The Student Room Group

A Levels and/or IB for the U.S.?

----
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
In addition to that, I also have 10 Coursera and edX certificates - if that helps anything. I also speak a few languages fluently.

EDIT: Is anyone going to answer? :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
hey, it depends on how your grades were in the A levels and if you really have nothing to do in the course of the coming 2 years.. i mean most people may think of it as a waste of time.. but if you're going to have to be down there for 2 years and have nothing to do or something like that, think about it..
Reply 3
Original post by Mishio
hey, it depends on how your grades were in the A levels and if you really have nothing to do in the course of the coming 2 years.. i mean most people may think of it as a waste of time.. but if you're going to have to be down there for 2 years and have nothing to do or something like that, think about it..

What if I get 3A*s? That is my predicted grade. I'd have nothing to do for one year, besides learning German and getting more experience in management. Right now, my only worry would be the extracurricular activities. I really want to attend Georgetown's SFS, I'm just wondering whether it would be worth the extra year. Otherwise, I'll probably end up in Canada, Germany or the UK.
Original post by calmer410
I promise you, this is not a trick question. I'm 18 this year, and I have been studying A Levels privately throughout the year. I am almost done, too. However, universities in the U.S. are concerned regarding ECAs and mine are not too stellar. When I was in school, I was the captain of the football team (Female football team.) and I joined societies like MUN, St. John's and the Performing Arts Club, but I did not really initiate having positions of any sort. I decided to quit school when I was 16, and I took a year off before studying for my A Levels. I also managed a store filled with medical equipment (Yes, I was a manager at the age of 17...) for 6 months and worked at a smoothie bar for a few months. I am finishing my A Levels soon, but I'd have to stay back in my country until I'm nearly 20 - seeing as I have to learn German for a year and I'd be too late to apply for next year's intake anyhow.

So, should I do the IBDP at the age of 18+ (After doing A Levels) and graduate at the age of 20+? I'd receive a year's worth of extra credit if I do this. Also increases my chances of getting into places like MIT, UCLA, Georgetown and Princeton (As well as getting a full scholarship from local agencies.). Is it worth the extra year? I do have stellar recommendation letters, though - regardless of whether I do the IB or not. It's just my ECAs, and the lack of community service (CAS would help this, and community service is a passion of mine..). If my major matters, I'd like to do Linguistics + Anthropology, Neuroscience, International Relations or Political Science.

Ok look, A levels in the US are pretty much useless in terms of the admission process. The thing that matters the most is your SAT scores, without a good one you're not going very far. And as for taking IB don't bother. Since you have done A level you should try AP courses, it's a credit system that you take before college and earn college credit once you get in. It's pretty easy because its a 1 year course compare to A levels(2-3).

Buy some test prep book and get yourself working. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just an fyi most top (or even good) US unis will not accept APs for actual credit. They're used to evaluate your application and can help with admittance quite a lot but they won't let you out of any years of schools for them. If you have good A level results I wouldn't bother taking APs.

Also ECs don't have to be the standard ones everyone participates in. US unis get thousands of MUN captains each year but I would guess they get <10 applicants who've ever held down a full time job. I would apply and take your essays to explain why you left school, what you've done since then (if working was to help out your family financially or save for school that can actually be a major plus on your application). Your EC situation is not dismal, and if you've got some extenuating circumstances. If you're fluent in multiple languages, that's also a serious plus. I think you've got a better shot than you think. Don't stress about the ECs too much, just try and spin what you have done to make yourself sound more attractive to US colleges.
Reply 6
1. Take SATs, aim 2200+ for the top colleges.
2. Take SATII, try and get full makrs if you can. They aren't too difficult (at least for bio, chem, maths II. I assume US History might be a tad hard for non-Americans...)
3. A-Levels:write them in your Common application
4. EC is decent. Colleges will ask you to write an extra PS in addition to the personal statement for the Common App (American UCAS)
5. IB will make no difference
6. A-Levels can be swapped for credits if done to A2 and minimum above B (though via friends and whatnot, realistically A and above to get credits

In general,

You only declare your major usually after your first year of college (college=university). EC is quite important, but here's the kicker: if you just take a look at MIT's admissions statistics; 4,513 international applicants, 148 admitted. That's about 4% if you get rid of some dubious applicants. Most applicants will have both good grades and ECs, so you've gotta work hard. Unlike UCAS, Common App has separate fields for accomplishments, awards etc. So, make sure you can fill some of those in. What you've done seems pretty impressive, but a couple of official awards here and there wouldn't hurt. If you don't have any, perhaps you could do some work experience/volunteer work to add to it. Show them something that you have, that is very unique.

Also, if you're aiming for 2014 entry, timing's gonna be tight. You've got about 4 SAT test sessions before admissions close. This means you're going to have to work hard. Obviously, if you're applying for 2015, plenty of time. Time which I highly recommed spending on SAT practice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
--
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending