The Student Room Group

Why did they increase fees to £9000?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RowingGoose

Employment rated after 6 months may be high but that doesn't mean they are in graduate jobs.

The statistics are specifically "graduate", or sometimes "professional", jobs.

From what I remember, when filling in the survey you are specifically asked if a degree is required to get the job (and perhaps if the degree was partly responsible for getting the job...or something along those lines).

There is a saturation of humanities graduates, in my opinion, but I still don't think it's tremendously difficult to get at least some graduate level job in many cases, providing you have sufficient motivation and direction -even if it does mean spending some time volunteering and/or interning.
Reply 21
Original post by physicsnut
A little bit if exaggeration there, if you got 4A* then you are bound to get into a top university, and unless you are doing a ridiculous subject like classics etc. With unbelievably low job prospects, I'm pretty sure you could find a graduate level job with a first. After all Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc. All have employment rated of 70%+ after 6months in a graduate level job. This unemployment crisiz is greatly exaggerated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think that a classics degree from Oxford is a ridiculous thing I can only say that you are as ignorant as a child for you have no idea how valuable it can be.
Reply 22
Original post by CEKTOP
If you think that a classics degree from Oxford is a ridiculous thing I can only say that you are as ignorant as a child for you have no idea how valuable it can be.

Classics as a subject is not ridiculous but job prospects after the degree are ridiculously low compared to other subjects. I think you missed the context in which I was referring to it as ridiculous. Sorry to have offended you.
Reply 23
Original post by River85
The statistics are specifically "graduate", or sometimes "professional", jobs.

From what I remember, when filling in the survey you are specifically asked if a degree is required to get the job (and perhaps if the degree was partly responsible for getting the job...or something along those lines).

There is a saturation of humanities graduates, in my opinion, but I still don't think it's tremendously difficult to get at least some graduate level job in many cases, providing you have sufficient motivation and direction -even if it does mean spending some time volunteering and/or interning.

Exactly what I was trying to put over, those statistics are for graduate level jobs. Not for being a waitress
because they realised they'd get away with it.
Reply 25
I'm a graduate and still haven't found a graduate job after 9 months of searching. I could have left school at 16 with a few GCSEs, got an admin apprentice and have 5 years worth of admin experience more than I have now. I've applied for many admin jobs (in order to get experience to get into HR) but it's the lack of 'specific office experience' that lets me down. I can't get an apprenticeship because I'm now overqualified and because I can't afford to live on £2.65ph.

Employment rated after 6 months may be high but that doesn't mean they are in graduate jobs. A lot of my graduate friends are doing low skilled jobs, including myself being a waitress. I was talking to someone on TSR last week and he was the example I gave, but he still doesn't have a graduate job.

If the guy still doesn't have a graduate level job, either the degree he did was in a less respected subject, or something is wrong with his CV, or he interviews badly. Or a terrible streak of bad luck. As for you I do hope you get an appropriate job soon, sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Classics as a subject is not ridiculous but job prospects after the degree are ridiculously low compared to other subjects. I think you missed the context in which I was referring to it as ridiculous. Sorry to have offended you.

I think what that person was trying to get at was that (pretty much) any degree from Oxbridge will get you a high-paying grad job, be it directly relevant to the degree or not. For example, many Oxbridge grads who study History and Classics and other degrees join banks, or become solicitors, etc.
Reply 27
I never said that they do not, but statistically they are now likely to be unemployed than pretty much any other Oxbridge graduate.

Original post by thegodofgod
I think what that person was trying to get at was that (pretty much) any degree from Oxbridge will get you a high-paying grad job, be it directly relevant to the degree or not. For example, many Oxbridge grads who study History and Classics and other degrees join banks, or become solicitors, etc.
Reply 28

What is the source of your statistics? Do you have any hard data regarding your claims at all?
Reply 29
The price never went up, its just the government used to pay the rest, now we pay the lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never said that they do not, but statistically they are now likely to be unemployed than pretty much any other Oxbridge graduate.

In the case of Oxford at least, that simply isn't true. For example for graduates in the years 2009 to 2011 46.5% of people reading Greats were just working and 5.7% were working and studying with 7.3% describing themselves as unemployed. This data is 6 months after graduation.

To pick another subject, perhaps not quite at random but not a subject that is an outlier or quirk; the "just working" rate for 3 year physicists was 41% with 14.3% working and studying. Unemployment was 15.2%. Both employment and unemployment rates for 4 year physicists were much lower.

The data is here

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/DLHE/OccupationsbyCourse?:embed=yes&:toolbar=yes&:tabs=yes
I've seen internal NUS research, but don't think they've published it, which looks at cost-benefits to the individual of various levels of study and subjects/disciplines.

With the exception of males studying creative arts, graduates of any subject financially-benefit from their degree programme, including taking average tuition and maintenance loans/living costs off.

Classics is no exception.

Naturally, scientists and engineers benefit most as individuals, as well as anything professionally-accredited by a PSRB e.g. medicine, law, vet, etc.

They raised fees to replace government funding. On the face of it, you'd think this would help the deficit, but the cost of lending fees and maintenance, combined with the National Scholarship Programme (NSP) outweighs this, and the deficit increases by billions. This is exasperated by the coalition underestimating the mean tuition fee level universities would set - they estimated it would be £7,500; it's closer to £8,500 currently and is steadily increasing.
If you don't understand that in most cases you will be better off as a result of the recent changes to Student Finance, you shouldn't be going to university.

If you are aggrieved about tuition fees changing from the last set of arrangements, you know little about it, and are lapping up the alarmist claims of 'triple the cost' with absolutely no understanding of what it actually means.

Most students will actually end up better off, repaying 9% of whatever you earn over £21,000 rather than the rest repaying at 9% of anything over (approx) £15,000.

Those who end up paying more than they would under the past scheme will be relatively high earners effectively subject to a graduate tax, which loads of students were screaming for in the first place when the question of how to pay for higher education funding arose.

Those who achieve little from their education bar an average salary will end up paying less. Those who are more successful on (very much) above average salaries will pay more.

Indeed, aren't those screaming the loudest the left wingers amongst you saying that the rich should pay for your education? Well, those paying more than they would have under the old arrangements will be the 'rich'.

Although in line with most left wing arguments, the taxes that are always the most popular are those that other people (the rich) have to pay, so on the whole it's unsurprising to find that they aren't in so much favour when it turns out that they have to pay it themselves, because comparatively speaking, they will be 'the rich'.

Do the maths. Work out how much more/less you will be paying on a given salary using the figures given for the old repayments compared to those for the old repayments.

On £30,000, which is a very much above average salary, you can expect to repay £800 annually now compared with £1,283
(edited 10 years ago)
The universities get the same amount I think, but the money comes from the student now rather than when it was subsidised by the Government. I'm not sure the Government is gonna be any better off though, because they still have to loan out a lot of money and lot of that will be written off when graduates don't earn enough.

I think as well, a degree isn't as valuable as it used to because too many people have one. In the 70s if you had a degree, you would have had FAR better job prospects, possibly just hired because you had a degree alone. Nowadays, you could have a 1st degree, 4A* A-levels, 2 years industry experience, been club president at uni, and still not get a job or even an interview. The only way to reduce the number of people getting a degree is unfortunately increasing the fees, and putting people off.

fair point but its not our fault were so freaking awesome
Original post by marcusfox
If you don't understand that in most cases you will be better off as a result of the recent changes to Student Finance, you shouldn't be going to university.

If you are aggrieved about tuition fees changing from the last set of arrangements, you know little about it, and are lapping up the alarmist claims of 'triple the cost' with absolutely no understanding of what it actually means.

Most students will actually end up better off, repaying 9% of whatever you earn over £21,000 rather than the rest repaying at 9% of anything over (approx) £15,000.

Those who end up paying more than they would under the past scheme will be relatively high earners effectively subject to a graduate tax, which loads of students were screaming for in the first place when the question of how to pay for higher education funding arose.

Those who achieve little from their education bar an average salary will end up paying less. Those who are more successful on (very much) above average salaries will pay more.

Indeed, aren't those screaming the loudest the left wingers amongst you saying that the rich should pay for your education? Well, those paying more than they would have under the old arrangements will be the 'rich'.

Although in line with most left wing arguments, the taxes that are always the most popular are those that other people (the rich) have to pay, so on the whole it's unsurprising to find that they aren't in so much favour when it turns out that they have to pay it themselves, because comparatively speaking, they will be 'the rich'.

Do the maths. Work out how much more/less you will be paying on a given salary using the figures given for the old repayments compared to those for the old repayments.

On £30,000, which is a very much above average salary, you can expect to repay £800 annually now compared with £1,283

fair point
Original post by DarkWhite
I've seen internal NUS research, but don't think they've published it, which looks at cost-benefits to the individual of various levels of study and subjects/disciplines.

With the exception of males studying creative arts, graduates of any subject financially-benefit from their degree programme, including taking average tuition and maintenance loans/living costs off.

Classics is no exception.

Naturally, scientists and engineers benefit most as individuals, as well as anything professionally-accredited by a PSRB e.g. medicine, law, vet, etc.

They raised fees to replace government funding. On the face of it, you'd think this would help the deficit, but the cost of lending fees and maintenance, combined with the National Scholarship Programme (NSP) outweighs this, and the deficit increases by billions. This is exasperated by the coalition underestimating the mean tuition fee level universities would set - they estimated it would be £7,500; it's closer to £8,500 currently and is steadily increasing.

This is actually very controversial.

The government publishes statistics on the so called "graduate premium" but the problem is that the data is by its nature historic. You can establish what recent graduates earn now and what old graduates have earned over a lifetime but deriving a conclusion as to what recent graduates will earn in a lifetime is fraught with difficulty. The government data is biased in favour of the experiences of graduates long ago so that even substantial changes in the prospects of recent graduates barely move the figures.

An academic called Malcolm Brynin is very critical of claims about the benefits of degrees.

This is a press report

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329689/University-education-financial-gamble-study-shows-advantage-degree-dropped-drastically-20-years.html

This is the underlying research (paywall)

http://soc.sagepub.com/content/47/2/284
Original post by MALL COP

Come on man..

It was a pledge made with the best of intentions..
The best of intentions..
9 bags a year to be talked through power point presentations for 90% of your time. Learning very little other than what you're told to teach yourself which in no way prepares you for a career.

I studied Civil Engineering. I've changed course now though I guess it depends on what you planning on doing in the path you're taking but still, for a big part of courses it's a lot of money for some power point slides.
Original post by marcusfox

Your analysis rests on two assumptions that may not prove true:-

1 That the government doesn't move the goalposts in respect of past lending and on this issue see

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jun/13/raise-interest-rate-student-loans-secret-report

2 That others, e.g. mortgage lenders do not change their behaviour towards (disregarding) student debt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
Come on man..

It was a pledge made with the best of intentions..
The best of intentions..

Getting one of these was a very good intention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending