Is it me or do you think football is getting less popular in the UK?

Watch
Iupao
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is it me or do you think football is getting less popular in the UK? I remember asking people who they support 95% of people would say who they support. These days just over half of people I ask say they don't support a football team which is saying they don't like or watch football. It's usually with the new generations of people. I just feel these days football has not got as much passions as it once did.
BradWills20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say its not, I got angered by how "pussy footed" the players have become and prefer to watch and play rugby now instead, it's got to the point now where I don't even like playing FIFA.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was talking to someone the other day who said he'd read that post-Olympics, almost all sports have become more popular, except football which was in decline (although is still the most popular).
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just think it's those Liverpool fans realising that their club isn't going to win the Premiership any time soon, so they pretend to not like football. If Liverpool ever win the Premiership, I'm sure football will become more popular.
Astarplease01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its because the new season hasnt started you bum.

man utd ftw
xxxKINGxxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I reckon people have realised England are actually pretty crap internationally, so they have less of a flag-waving reason to have an interest in it.

Young kids are usually brought up to like football. They replace the older people who grow out of it.
xxxKINGxxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manchester United)
I just think it's those Liverpool fans realising that their club isn't going to win the Premiership any time soon, so they pretend to not like football. If Liverpool ever win the Premiership, I'm sure football will become more popular.
Well we are and still are one of the most popular clubs in the world.
coatsoft
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
although to be honest half the people in bradford support man u. guess who those guys are
tinman1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Football is still massive, always will be in this country.
Emmie3303
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think football has declined in popularity in a grassroots sense. I live next to a football field and there are definitely less kids coming just to play on the field for fun. I remember playing against teams of other kids with my friends and cousins and people just starting impromptu games that lasted all afternoon when I was a child. The last time I saw kids on the field with a football they were using it to sit on. There are far fewer kids playing in the organised teams that play on our field too. Obviously this is a very specific situation, but I do think that the younger generation aren't as bothered about football and playing out as they used to be. It might just be me moving into that stage of 'it's not like it was in my day', but I'm not so sure that would explain why the field has been practically empty of groups of kids during this first week of the summer holiday.
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
Well we are and still are one of the most popular clubs in the world.
For sure, I don't dispute that. Although, with the rise of Spurs and City, in 10-15 years it could be different story.
xxxKINGxxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's too far in the distant future to predict, so I wouldn't bet anything on that.
AmyLH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emmie3303)
I think football has declined in popularity in a grassroots sense. I live next to a football field and there are definitely less kids coming just to play on the field for fun. I remember playing against teams of other kids with my friends and cousins and people just starting impromptu games that lasted all afternoon when I was a child. The last time I saw kids on the field with a football they were using it to sit on. There are far fewer kids playing in the organised teams that play on our field too. Obviously this is a very specific situation, but I do think that the younger generation aren't as bothered about football and playing out as they used to be. It might just be me moving into that stage of 'it's not like it was in my day', but I'm not so sure that would explain why the field has been practically empty of groups of kids during this first week of the summer holiday.
This. My parents have been involved with our local football club for years now and every year another one or two teams have to fold due to lack of players. Years ago there used to be a waiting list for the yearly tournament but this year they decided they will be unable to carry on doing it due to lack of interest.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Less people play in the park for sure, they prefer to play FIFA. I'd say interest in watching football is still strong though.
Ry_p94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I think of my dad and grandad they were of that generation where the man went to work, came home with dinner on the table and then went to the pub for a few beers and to watch the football. Previous generations did have an almost unhealthy infatuation with football, but that culture is dying out in younger people who realise there's more to the world. I don't think football is becoming less popular, but the 'passion' people have for it is in a sense declining.
Emmie3303
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AmyLH)
This. My parents have been involved with our local football club for years now and every year another one or two teams have to fold due to lack of players. Years ago there used to be a waiting list for the yearly tournament but this year they decided they will be unable to carry on doing it due to lack of interest.
This sounds very familiar to me; it's quite sad really. There used to be enough kids in each age group for a 1st team and then two reserve teams about ten years ago and there were teams on every community field here. It's just not like that anymore. We're a very sporty area, too. We tend to punch above our weight in rugby and sports like table tennis; love of these sports has been passed down for years.
sammiloczy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to a game there on Saturday!
CAP31
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iupao)
Is it me or do you think football is getting less popular in the UK? I remember asking people who they support 95% of people would say who they support. These days just over half of people I ask say they don't support a football team which is saying they don't like or watch football. It's usually with the new generations of people. I just feel these days football has not got as much passions as it once did.
Wait for 19 more days then you'll see !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kids are lazy nowadays so rather play football on FIFA than going to the parks to play it. It's the bad effect of technology.
m-a-t-t
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It seems to be more acceptable now to not like football. I've never really been a fan but used to think at school I had to like it. Now I have no interest at all and haven't watched football for years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
16.51%
I'm not sure (8)
3.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (75)
35.38%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.42%
I'm not a current university student (91)
42.92%

Watched Threads