The Student Room Group

What relationship advice would you give your past self?

If you could go back in time and give yourself past self some relationship/dating advice, when would you go to and what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Five years ago and then again a year or two ago and the advice would be;

Once the trust is gone, so is the relationship.
Try as you like to fix it, but it's always going to be broken.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

:daydreaming:
Reply 2
I would go back 3 years to when I was 15.
I would say don't expect anything because you will only be disappointed time after time. Never get your hopes up. Only that way can you save yourself from being so hurt that you are permanently scarred and damaged. Don't expect anything at all and that way you will have a chance of being happy later on.
Reply 3
Original post by Milostar
If you could go back in time and give yourself past self some relationship/dating advice, when would you go to and what would it be?

The attraction is gone and she is manipulating you. Break up with her!
One year later.. Oh the relief..
Reply 4
Don't date girls who have had abusive exes/fathers

Don't date people who are suicidal...
Reply 5
He does not deserve a second chance, he broke your trust and he will again but drag it put slowly for 8 months.

That was uplifting! :smile: But other than bad relationships I would also say have faith in yourself as well
(edited 10 years ago)
I would go back to 14 when I met my fiancé and say "hey! Stop getting your knickers in a twist and enjoy the ride because he's still with you 8 years later!"
Don't date boys who were moved into your science class for throwing acid in someones eye, bad boys are not really that nice.
Reply 8
I could write a 10,000 word essay to my younger self aka 17 :awesome: but to keep it short..

Everyone makes mistakes

Sometimes you just have to admit it isn't working

Trust is crucial

Don't get so caught up in how it feels during the first few months, it often soon fades

Everyone needs their own space

I'd go back to about May/June last year and tell myself: "Don't fall in love with him. Firstly, he told you not to. Secondly, it's not worth the spiral of depression he'll put you into. Also he'll just continuously lie about how he feels about you, stringing you along for 4 months and then start dating your best friend behind your back."

Would have saved myself a lot of heartbreak.
Reply 10
"Stop putting yourself down in front of people, and have some confidence, girl!"

not believing anyone would want me lead to me making some terrible decisions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Stop being so distant and reluctant of attachment.

I'd still be the same now though.:dry:
7 years ago.

Ask.
I'd go back some five years ago, and just say "She's not interested. Ever. Nothing you can do to change that. Leave her alone for both of your sakes."

I'd probably also give the usual speech about confidence and happiness and crap like that, God knows I could do with it.
Reply 14
Dont foce it, if its not on.
Reply 15
Man up you *****.
Reply 16
'don't​'.
Don't mope over someone who doesn't care about you. You're better than that and you deserve better.
(edited 10 years ago)
You're 16 - you don't need to put up with this because you think nobody will fall in love with you again.
Original post by Malevolent
Don't mop over someone who doesn't care about you. You're better than that and you deserve better.

You mean mope? :p:

I'd go back 4 years, to when I was 18, and say: stop fretting about your virginity, no one is laughing at you for still being a virgin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending