The Student Room Group

Upper class V working class

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sophia...x
Lmao what a load of rubbish. You make out like poorer kids parants let them get away with more than posher kids, poorer kids have to go to university and learn how to deal with been surrounded by kids who have had everything they wanted growing up and who treat us like idiots because we dont speak in a way that is exeptable for posher kids, so no, rich kids DO NOT have a harder time at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just saying that when people go off the rails at uni it is much more noticeable with the richer kids than the poorer ones.
Original post by thoyub
I mean that richer kids tend to change more in university than poorer people. Poorer people generally have already picked up habits like drinking, smoking, drugs etc (no offence to them) before they go to university.

But richer kids often live in a stricter home environment so when they do go off to university, their lifestyle change is a lot more of a change than the poorer kids. For example, someone who was brought up in a posh household where smoking, drugs, getting drunk and general trashy behaviour etc were forbidden by the parents, but then they go off to university and they start doing those things.
That's a bigger lifestyle change than a person who was already doing those things before uni.

So the richer people who go to uni have a bigger change than most.

I don't think that's always true - lots of well off students come from homes where there is a lot of liberality about behaviour. If anything, I would suggest it's more the other way around. Maybe it depends on the university/college, but I also think those of us who went to private schools have a bit of a head start at college in terms of taking care of business and being your own person.
Original post by thoyub
I mean that richer kids tend to change more in university than poorer people. Poorer people generally have already picked up habits like drinking, smoking, drugs etc (no offence to them) before they go to university.

But richer kids often live in a stricter home environment so when they do go off to university, their lifestyle change is a lot more of a change than the poorer kids. For example, someone who was brought up in a posh household where smoking, drugs, getting drunk and general trashy behaviour etc were forbidden by the parents, but then they go off to university and they start doing those things.
That's a bigger lifestyle change than a person who was already doing those things before uni.

So the richer people who go to uni have a bigger change than most.

You said in your last comment that 'they have a harder time dealing with university life,' an argument which both sophia...x and I shattered in our previous comments. You didn't use the word 'change'.

Here you've displayed a very obnoxious Daily Mail attitude. Okay, you might get the odd smart-shirt-wearing Sebastian but not all rich families are poncy goody-two-shoes stereotypes, and you can't categorise drinking, smoking and drugs as 'poor people' habits. I've seen enough kids from well-off backgrounds who smoke a lot, drink a lot and take drugs, to invalidate your generalisation - in fact, quite often I find it's kids with really pushy parents who are more likely to struggle to cope and therefore indulge in those 'habits' for escapism. We're not peer-pressured into taking drugs; certain drugs are novelties which appeal to lots of young people. The reality is that many of us are actually just curious and simply want to have a gooooooooood time, rich or not rich. Besides, the majority of 'poor people' at university aren't the irresponsible, substance-abusing, junky degenerates you dismiss them as, otherwise they probably wouldn't have had the capacity to have made it to university in the first place. Also, there's no concrete evidence to prove that drinking, smoking and drug-taking (assuming we're not talking about crack or heroin) 'change' you, whatever exactly you mean by that? Just because someone enjoys the occasional spliff doesn't mean they're all of a sudden an amoeba.

Anyway, most people drink, regardless of their economic background. And many people take drugs at Oxford and Cambridge, and those universities have (by far) the lowest intake of state school kids. Explain that...

Perhaps the reason why Sebastian-ish kids might 'change' when they go to university is because they can finally mingle with a culture of kids who are cross-sections of what I call the 'real world'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sophia...x
Lmao what a load of rubbish. You make out like poorer kids parants let them get away with more than posher kids, poorer kids have to go to university and learn how to deal with been surrounded by kids who have had everything they wanted growing up and who treat us like idiots because we dont speak in a way that is exeptable for posher kids, so no, rich kids DO NOT have a harder time at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. In my halls I was unlucky enough to be the only person in my flat who wasn't privately educated. To make things worse it was single-sex, so it felt very much like being in a public school dorm. Most of my flatmates were actually quite nice but fucking hell it was intimidating... :eek:

Still, these horrible parents who send their little angels to fee-paying schools do not seem to realise the feelings of inadequacy that their elite little turds inflict upon everyone else. People who I've spoken to about this probably think I'm a prejudiced, inverse snob, but they have no idea what it's like to actually have to live in such intimidating conditions. I pretty much isolated myself in my room for a whole semester (but then I was also unlucky enough to be living with someone who happened to be a massive cunt too).

Sorry for the inverse snobbery. I've met many private schoolers at uni who are nice people, and I really mean that. But I've met more who are not...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending