were dressed in suits, some others, they were dressed in jeans, and scruffy clothes. it depends. you never know.

dressing smarter shows you made an effort and you respect the interviewers. for both ancient and red-brick universities, i'd always dress up rather than down. it makes me feel more confident.
seana
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try and relax please! anxiety will do nothing for your interview.

i would say to dress semi casual/formal. try and avoid jeans even if others are wearing them. a nice jumper or shirt with a denim pants would be fine...but remeber to wear something you feel confident in.

secondly, now that the clothes are out of the way you need to be mentally prepared for the interview!! you seem to be overly nervous...
think of your positive attributes, your accomplishments, your goals and future prospects in maths and econ...you possess so much and have so much to offer...make them see all these things...that is your goal for the interview...they dont know anything about you...your task is to make them know ...that will not be hard to do as you will know within yourself that you are UCL material!!

thirdly, try and predict possible questions for interview. you should try asking friends and family members to help with this...then do a set of mock interviews that will help to build your confidence

when you go into the interview it is ok if you are nervous but the interviewer doesn't have to know that:
remember firm hand shake and eye contact at all times no fidgiting!!

let them want to have you as you got what it takes!!
all the best!!
blackrainbow
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't apply for maths, but for my UCL interview I wore black trousers, black boots and a smartish sweater (it was winter and was snowing). Nothing dressy, but I made sure my trousers were pressed, my boots were well polished and my hair was tidy so that I felt happy with the way I looked.

Everyone was very friendly and the interview was actually enjoyable as it definitely seemed to be intended to bring out the best in you and not to catch you out. Have you looked at the interview tips on the UCL site? If you just let your enthusiasm for your subject shine through I'm sure they'll understand if your maths is a little rusty at present as that must happen to everyone who takes a gap year.

Good luck!
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i bought a pair of wide leg pinstripe trousers from topshop for my interview at manchester and wore them with a plain white shirt and a black v-neck jumper. i did feel a bit overdressed when i arrived and saw that most people were in jeans and normal everyday clothes, but as i went for my interview i was joined by 2 girls who were both wearing suits. i think i got the happy medium. i felt comfortable yet smart (but not too smart) and i think this is the key. i know that if i went in my 6th form uniform (smart navy suit) i would have felt really overdressed and it would have made me nervous (it sounds silly but what you wear really does impact on your performance). likewise being in casual clothes i would have a) looked like i wasn't that bothered about the whole thing and b) felt too comfortable. i did get an offer in the end, so i guess it worked!
silverchaired1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to my boyfriends interview thingy for vet med and there were about 30 other people there (only 3 of them male, I think!) and I just could not BELIEVE how bad some of the girls looked. They had made no effort at all, dressed casually like this was any other day of their lives and there was one girl there with some sort of tight top with all her stomach hanging out like a load flabby mess. I realise some people want to look casual and some people don't see why they should have to 'dress up' for an interview because people should just take them the way they come.
Well. No. Not in the real world. If you look smart, you're going to get a lot further than if you dress like any old teenager. Simple as. Would you go along to an important job interview dressed in jeans and some random thing you picked up at TopShop? I know I wouldn't.
First impressions count for everything.
Oh yeah, my boyfriend wore a VERY smart suit and got in.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads