This discussion is closed.
mauri
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey guys. im new to this so be generous.
im going to (i am, I AM) study architecture at some point, so i was wondering first of all which of the colleges is the best for it at cambridge.
i suppose you either put me in the category of middle of the road, or demanding but i want an academic but social college (not all girls). im guessing you all know what's the best, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
and as for the whole stress thing, is that real? or are people being dramatic?
what's the favourite accomodation as far as attractive goes? (i will be an architect after all)
and which college has a good divide between fun and working?
its so difficult to get it right.
all thoughts welcome
m
Drederick Tatum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mauri)
Hey guys. im new to this so be generous.
im going to (i am, I AM) study architecture at some point, so i was wondering first of all which of the colleges is the best for it at cambridge.
i suppose you either put me in the category of middle of the road, or demanding but i want an academic but social college (not all girls). im guessing you all know what's the best, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
and as for the whole stress thing, is that real? or are people being dramatic?
what's the favourite accomodation as far as attractive goes? (i will be an architect after all)
and which college has a good divide between fun and working?
its so difficult to get it right.
all thoughts welcome
m
Emmanuel
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Drederick Tatum)
Emmanuel

I second that.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
thirded.

Academice, but best college bar, biggest pub in cambridge (rumoured in europe) across the road. Fun fun fun.

Read the alternative prospectus, it clinched it for me.
mauri
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ta very much.
Hedgie
Report 16 years ago
I've just read the alternative prospectus - I'm not surprised it's popoular! But just how over-subcribed is it, does anyone know?For instance it is as more or less popular than say Kings?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hedgie)
I've just read the alternative prospectus - I'm not surprised it's popoular! But just how over-subcribed is it, does anyone know?For instance it is as more or less popular than say Kings?
According to the coloured table at the back of my 2003-2004 prospectus, it is (slightly) less popular than Kings yet for all the subjects mentioned there is at least a slightly higher than average number of applicants.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I heard from a (very) reliable Cambridge source that Emmanuel applicants have the best chance of getting into the university. This baffled me at first, but apparently it's because of the winter pool. The college pools lots of applicants who don't get in first time, and other colleges tend to look at these applications first because Emmanuel is the most popular. Although it was a Vet Med tutor from Emmanuel who told me that so this may well only apply to Vet Med, but still interesting.
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was put off Emma by the fact that their official prospectus said you need double maths A-level to get in for Engineering, and my school only offers further maths to AS-level, most colleges only require the single A-level and regard any further maths as a bonus, (St Cats told me to "just do as much maths as you possibly can") Other than that, I thought it looked really nice.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
I was put off Emma by the fact that their official prospectus said you need double maths A-level to get in for Engineering, and my school only offers further maths to AS-level, most colleges only require the single A-level and regard any further maths as a bonus, (St Cats told me to "just do as much maths as you possibly can") Other than that, I thought it looked really nice.
As long as you have lots of Pure and Mechanics modules, then that's fine.

Doing Double Maths filled up with Stats would hardly be of any help to engineering.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, most of the colleges are very friendly. Emma has the reputation, obviously, but in terms of my experience of the people at the colleges I'd say Clare, Sidney, Trinity Hall, Jesus, St Catherine's. Some of the bigger names can be very academic as they have reputations to uphold - Christ's obviously, Trinity also seems quite academic. As for buildings.. all the ones I've named are old and fairly central. Jesus has beautiful grounds and buildings, and the oldest buildings in the university (although it isn't the oldest college). Plus all the undergrad rooms I've see there are pretty huge. Sidney's buildings aren't the prettiest in Cam but we do have beautiful gardens. Tit Hall's lovely and the people I know there are living in old college in their first year, if that's what you want. Just about all the colleges have their fair share of ugly buildings though - it IS a university after all!

Just a point about Emma - if you go there you will have to live right next to the bus station, urrrgh noisy!

PS Yeah, the stress thing is pretty real - but then if you're cramming everything into three eight-week terms that's only to be expected!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
Yes you could, in theory, do no Mechanics modules and do a double maths a-level, and they would "prefer" this to 1.5 A-Levels with Pure and Mech only?
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
They told us at the emma open day that you were statistically most likely to get in by applying to emma becasue emma is very over subscribed with good candidates, and so they pool more people than other colleges, and lots of pooled peeople get in to other places. Thats why i ended up choosing it over selwyn, casue i thought i might as well aim for the top and then i could go down if need be!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads