The Student Room Group

G.C.S.E mature students

Hello

I am planning on taking gcse maths as i didnt get it when i was younger. I am planning on taking it with an online company and they say i will have to find my own college to take the exams. I was just wondering if any of you have done this as a mature student?
Reply 1
HI, I also had to do mine recently. I looked into the online option, but in the end decided on a college - and Im so glad I did. My tutor was an amazing help and I don't know how I would have got through it without having an actual person to explain things to me.
Reply 2
Original post by mamamia
HI, I also had to do mine recently. I looked into the online option, but in the end decided on a college - and Im so glad I did. My tutor was an amazing help and I don't know how I would have got through it without having an actual person to explain things to me.

Yes i have thought about that option myself but i think if i do it online i will be able to study as and when i want which would be best for me i think.
when you did the exams, was it with the mature students in the college
Reply 3
Yes we were all mature students and it was one evening a week at college.
You can enter yourself as a private candidate at any exam centre that accepts external candidates. The exam board you are looking for usually have a list of these but some of the local colleges might be cheaper. I took two exams (a level) at the college of north west London and was charged £60 in comparison to another asking for £100 per paper- so it does really depend. Also when I did my papers it was with a group of other students doing other subjects as well so it may not be specific to only your subject.
As mentioned you can enter yourself as a private candidate. Try the likes of AQA or Edexcell websites, they have all the relevant information. All GCSEs are changing to a linear format, and maths was one of the first to do so. If you decide to do it via a private entry, it just basically means you will do two papers. A calculator and non-calculator, as mentioned its pretty cheap to do, although have a search around local colleges.

if your confident enough to go down the private candidate route, I would recommend using textbooks, you can normally get a textbook specific to the awarding body and format e.g AQA Linear (foundation/higher). Although if you feel like you need the extra help opt for the course!

Good luck!
Reply 6
Hi

Yes i feel pretty confident about it. I have looked at past papers and i feel i already know 80% of it so i think i just need to fill in the gaps.
I would recommend finding an exam centre which would let you sit as a private candidate then. Try using this link, http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates/finding-a-school-or-college

I think it's only around £30.00 to be entered, although the school or college might add admin fees it's should still be cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending