The Student Room Group

Can the same PS pass for two different Single Honours?

I want to apply for Sociology in Scotland, 4 different universities. I'm still not sure about my fifth choice, but here's the main problem: I'm considering St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Out of these four, St Andrews is the only one that doesn't offer Sociology. It has Social Anthropology instead. It interests me as much as Sociology, if not more, I'd be super happy to study either. But how should I write a PS that would pass for both Sociology and Social Anthropology as Single Honours? From what I know, the name of subject must be mentioned. How would several paragraphs about Sociology from the student who is applying for Social Anthropology look for St Andrews admissions staff? Can I get away with that, or should I just use general term "social sciences" on my PS, is that permitted? Does anyone else have this problem?
Reply 1
I applied for 2 courses -4 of one and 1 of the other and still got my offer for my other course despite my PS being tailored to the other 4. My friend however got rejected from her diff course, but thats because it was quite competitive
Reply 2
If you make it vague enough then yes.
The usual advice to this question is no, but when the courses are this closely linked, it should be possibly to finesse it successfully. As sociology isn't my subject, I haven't the least idea in what way sociology and social anthropology might differ, but you are obviously knowledgeable about this. I am sure there must be sufficient crossover for you to use the common ground. I think you can probably get by with social sciences. The admissions tutors know what you're applying for, or the application wouldn't have landed on their desk in the first place.
Can't you just phrase it so it's for both? Unis will understand that not all places offer the exact same course, and they sound like pretty closely linked courses. It's not like you're applying to zoology and philosophy or something. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sunjammer
I want to apply for Sociology in Scotland, 4 different universities. I'm still not sure about my fifth choice, but here's the main problem: I'm considering St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Out of these four, St Andrews is the only one that doesn't offer Sociology. It has Social Anthropology instead. It interests me as much as Sociology, if not more, I'd be super happy to study either. But how should I write a PS that would pass for both Sociology and Social Anthropology as Single Honours? From what I know, the name of subject must be mentioned. How would several paragraphs about Sociology from the student who is applying for Social Anthropology look for St Andrews admissions staff? Can I get away with that, or should I just use general term "social sciences" on my PS, is that permitted? Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, im a teacher. I think putting social sciences will be fine. Make sure you refer to the things that all social sciences have in common in your statement.
I wanted to apply for English and Geography, but I spoke to an admissions tutor/personal statement helper, and he advised me to choose one and go for that, because they were TOO different.
He said it would be easier to change when I got to uni, rather than try and tailor it to two totally different courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending