Advice from future philosophy students pleeeease! Watch

This discussion is closed.
covered farm wagon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Linda, I'll see you at Warwick! I have an AAB offer to do philosophy there this September so as long as I get the grades that's where I'll be going!

As for having studied philosophy before... I do philosophy A level but apparantly it's not a huge help for degree level. I think it helps you find out how much you're actually interested in the subject to study it before, and to let yourself know what you're letting yourself in for, but as long as you do plenty of reading beforehand I think it'll be fine. As has already been said, most people applying wont have studied it before, so best of luck!

Emma
xxx
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wa)
I do philosophy A level but apparantly it's not a huge help for degree level.
I found having philosophy A Level (AQA Philosophy, not philosophy and ethics, RS, etc.) helped in that I was already familiar with philosophical methods, but the content itself doesn't really have any significant effect on performance at degree level. It's OK as an introduction to philosophy but definitely only scratches the surface. IMHO no-one should read philosophy at university simply because they liked A Level as a degree is much more rigorous, and in many respects a lot different in actual content and approach.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads