Difference between a 'normal' practical car test and a car and trailer test???

Watch
beccamxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I passed my theory test today! (Whoop Whoop!) and I am looking at booking in my practical test

My dad told me that when i pass my practical there will be an option to tick on your pass form if you want to be able to tow trailers (he obviously didn't know its changed from all the years ago when he passed his). He said its best to put that on your license just in case, and i agree, you never know lol. But anyway i went to apply for the test today and there was a completely separate option for cars and trailers tests.

If i apply for this option will they expect me to tow a trailer in the test or isn't it actually different? And if i don't select this option when booking the test, when i pass will there be a box or something i can tick to say i do want to tow a trailer (without having to take an extra test)?

Thanks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As far as I know the car and trailer test is separate and actually requires you to take the test with a trailer in tow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry848
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If, like me u want to tow a trailer at some point then first u need to pass ur B licence (car). Once u have done this u can then take the b+e licence which would allow u to tow a trailer.
If u want to tow or drive anything bigger u have to pass the test for that entitlement.

If u ask me the changes to the licences are now more of an inconvenient than anything else
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can tow a fair amount on a standard car license without doing the +trailer test anyway.
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Henry848)
first u need to pass ur B licence (car). Once u have done this u can then take the b+e
This.

From what I've been reading lately on these forums, never listen to "Dad" when it comes to motoring matters; they do spout some garbage. It's always best to ask an expert.
bleh236
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Advisor)
This.

From what I've been reading lately on these forums, never listen to "Dad" when it comes to motoring matters; they do spout some garbage. It's always best to ask an expert.
I second this, the dung my dad comes up with about motoring rules is pathetic. He still preaches a single carriage way signposted as national speed limit means 40mph.

(Original post by Henry848)
If, like me u want to tow a trailer at some point then first u need to pass ur B licence (car). Once u have done this u can then take the b+e licence which would allow u to tow a trailer.
If u want to tow or drive anything bigger u have to pass the test for that entitlement.

If u ask me the changes to the licences are now more of an inconvenient than anything else
Second this, once you pass you will have to sit a separate B+E.

As for OP. I wouldn't really bother with it unless you wish to tow a caravan or a heavy trailer, you are allowed to tow up to a trailer weighing no more than 750KG ( unloaded or loaded) on a standard B licence. To make it a little more complex you have to abide by the vehicles Maximum Authorised Mass e.g. the maximum weight the vehicle can be + towing capacity which has been the same for years though so often enough you cant tow near that unless you have like a 2 litre diesel or a 4x4.
spyka
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you pass your car (cat B) test, you now automatically get provisional entitlement on trailer driving (cat B+E). You don't need to tick anything.

The provisional entitlement for B+E is no different to being a provisional holder for the basic car test, i.e. you have to have L-plates, be under instruction, etc. until you pass.
ROG.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Been away a while and much has changed re B only licence towing as well as the B+E test so here is some info you may be interested in .....

These rules apply to all B and B+E category drivers no matter when the test was passed

B category
Vehicle not more than 3500 kg plated GVW

B category towing
A trailer of 750 kg max plated MAM may be towed by a B category vehicle making a possible total plated MAM of 4250 kg
If a trailer over 750 kg plated MAM is towed by a B category vehicle then the plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer (MTPLM of a caravan) must not total more than 3500 kg

B+E category
Towing a trailer with a B category vehicle where the trailer is not over 3500 kg plated MAM

To tow a trailer over 3500 kg plated MAM the category needed is C1+E

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6U...eature=related - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise = http://www.drivesafedriving.co.uk/b_e_rev_movie.htm - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM = https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ea_diagram.pdf
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5K...eature=related - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

The trailer must now be loaded with 600 kgs of sand bags or a 1000 kgs water IBC for the test so most companies are now training with that weight in the trailer = https://www.gov.uk/new-laden-testing...-test-vehicles

Well explained here = http://www.trailertraining-wales.co.uk/test.html

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test that means you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS = http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...les/DG_4022521
Remember that the required 600 kgs of sand bags or 1 x 1000 IBC filled with water will be required in the trailer and the load must be secure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.68%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (525)
48.7%

Watched Threads