The Student Room Group

Do people like tattoos?

Poll

Do you like tattoos?

So, I'm going to Thailand next month, and I'm rather taken by the traditional style of tattoo over there. I probably won't get one this time (not enough time to properly research and choose etc), but maybe for a future visit.

But anyway, I'm curious, what are people's opinions on tattoos?

Scroll to see replies

Those are rather beautiful :smile: I do like tattoos. Obviously depending on what and where the tattoo is. But I have a thing for guys with sleeves.
I would never get a tattoo myself and some of them are stupid. For example, tattooing your girlfriend's name or some stupid message like "yolo" or "no regrets". However, to each their own and the ones in the OP are quite cool.
Reply 3
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Those are rather beautiful :smile: I do like tattoos. Obviously depending on what and where the tattoo is. But I have a thing for guys with sleeves.

Yeah I like sleeves too, the only problem I have with tattoos is choosing something that I would want on me for the rest of my life - my attention span is far too short!
if you want one - then get it, its your body and your choice
Original post by darbyj
Yeah I like sleeves too, the only problem I have with tattoos is choosing something that I would want on me for the rest of my life - my attention span is far too short!

Yeah I get that, it's a pretty major thing to get a sleeve. A guy I know started off with a small simple 1/4 sleeve and because he liked it he worked his way gradually up to full sleeve with more detail. And it looks awesome. I wouldn't personally get one though, I'm planning to have a few small ones.
Reply 6
I think a tattoo needs to have a significant meaning. Such as date or symbol that reminds you of someone or something. Getting a tattoo just because you can seems like a pretty stupid idea. Also location is very important because if want a white collar job don't have anything which could be readily visible.

I want a tattoo but it is a big decision. But not a picture they tend to fade worse than script.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
I think a tattoo needs to have a significant meaning. Such as date or symbol that reminds you of someone or something. Getting a tattoo just because you can seems like a pretty stupid idea. Also location is very important because if want a white collar job don't have anything which could be readily visible.

I want a tattoo but it is a big decision. But not a picture they tend to fade worse than script.

yeah I agree, having a tattoo can definitely cause people to pre-judge you, so best not too obvious. I would definitely only get one after some deliberation, an 'acquaintance' of mine recently got a tattoo just with 'TCC', which apparently means The Coloured Club - according to him anyway. Needless to say, he spent most of the next day trying to get it removed.
Reply 8
Original post by darbyj
yeah I agree, having a tattoo can definitely cause people to pre-judge you, so best not too obvious. I would definitely only get one after some deliberation, an 'acquaintance' of mine recently got a tattoo just with 'TCC', which apparently means The Coloured Club - according to him anyway. Needless to say, he spent most of the next day trying to get it removed.

My plan is to get date on my shoulder blade. Nothing fancy and out of site for the most part. But still has deep meaning.
Reply 9
My plan is to get date on my shoulder blade. Nothing fancy and out of site for the most part. But still has deep meaning.

If I got one it would definitely be the shoulder blade area, fairly discreet, and (I think) less likely to distort with age
Original post by darbyj
If I got one it would definitely be the shoulder blade area, fairly discreet, and (I think) less likely to distort with age

What do you wanted tattooed then? a date? or a picture?
Reply 11
What do you wanted tattooed then? a date? or a picture?

I have no idea, I'm not planning on getting one (yet), although I do like the Thai style. I'm more interested to see what other people think about tattoos, personally I have nothing against well-thought-out designs, but I'm curious as to whether other people feel the same way.

Doesn't affect me, or my eventual decision to get a tattoo or not, but interesting nonetheless.

If I do get a tattoo it would probably be when I'm in my mid 20s, so I've had enough time to mature, so I'll know if it's right for me or not
Reply 12
Tattoos are barbaric, I look down on everyone who has one.
Original post by HalGuru
Tattoos are barbaric, I look down on everyone who has one.

There is no doubt they are barbaric but there can often be reason people will put themselves through the pain to have one done. For what reason do you look down on others for having one?
Reply 14
There is no doubt they are barbaric but there can often be reason people will put themselves through the pain to have one done. For what reason do you look down on others for having one?

They are clearly unintelligent.
Original post by HalGuru
They are clearly unintelligent.

Why is it a sign of lack of intelligence? I want a tattoo so that I can have a small reminder of someone with me where ever I am.
Reply 16
Why is it a sign of lack of intelligence? I want a tattoo so that I can have a small reminder of someone with me where ever I am.

Just think about them, it's not hard. Only dim witted poor people get tattoos.
Reply 17
Original post by HalGuru

JFK Jr. had a tattoo (two actually). Respond.
Reply 18
Original post by HalGuru

Along with Winston Churchill, FDR, George Orwell and Thomas Edison.
Reply 19
Original post by darbyj
JFK Jr. had a tattoo (two actually). Respond.

That was a long time ago. Nowadays it's shabby and unfashionable. Get with the times.

Quick Reply

Latest