Advice from future philosophy students pleeeease!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
LinLee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Do you think i've got much of a chance getting into a philosophy course having not done philosophy?
All you peeps that've got accpetances, what subjects did u take?
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LinLee)
Do you think i've got much of a chance getting into a philosophy course having not done philosophy?
I'm going to Warwick to study philosophy (also got offers from York, Essex and Durham). I'm taking History, English B and Norwegian A1 at higher level and Economics, Math Methods and Physics at standard level (International Baccalureate diploma programme). I initially applied for PPE but York, Warwick and Durham let me change to philosophy. Didn't ask Essex cuz I simply didn't bother. It's good to have read some books about philosophy though (I think).
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
I'm going to Warwick to study philosophy (also got offers from York, Essex and Durham). I'm taking History, English B and Norwegian A1 at higher level and Economics, Math Methods and Physics at standard level (International Baccalureate diploma programme). I initially applied for PPE but York, Warwick and Durham let me change to philosophy. Didn't ask Essex cuz I simply didn't bother. It's good to have read some books about philosophy though (I think).

scray avatar again!!! please change it...it gives nightmares! x
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*scary tis what i meant to say
LinLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda)
Okay, that's cool was worried that they only accpeted students who studied philosophy. Im dreading the interview! yup yup starting reading those books now. Did u have interviews for any of your offers?
LinLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by babyboo)
scray avatar again!!! please change it...it gives nightmares! x
hahaha....why?
bring back some bad memories?
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okay, that's cool was worried that they only accpeted students who studied philosophy. Im dreading the interview! yup yup starting reading those books now. Did u have interviews for any of your offers?
No interviews as I am from Norway. Good luck with yours!
LinLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda)
No interviews as I am from Norway. Good luck with yours!
Thankyou! congrats on all your offers. and welcome to the uk
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have never studied philosophy and have been made six offers to do so next year. No department expects you to have studied any since it's not offered in the vast majority of state schools. Unfortunately, this leads to some courses (like Durham's) having a large number of "rahs" on.

I've gotten offers studying maths, chemistry, geography and photography, but I think they'll accept any subjects as long as you sound interested in philosophy on your personal statement.

And chances are you won't have any interviews to go to. I, at least, didn't.
LinLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by bananaman)
I have never studied philosophy and have been made six offers to do so next year. No department expects you to have studied any since it's not offered in the vast majority of state schools. Unfortunately, this leads to some courses (like Durham's) having a large number of "rahs" on.

I've gotten offers studying maths, chemistry, geography and photography, but I think they'll accept any subjects as long as you sound interested in philosophy on your personal statement.

And chances are you won't have any interviews to go to. I, at least, didn't.
thanks for that that's reasuring.
what unis have u applied for?
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks for that that's reasuring.
what unis have u applied for?
I've got offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Warwick, Bristol and Liverpool. Whilst I'd love to do Durham's course, having just come back from their (two day) open day, I really don't want to live there. I'll probably accept Edinburgh's offer.

Also, the grades for philosophy are usually much lower than for similarly academic courses (history and the like). I got four BBB offers and two ABB.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nah, they don't require Philosophy A level because only 5000 or so people sit it each year.
LinLee
Rep:
?
I've got offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Warwick, Bristol and Liverpool. Whilst I'd love to do Durham's course, having just come back from their (two day) open day, I really don't want to live there. I'll probably accept Edinburgh's offer.

Also, the grades for philosophy are usually much lower than for similarly academic courses (history and the like). I got four BBB offers and two ABB.
I cant afford to move out, so all my choices have been made in london. The main one i want to go to is UCL. They sent me two questions to answer for the philosophy course, which i am finding ok~ish.
hoping i wont need an interview ~ already got my ALevels
i take it you defo wanna move out!
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I cant afford to move out, so all my choices have been made in london. The main one i want to go to is UCL. They sent me two questions to answer for the philosophy course, which i am finding ok~ish.
hoping i wont need an interview ~ already got my ALevels
i take it you defo wanna move out!
You're talking about not being able to afford stuff and staying in London?!!
LinLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
Nah, they don't require Philosophy A level because only 5000 or so people sit it each year.
cool
LinLee
Rep:
?
You're talking about not being able to afford stuff and staying in London?!!
hehehe, yes! free food, electricity, bed at home!!!
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
BTW Linda, have you made your final choice yet? I personally think that Durham would be a better choice than Warwick.
Having been there this week, Durham does have a fantastic course. But unless you're a posh rah who went to private school, you'll find the place horrible.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Better to go to a place infested with rahs than a glorified 1960s poly.
Much as I acknowledge the futility of what I'm about to ask, but do you have anything against Warwick that isn't based on its age?
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Much as I acknowledge the futility of what I'm about to ask, but do you have anything against Warwick that isn't based on its age?
I applied to Warwick because their philosophy course was interesting, and seemed to have more of an emphasis on social aspects of philosophy, borne out by its being taught in the department of social sciences and not arts/humanities.

I'm not sure I'd want to go there, though. I wouldn't like to live at any campus university for various reasons. And when the nearest town is Coventry, it's hardly thrilling. Mostly though, it's because I've got an offer from somewhere else I'd rather go to.
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
BTW Linda, have you made your final choice yet? I personally think that Durham would be a better choice than Warwick.
Warwick offer more of the kind of courses I'd like to take (philosophy of mind, consciousness, artificial intelligence, meaning and inference, symbolic logic etc etc).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads