Turn on thread page Beta

the 5:2 fasting diet. Is any one doing it? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone. Ive heard a lot about this diet, lots of people seem to be doing it and have lost a lot of weight. Is any one here doing it? If so, how much weight have you lost, in what space of time? And also if you stop the diet does it pile back on really quickly? Ive heard that if you do a low or no carb diet, as soon as you stop the weight comes back really quickly. And one last thing... when on a fast day and you can only eat 500 cals,,, what do you eat? thanks guys x

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing this but found it really difficult as you're still eating normal amounts on most days, it's really hard to stick to just 500 on those two days because your body's not used to it. I also found I didn't really lose any weight as the rest of the time I was just eating as normal. Instead I've now cut my calorie intake by about 500 cals a day (I eat c.1400 a day now), and just kept that up for a few months now and have lost quite a lot of weight that way instead, and I found it way easier than 5:2

ReputationRep:
    Hey Emma, I am considering doing the 5:2 but I have been looking online at meals that I can make up with low calories and cant find hardly anything. I used to eat a lot of carbs, id have toast or bready every day, eat pasta couple times a week and potatoes with most meals! So ive tired to cut out as many carbs as possible and go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. so far ive lost 4 pounds in just under 2 weeks. I have no idea if this is good or slow as ive never been on a diet before!

ReputationRep:
    4 pounds in 2 weeks is a good pace! losing 1-2 pounds a week is what is recommended, as anything faster is usually unhealthy and very difficult to keep off after you finish dieting, so what you're doing sounds good! Unfortunately with the 5:2 a fast day does really mean you cant eat proper meals, which I my experience just isn't helpful- it's better to just eat slightly less over a longer period to get the same calorie deficit I think

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your advice I read that some people fast over night between 8pm and 1pm the next day, so that way they are not going a whole day with hardly any food. makes it sound a bit more appealing as your back to normal eating after lunch time. Still hard work tho! I seem to be doing ok doing what Im doing so I may just stick at that rather than going on the 5:2! I like my food too much!

ReputationRep:
    This thread might be useful for you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2176960 I lurked around it while I was losing weight, but never posted!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing intermittent fasting - so I fast for 16-20 hours every single day, then eat all of my food within 4-8 hours.

Happy to answer any specific questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same as above^^^
    Trust me when I say this it's amazing for losing fat, and it really isn't difficult once you get in it! I can't go for 20 hours though, I keep mine at an 18:6 ratio

ReputationRep:
    Fasting
    Eating 500 calories

i don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy387)
    hey everyone. Ive heard a lot about this diet, lots of people seem to be doing it and have lost a lot of weight. Is any one here doing it? If so, how much weight have you lost, in what space of time? And also if you stop the diet does it pile back on really quickly? Ive heard that if you do a low or no carb diet, as soon as you stop the weight comes back really quickly. And one last thing... when on a fast day and you can only eat 500 cals,,, what do you eat? thanks guys x
    I did this for about a year and it was shiiite. I did lose weight but I don't know if that was due to doing more sport because I stopped IF a few months ago and gained back very little weight, if any.:dontknow:
    It was alright at first but I started getting headaches and feeling really tired on fast days, it was progressively worsening so I thought **** this and ate normally again. So personally I don't think it's worth it but if you try it and it works for you here's some advice:
    Eat plenty of vegetables on fast days so that you don't feel too hungry, they're low calorie so you can make yourself sufficiently full and then have fun with your 'leftover' calories.
    Drink hot drinks like green tea on fast days. They'll make you feel better.
    Don't exercise on fast days. You will most likely feel terrible.
    Most importantly, reconsider your motivation for this. I don't want to pass judgement but it's worth saying that if you are already at a healthy weight you shouldn't do this. Just making sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I'm not doing this but my mum and dad are on this. Dad's lost about a stone in a month and Mum's dropped 2 dress sizes and a fair few inches of her waist in about 4 or 5 months.

On their fasting days they have slimming meals twice a day (200 cals each) then split a weight watcher's ready meal. As much fruit as you want can be eaten cause it's so low calorie.

Note that you don't just fast, exercise is needed. My parents go swimming/gym at least 5+ times a week and have fairly active jobs. That includes exercising on fasting days, and parents feel fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DashingHero)
    Hey so I'm not doing this but my mum and dad are on this. Dad's lost about a stone in a month and Mum's dropped 2 dress sizes and a fair few inches of her waist in about 4 or 5 months.

On their fasting days they have slimming meals twice a day (200 cals each) then split a weight watcher's ready meal. As much fruit as you want can be eaten cause it's so low calorie.

Note that you don't just fast, exercise is needed. My parents go swimming/gym at least 5+ times a week and have fairly active jobs. That includes exercising on fasting days, and parents feel fine
    Fruit isn't really that low calorie. A few pieces of fruit could easily be another few hundred calories on top of the five hundred they're already eating.
    Did your parents start fasting at the same point in time they started exercising five times a week?
    Don't know how your parents feel fine exercising on fast days. Possibly all the sugar from the fruit. Still wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepyepyep)
    Fruit isn't really that low calorie. A few pieces of fruit could easily be another few hundred calories on top of the five hundred they're already eating.
    Did your parents start fasting at the same point in time they started exercising five times a week?
    Don't know how your parents feel fine exercising on fast days. Possibly all the sugar from the fruit. Still wouldn't recommend it.
    I don't really know, that's just what my dad said. Anyway as far as I know they just stick to the milkshake and ready meal and don't fruit binge.

My parents had already been exercising a bit but not as much as they do now, maybe like twice a week. Or just cycling to work instead.

I don't understand your issue with fasting and exercising the same day. I've done just that a few times in the past and haven't felt much difference then doing it on a normal day. Neither have my parents

ReputationRep:
    It seems like a good way to get out of a plateau.

I haven't tried it and can't imagine myself doing it continuously until I reach my goal because I so need my calories for my workouts. However I might give it a go when I hit my inevitable plateau, which I'm so totally afraid of hitting so I'm getting all my plateau-breaking plans ready!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm currently doing a 7:7 fast as the current month calls for it

I have lost a little weight but not a lot. Having said that, I have literally binged (eaten whatever i wanted) once the fasting day was over - more so than I would eat on a non-fasting day - and I've still managed to lose weight so for me it's quite conclusive that fasting does work.

Atm the moment my fasting day is roughly 18:6 in terms of eating hours with 18 fasting and 6 non-fasting.

500 calories seems like a drastic cut. May I suggest perhaps a 4:3 fasting week where you eat for 4 days and fast for 3... but increase the calories to 1000-ish?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know, that's just what my dad said. Anyway as far as I know they just stick to the milkshake and ready meal and don't fruit binge.

My parents had already been exercising a bit but not as much as they do now, maybe like twice a week. Or just cycling to work instead.

I don't understand your issue with fasting and exercising the same day. I've done just that a few times in the past and haven't felt much difference then doing it on a normal day. Neither have my parents
    Makes sense if they don't eat a lot of it, but it still can add up. Your dad should be able to eat more on fast days though, being a man.
    It just strikes me as a bad idea to be exercising when you've eaten very little. I felt terrible doing that. The only way it was okay was to do something not very strenuous e.g. a run and in the morning before I got hungry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepyepyep)
    Makes sense if they don't eat a lot of it, but it still can add up. Your dad should be able to eat more on fast days though, being a man.
    It just strikes me as a bad idea to be exercising when you've eaten very little. I felt terrible doing that. The only way it was okay was to do something not very strenuous e.g. a run and in the morning before I got hungry.
    I think I see where you coming from with fasting and exercising, but that's assuming you're hungry constantly. The milkshakes my parents have fill you up loads. More than my normal lunch

So exercising when you feel hungry is a defiant no. That can make you feel sick or actually be sick. My parents don't feel constantly hungry on fasting days so can do exercise and feel fine

ReputationRep:
    I think I see where you coming from with fasting and exercising, but that's assuming you're hungry constantly. The milkshakes my parents have fill you up loads. More than my normal lunch

So exercising when you feel hungry is a defiant no. That can make you feel sick or actually be sick. My parents don't feel constantly hungry on fasting days so can do exercise and feel fine
    Your parents must be doing right. Maybe I just get hungrier than your average joe.

ReputationRep:
    I literally just started today, as I want to try train my body to not feel hungry all the time whilst losing some weight, I had a banana for breakfast I didn't have lunch and then had lettuce, cucumber and a hard boiled egg was difficult cause Im so used to eating pretty much all the time but it wasn't too bad! Ill need to keep at it for a while but I do Zumba twice a week and I have my own spin machine which I do for 15 minutes everyday! I'm hopeful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add a touch of science to this seeing as it's where my degree is at!

To lose 1 pound you need a deficit of -3500 calories. That is why the recommended weekly weight loss is only at 1 pound as it would equal to -500 calories a day. It's also because a giant cut on the intake of food can 'stress' your body as it's just been cut from all the nutrients it's used to getting, and needing.

You are in control over your own body though but as long as you still feel healthy and are motivated to do it, then who should tell you not to? I may give this a try in all honesty ha!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.