The Student Room Group

Student finance nightmare!

So on a positive note, I got my acceptance from my first Choice University yesterday :-)

I originally applied back in Jan but abandoned by application as my circumstances changes, hence now applying through clearing. I did start my student finance application and got as far as sending ID.

My name on my NI is different to my ID because in school as I was known with my mothers maiden name but I have NEVER officially been called this. So I sent all ID in my real name and an explanation of what happened and they decided to use my mothers maiden name.

I have sent letter after letter with supporting documents telling them this is NOT my name! After a 30 minute phone call from my mobile to their 0845 number today, they have told me to send it all again.

I am getting really frustrated because I desperately want to apply for the NSP funding and I cannot start anything with them fixing this first.

Does anyone know how late you can apply for NSP funding? I am really worried I will loose out because they are not updating my information.

Thanks
Original post by crystal1330
So on a positive note, I got my acceptance from my first Choice University yesterday :-)

I originally applied back in Jan but abandoned by application as my circumstances changes, hence now applying through clearing. I did start my student finance application and got as far as sending ID.

My name on my NI is different to my ID because in school as I was known with my mothers maiden name but I have NEVER officially been called this. So I sent all ID in my real name and an explanation of what happened and they decided to use my mothers maiden name.

I have sent letter after letter with supporting documents telling them this is NOT my name! After a 30 minute phone call from my mobile to their 0845 number today, they have told me to send it all again.

I am getting really frustrated because I desperately want to apply for the NSP funding and I cannot start anything with them fixing this first.

Does anyone know how late you can apply for NSP funding? I am really worried I will loose out because they are not updating my information.

Thanks

Which University are you going to?

For most universities, you don't apply for the NSP funding, they check eligibility automatically at the end of summer. Birkbeck do it this way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
Which University are you going to?

For most universities, you don't apply for the NSP funding, they check eligibility automatically at the end of summer. Birkbeck do it this way.

Hi,

Yes going to Birkbeck! :-)

The problem is that I have to do a paper student finance form, then I have to wait up to 20 Days before my old student finance is cancelled before they can process the new one.

Even bigger problem is that my NI is going to possibly stop me getting student finance all together, that is until I can get a meeting with HMRC to change it. If this happens, then I could be well in to my first year before its all done and im assuming Birkbeck does not give NSP to everyone who is eligible?
Hi,

Yes going to Birkbeck! :-)

The problem is that I have to do a paper student finance form, then I have to wait up to 20 Days before my old student finance is cancelled before they can process the new one.

Even bigger problem is that my NI is going to possibly stop me getting student finance all together, that is until I can get a meeting with HMRC to change it. If this happens, then I could be well in to my first year before its all done and im assuming Birkbeck does not give NSP to everyone who is eligible?

Student Finance should only take 10 days to cancel an application. They should get the ball rolling if you call them to cancel it. It will take about 6 weeks for them to complete your finance. If you send the paper form in ASAP by Special delivery you'll have a better chance of getting your funding on time.

Birkbeck guarantee it to those who are getting Disabled Students Allowance, then they decide from the rest who is eligible. So no, not everyone get's it, and some people will only get one or the other.

When you enrol online for Birkbeck they ask you for your income details, and you have to provide proof within 28 days for the Undergrad Bursary (£1000). Then, once you start, they check those that are eligible for the NSP (£3000 fee waiver), and choose those that are eligible.

If you're being covered by Student Finance then the Bursary will benefit you more than the NSP. So, enrol online as soon as Birkbeck send you your login details for MyBirkbeck.

Also - SEE YOU IN OCTOBER! :biggrin:

Add me on Facebook if you want? We'll be in the same class for lectures, I'l PM you my email address :smile:
Reply 4
Student Finance should only take 10 days to cancel an application. They should get the ball rolling if you call them to cancel it. It will take about 6 weeks for them to complete your finance. If you send the paper form in ASAP by Special delivery you'll have a better chance of getting your funding on time.

Birkbeck guarantee it to those who are getting Disabled Students Allowance, then they decide from the rest who is eligible. So no, not everyone get's it, and some people will only get one or the other.

When you enrol online for Birkbeck they ask you for your income details, and you have to provide proof within 28 days for the Undergrad Bursary (£1000). Then, once you start, they check those that are eligible for the NSP (£3000 fee waiver), and choose those that are eligible.

If you're being covered by Student Finance then the Bursary will benefit you more than the NSP. So, enrol online as soon as Birkbeck send you your login details for MyBirkbeck.

Also - SEE YOU IN OCTOBER! :biggrin:

Add me on Facebook if you want? We'll be in the same class for lectures, I'l PM you my email address :smile:

Thank you very much! Ill await your PM and add you later today. I'm so excited to start!

I called student finance yesterday and canclled but they told me 20 Days. Though to be goest I don't believe much of what they say. One guy told me I am an independent student and the other a dependant. To be honest it doesn't really matter as my Mums income last tax year was 19000, so it won't affect my student finance bursary and it sounds as though Birkbeck will take in to consideration that I get NO support from parents and am living alone whilst studying, as I have done for 4 years.

It's so frustrating as I cannot accept my place yet, UCAC track stopped allowing you to add clearing choices between 29th July and 5th of August. But as soo as its all confirmed, I will be accepting and then enrolling shortly after.

I went to Court with my Barrister friend the other Day and met some people who had been to Birkbeck many years ago and said it was amazing, that the support is fantastic and people are great :-)
Thank you very much! Ill await your PM and add you later today. I'm so excited to start!

I called student finance yesterday and canclled but they told me 20 Days. Though to be goest I don't believe much of what they say. One guy told me I am an independent student and the other a dependant. To be honest it doesn't really matter as my Mums income last tax year was 19000, so it won't affect my student finance bursary and it sounds as though Birkbeck will take in to consideration that I get NO support from parents and am living alone whilst studying, as I have done for 4 years.

It's so frustrating as I cannot accept my place yet, UCAC track stopped allowing you to add clearing choices between 29th July and 5th of August. But as soo as its all confirmed, I will be accepting and then enrolling shortly after.

I went to Court with my Barrister friend the other Day and met some people who had been to Birkbeck many years ago and said it was amazing, that the support is fantastic and people are great :-)

Ah I'm quite jealous. I don't j ow anyone that works in Law really. I've done some work experience and such but don't have any friends in Law :frown: haha.

I go to court regularly (magistrates), when I have nothin else going on that day, which is interesting but a bit boring on my own! Ill pm you. I also cannot wait I start I've been waiting since... December haha!
Student Finance should only take 10 days to cancel an application.

Unfortunately not at this time of year. Cancellations go into the same queue as transfers, withdrawals, suspensions, tuition fee amendments... I'd say you're looking at a month before applications are cancelled.

They really should have a separate queue I think for cancellations on accounts where no payment has been made, but that's not how it works.
Original post by applicationa
Unfortunately not at this time of year. Cancellations go into the same queue as transfers, withdrawals, suspensions, tuition fee amendments... I'd say you're looking at a month before applications are cancelled.

They really should have a separate queue I think for cancellations on accounts where no payment has been made, but that's not how it works.

I asked for mine to be cancelled in May, and it still isn't... but I then decided to go part time anyway so it doesn't matter if it isn't cancelled now haha.
Reply 8
I asked for mine to be cancelled in May, and it still isn't... but I then decided to go part time anyway so it doesn't matter if it isn't cancelled now haha.

What a mare! Thats awful. Well, ive got my paper application sent off anyway, they should receive it today and ive sent it signed for so I can double check!

I am waiting for my appointment with DWP to change my NI into the correct name to avoid delays. Apparently, assuming I have completed the form correctly and as they already have my supportiing evidence, once my NI number is received it should be proceed no problem. I will not be holding my breath though!

Can I ask what you plan to do with your work/ uni balance. I am trying to create a timetable at the moment.

My plan is

Monday work: 7.30am - 12pm. Go home nap, shower by 3pm, then either study at Birkbecks library until lecture or at home, then arrive at lecture for 6pm. Arrive home at 10pm.

Tuesday: NO WORK. Arrive at Uni for 12pm and work in the library until lecture starts. Arrive home at 10pm

Wednesday Work 7.30am - 12pm. SAME AS MONDAY

Thursday: NO WORK. Arrive at Uni for 2/3pm and study until lecture.

FRIDAY: Study from early as poss in the morning (normally up at 6am), then go in to work for 3pm until 7pm.

I plan to study either a full 8-6 Saturday or Sunday, depending on social plans.

I don't know if my timetable is a bit unrealistic :-/
What a mare! Thats awful. Well, ive got my paper application sent off anyway, they should receive it today and ive sent it signed for so I can double check!

I am waiting for my appointment with DWP to change my NI into the correct name to avoid delays. Apparently, assuming I have completed the form correctly and as they already have my supportiing evidence, once my NI number is received it should be proceed no problem. I will not be holding my breath though!

Can I ask what you plan to do with your work/ uni balance. I am trying to create a timetable at the moment.

My plan is

Monday work: 7.30am - 12pm. Go home nap, shower by 3pm, then either study at Birkbecks library until lecture or at home, then arrive at lecture for 6pm. Arrive home at 10pm.

Tuesday: NO WORK. Arrive at Uni for 12pm and work in the library until lecture starts. Arrive home at 10pm

Wednesday Work 7.30am - 12pm. SAME AS MONDAY

Thursday: NO WORK. Arrive at Uni for 2/3pm and study until lecture.

FRIDAY: Study from early as poss in the morning (normally up at 6am), then go in to work for 3pm until 7pm.

I plan to study either a full 8-6 Saturday or Sunday, depending on social plans.

I don't know if my timetable is a bit unrealistic :-/

My 'timetable' is similar...

MONDAY. Work 7am 11am. Gym straight from work for an hour. Shower. Study for 4 hours.

TUESDAY. Go to Uni for 2ish before lectures at 6. Home by about 10pm. Sleep lol.

WEDNESDAY. Volunteer 1-4. Then Uni. Home by 10.

THURSDAY. Study for about 6 hours. Then Uni.

FRIDAY. Work 1230-1630. Studying around it for 2 hours or so.

SATURDAY. Study 6 hours.

SUNDAY. Work 930am-530pm

I have another 8 hours at work but that hasn't been changed yet as ATM it clashes with Uni!

I think mine may be unrealistic but as long as I try and stick to it I should be fine.

My only problem will be my illness, as my tablets make me very sleepy so I often sleep in till like 11am, which could be time spent studying. So I've started setting an alarm for like 9am, then I'm gradually setting it for earlier.

Where do you live?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
My 'timetable' is similar...

MONDAY. Work 7am 11am. Gym straight from work for an hour. Shower. Study for 4 hours.

TUESDAY. Go to Uni for 2ish before lectures at 6. Home by about 10pm. Sleep lol.

WEDNESDAY. Volunteer 1-4. Then Uni. Home by 10.

THURSDAY. Study for about 6 hours. Then Uni.

FRIDAY. Work 1230-1630. Studying around it for 2 hours or so.

SATURDAY. Study 6 hours.

SUNDAY. Work 930am-530pm

I have another 8 hours at work but that hasn't been changed yet as ATM it clashes with Uni!

I think mine may be unrealistic but as long as I try and stick to it I should be fine.

My only problem will be my illness, as my tablets make me very sleepy so I often sleep in till like 11am, which could be time spent studying. So I've started setting an alarm for like 9am, then I'm gradually setting it for earlier.

Where do you live?

Thanks. They do sound pretty similar! I think that its do-able but we wont really know until we start Uni I suppose. Things will have to be juggled round for us both every now and then and im sure there will be some weeks we study less/ more than our timetables permit.

I live in Crystal Palace, what about you?

Sorry to hear you have an illness that may effect you. Not sure what it is, so cannot really comment other than do your best and if you need sleep, have it! Studying when tiered or feeling ill is just as good as not studying at all. Maybe take a few hours off your timetable for studying and see how you go. If you feel your falling behind, increase it but there's no point in taking on too much if you are dealing with an illness on top.
Thanks. They do sound pretty similar! I think that its do-able but we wont really know until we start Uni I suppose. Things will have to be juggled round for us both every now and then and im sure there will be some weeks we study less/ more than our timetables permit.

I live in Crystal Palace, what about you?

Sorry to hear you have an illness that may effect you. Not sure what it is, so cannot really comment other than do your best and if you need sleep, have it! Studying when tiered or feeling ill is just as good as not studying at all. Maybe take a few hours off your timetable for studying and see how you go. If you feel your falling behind, increase it but there's no point in taking on too much if you are dealing with an illness on top.

No way! You live near me, I'm in Beckenham.

Yeah I'm just trying, at the moment, to get into a good sleeping routine. It's going well though!

I know that Uni is only 2 hours in the evening, so we could be in lecture from 6-7 then seminar 7-8. Or 6-7 then 8-9. Which will be good.
Reply 12
No way! You live near me, I'm in Beckenham.

Yeah I'm just trying, at the moment, to get into a good sleeping routine. It's going well though!

I know that Uni is only 2 hours in the evening, so we could be in lecture from 6-7 then seminar 7-8. Or 6-7 then 8-9. Which will be good.

Wow your so close!

I am about to look at a business premises in Beckenham tomorrow! My partner wants to re-locate to Beckenham but I currently open my other business at 7-7.30am so I want to be walking distance, hence staying in Crystal Palace for now. Well, we can always help each other with studying if we have one of those weeks where were just struggling to motivate ourselfs etc!
Wow your so close!

I am about to look at a business premises in Beckenham tomorrow! My partner wants to re-locate to Beckenham but I currently open my other business at 7-7.30am so I want to be walking distance, hence staying in Crystal Palace for now. Well, we can always help each other with studying if we have one of those weeks where were just struggling to motivate ourselfs etc!

Ah OK, I live in Beckenham High Street!

What kind of business do you run? I work for Sainsburys part-time ha ha. Nothing amazing, but I live round the corner and it pays quite well compared to what I've done previously. It's also cool because I can kind o f pick my hours around Uni, which rules!
Reply 14
Ah OK, I live in Beckenham High Street!

What kind of business do you run? I work for Sainsburys part-time ha ha. Nothing amazing, but I live round the corner and it pays quite well compared to what I've done previously. It's also cool because I can kind o f pick my hours around Uni, which rules!

Nothing wrong with that! I done every job possible before starting my own business and even that is grubby haha. I am a qualified canine hydrotherapist but I no longer do hydrotherapy as I decided against fitting a pool and facilities at my own centre when I decided I was going to Uni, so I just use my current centre as a Dog behavior rehab clinic and Dog "Day Care". Covers the bills. The premises im looking at tomorrow is for my Legal Assistance, Property Sales & Lettings and commercial lettings business. Its not my own as I am 50/50 with another guy. We used to do this together but gave it up while he moved away. Now were giving it another shot. Do you know Beckenham Road? The part near a removals company? Thats where im looking at a premises tomorrow, good price but dont know what the areas like for business. Maybe your knowledge of Beckenham would be helpful :-)

Quick Reply

Latest