Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for deferred entry or post A level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely taking a gap year. So should I apply for deferred entry or should I apply post A level? Is it true that it is less "stressful" applying post A level, since you already have the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffreyweingard)
    I am definitely taking a gap year. So should I apply for deferred entry or should I apply post A level? Is it true that it is less "stressful" applying post A level, since you already have the grades?
    There are pros and cons to each, but I suggest that you apply pre-qualification for deferred entry, and if you do not get into your desired university, then you can re-apply post-qualification. This way you have 2 attempts at accomplishing your goal and receiving an offer at your desired university. If you apply for deferred entry, you'd have the drive to meet your offers and therefore want to do well in your exams. On the other hand if you apply post-qualification, you won't need to be distracted by the hassle of going through the UCAS admissions process. Also if you apply for deferred entry, you'll be able to go through your gap year without any worries whatsoever about your university place.

ReputationRep:
    Applied by deffered entry and now unis are apparently prefering people to take a gap year as it shows you have the motivation to go out and do something with your life, instead of just working for 50 years on the trot.

ReputationRep:
    You might aswel just apply, aim for 4 realistic places and 2 that you REALLY would like to go to in an ideal world with your ideal exam results, that way you might end up at somewhere really good that you might not if you only have the oppurtunity to apply once.

As someone else said aswell, it gives you double the chance of getting into a place you wanna go.

ReputationRep:
    Also you get the experience of going through the whole process so you end up knowing what universities are looking for so if you don't get into your preferred university the first time round you're in a much better position second time round when applying.

ReputationRep:
    I think it all depends on what you find 'less stressful'; either you apply to uni without having your final grades & are stuck with a conditional until August, or you head off on a gap year without a secure uni place to come back to. You can't win!

ReputationRep:
    "Stuck with a conditional"? Explain please

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't know whether you've got what you need until you get the grades officially in August right?

ReputationRep:
    Before i applied i emailed several universities and they all said that it was better to apply for deferred entry instead of after applications.
    While it may be less stressfull doing your exams while you do not have an offer to make (ie applying after exams) at the end of the day you still know which unis you want to go to and what grades you need even to be considered for a place- so in a way it is not that much less stressfull (for example if you knew you would not get an offer if you didnt have ABB, you would still have to work hard to get that whether or not you were holding an offer or applying next time round)

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying post A-level partly because I didn't have the foresight to apply for deferred entry and partly because of predicted grades issues. And no, it isn't really less stressful this way. I might not have an offer yet, but I still know which grades I want to get and which universities I want to go to.

My advice is to apply for deferred entry and if you don't get the place you want in university re-apply next year

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.