Turn on thread page Beta

Osbournes dad in law - "Frack the north" watch

ReputationRep:
    Who knew George Osbourne was juiced in to a political dynasty? - I always thought he scored the chancellors job on merit.

anyhow - dad in law shows why people in the north feel the tory party isn't on their side...

Lord Howell of Guildford, whose daughter Frances is married to the Chancellor, claimed the controversial form of gas production could take place in the North East without any impact on the surrounding environment.

Environmental campaigners called the declaration "jaw-dropping" and Labour claimed it was further proof that the Tories are "out of touch" with ordinary Britons.

The Tory peer, who was energy secretary under Margaret Thatcher, argued that the same approach on fracking should not be taken in all regions.

"Would you accept that it could be a mistake to think of and discuss fracking in terms of the whole of the United Kingdom in one go?," he said at Lords Questions.

"I mean there obviously are, in beautiful natural areas, worries about not just the drilling and the fracking, which I think are exaggerated, but about the trucks, and the delivery, and the roads, and the disturbance, and those about justified worries."

He added: "But there are large and uninhabited and desolate areas, certainly in part of the North East where there's plenty of room for fracking, well away from anybody's residence where we could conduct without any kind of threat to the rural environment."
    http://news.sky.com/story/1122219/lo...ate-north-east

So basically a rich tory wants to use fracking to get us out of the energy crisis caused by the inaction of successive governments... so long as it's not happening anywhere near his back yard or those of his rich southern tory mates.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a northerner myself but I only find what he said slightly offensive at worst, mainly because I don't think what he said is as bad as the News is making out. I was watching the Lords on BBC Parliament and I'm sure he said fracking should only be done in derelict parts of the North East, not that the North East was a derelict place.

What's Osborne got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Who knew George Osbourne was juiced in to a political dynasty? - I always thought he scored the chancellors job on merit.

anyhow - dad in law shows why people in the north feel the tory party isn't on their side...

http://news.sky.com/story/1122219/lo...ate-north-east

So basically a rich tory wants to use fracking to get us out of the energy crisis caused by the inaction of successive governments... so long as it's not happening anywhere near his back yard or those of his rich southern tory mates.

So he's basically said that there's less populated areas in the north of England. What he's stated is fact.

lets be honest. It's not like the north of England couldn't do with the jobs boost, economic boost and investment in infrastructure.

Tell me. Are you one of those people who doesn't quite understand where the government gets it money from?

ReputationRep:

Or maybe it's just that there isn't any shale gas in the south to be fracked?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the point that the majority of the Shale in fact in the north west and he said to do it in the north east?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Isn't the point that the majority of the Shale in fact in the north west and he said to do it in the north east?
    Depends how you define the northeast. I'm in the area that receives the BBC North East and Cumbria and we're on top of one of the bands that's supposedly rich in the gas.

And do I have issues with what he's said? No. I have issues, however, with the sensationalist way it's been reported. There's nothing factually inaccurate with what he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    No. It's just poor quality sensationalism.

ReputationRep:
    And yet, there'll be no complaining from when he says 'oh there's an uninhabited area in the south of England so frack that' which proves you're a ****ing dumb as **** piece of ****, and that politics isn't decided over whether it will **** over the north more done one way that if it was done another.

**** me people are so ****ing retarded. They'll be complaining nuclear bomb tests are done in uninhabited places next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)

Tell me. Are you one of those people who doesn't quite understand where the government gets it money from?
    clearly I think government money grows on trees behind 11 downing street whence it is collected by an invisible pixie, just like everyone who doesn't dwell in the cosy tsr tory echo chamber.

Are you by any chance a somewhat supercilious person?

ReputationRep:
    clearly I think government money grows on trees behind 11 downing street whence it is collected by an invisible pixie, just like everyone who doesn't dwell in the cosy tsr tory echo chamber.

Are you by any chance a somewhat supercilious person?

Obviously.

people keep going on about unemployement and a poor economy. As soon as somebody tries to address that, some lazy journalist tries to make a political statement out of it.

Get the fracking started. Do it in less densely populated areas. Use that time to develop the technology, then we'll be able to start exploiting the assets in the future in more densely populated areas. When we get to that stage we'll probably see that the NE is some what of an area of industrial expertise in fracking.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what "frack" means? I just thought it was a replacement word for ****, as used in Battlestar Galactica

ReputationRep:
    read what he said again.

Should we frack in areas with low population density (these are also known as rural areas or 'the countryside') to minimise impact on human settlements at the cost of impacting the rural environment, or should we frack in populated areas to preserve the countryside?
    His lordship seems to think we can frack some 3rd place - the desolate north, without it impacting anything or anyone. In his mental atlas it seems there's a blank area of the country and you simply don't have to worry about what you do there.

fwiw I'm in favour of fracking (carefully). I'm not in favour of kidding ourselves that going to be possible to do it without disrupting some people or degrading some countryside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)

He's hot :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Surely desolate is the wrong word, Northumberland is sparsely populated but it's a tourist hotspot precisely because there is lots of space to go walking and stuff, my knowledge of County Durham is limited and so I can't comment on there. Obviously, Tyne and Wear has cities in so that's not really where he was talking about. Teeside is also pretty busy, there's towns like Hartlepool and Stockton on Tees. There's also Middlesborough but I'm fairly sure half of it's residents would mind you frakking there if it meant they could re-build the city in a better image.

Having written all this I've decided I really don't know what Mr Osborne was on about with his desolate north east? He sounds the definition of out of touch. This sort of thing is why the North East is very Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Desolate is just a word to describe sparsely populated areas. I look out my window and as its two in the morning its desolate.

The north east is very labour. It's also one of the most under performing parts of the uk.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a northerner myself but I only find what he said slightly offensive at worst, mainly because I don't think what he said is as bad as the News is making out. I was watching the Lords on BBC Parliament and I'm sure he said fracking should only be done in derelict parts of the North East, not that the North East was a derelict place.

That's the interpretation I got as well so I'm not sure how and why some people are getting so worked up about it.

(Original post by Snagprophet)
    And yet, there'll be no complaining from when he says 'oh there's an uninhabited area in the south of England so frack that' which proves you're a ****ing dumb as **** piece of ****, and that politics isn't decided over whether it will **** over the north more done one way that if it was done another.

**** me people are so ****ing retarded. They'll be complaining nuclear bomb tests are done in uninhabited places next.
    Wow, someone needs to lay off the caffeine.

ReputationRep:

So he's basically said that there's less populated areas in the north of England. What he's stated is fact.

lets be honest. It's not like the north of England couldn't do with the jobs boost, economic boost and investment in infrastructure.

I think you need to read the post carefully: -

"I mean there obviously are, in beautiful natural areas, worries about not just the drilling and the fracking, which I think are exaggerated, but about the trucks, and the delivery, and the roads, and the disturbance, and those about justified worries."

He added: "But there are large and uninhabited and desolate areas, certainly in part of the North East".

The implication could be that rural areas in the north east are not beautiful, or of historic importance, but simply "desolate". If so, he needs to visit the North Pennines and Durham Dales, or Northumberland National Park and Hadrian's Wall Country (a UNESCO World Heritage site) among other places.

Yes, drilling in areas far from a centre of population will ensure disruption to people is minimised, but it still means drastically affecting what is beautiful, often historic, landscape.

Or it could be that what he sees as the "justified" concerns won't be an issue in certain parts of the North East which are far from population centres, which isn't the case in the south east. The concerns about affecting the beauty of the north east may remain, but he already said that he things these are exaggerated.

I'd be interested to know which "part" of the North East he is referring to. He does say part of the North East, rather than "most" or "all" of it and whether it is a poor choice of words on his part.

But few, if any, of the sites are in the "North East". They're well south of Durham or in Cumbria.

ReputationRep:
    On TSR, you are directly responsible for the actions and beliefs of your in-laws.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously.

people keep going on about unemployement and a poor economy. As soon as somebody tries to address that, some lazy journalist tries to make a political statement out of it.

Get the fracking started. Do it in less densely populated areas. Use that time to develop the technology, then we'll be able to start exploiting the assets in the future in more densely populated areas. When we get to that stage we'll probably see that the NE is some what of an area of industrial expertise in fracking.
    I'd agree with you except there are some genuine dangers in fracking that I'm not sure anybody wants at the cost of not having gas, e.g. earthquakes and contaminated water.

ReputationRep:
    This is a complete non-story. A member of the House of Lords chose his words poorly and then the papers / news media pounced on it and started to propagate a North vs. South argument... the fact remains that the North East is far less populated than the South East and so the human impact of fracking would be lower, the environmental impact should not be ignored but to my knowledge it has been exaggerated significantly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.