Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Maths Higher Paper 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of it. Better than Paper 1?!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought it was very easy - didnt have a problem with any questions - so weird for me lol

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for that question with the curve and the rectangle? I got 30cm2 but I'm really not sure if my method is right...

ReputationRep:
    the answer i got for the curve and rectangle was about 3 cm squared (cant remember exactly).

the full area of the reactangle was 50 cm squared, took the area of the triangle off and the area of the segment off to get it.

overall i think the paper was pretty easy, the only question i didnt get a definate answer for was the cyclic quadrilateral one, i made an answer up, but and not totally convinced :s

ReputationRep:
    i got 3cm^2 for the curvy area one 2
    did anyone else get 33cm for the height of the tower?

ReputationRep:
    i got 33.2 cm for the tower by using sine rule twice

ReputationRep:
    dp, sorry

ReputationRep:
    would 33cm be right as well though because of rounding differences?

ReputationRep:
    I managed to do every question pretty well except the cyclic quad which i just worked out angles and wrote them down in the hope i got marks and the question before about the perpendicular line which when explained to me afterwards is pretty easy. Overall though i think paper 1 was easier.

ReputationRep:
    probably, you've done all the hard work, at worst i'd say 5/6 and thats if the mark scheme is really mean.

what did people get for the graph one?

i think i had y = -2/3 x +3

and another thing, what did the eaqual sign thing wiht 3 lines mean? and did you just do that question by setting it out as you would to do completing the square?

ReputationRep:
    for the graph.. i got y = -2x + 3...

because the line AB was y = -2x - 2... .and teh line was parallel so you just had to change the last bit.. and it crossed at 3.. so that's right.. please tell me it is :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitar_chick)
    probably, you've done all the hard work, at worst i'd say 5/6 and thats if the mark scheme is really mean.

what did people get for the graph one?

i think i had y = -2/3 x =3

and another thing, what did the eaqual sign thing wiht 3 lines mean? and did you just do that question by setting it out as you would to do completing the square?
    three lines means the same as, so in that question the equation was the same as (x + a)2 + b

And it looks like I got the curve rectangle thing completely wrong, ah well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonsta)
    for the graph.. i got y = -2x + 3...

because the line AB was y = -2x - 2... .and teh line was parallel so you just had to change the last bit.. and it crossed at 3.. so that's right.. please tell me it is :|
    Sorry to tell you this but it said perpendicular not parallel. The right answer was y = -2/3x + c (I can't remember what c was)

ReputationRep:
    i think the grade boundries will be quite low for this paper, due to the fact that so many questions were 5/6 marks.

i am the only person i know of at my school to have even attempted the tower and pie chart questions, and i only heard of one other that tried the cuved rectangle one.

however, that doesnt mean much because there is a pass rate of 19% in maths at our school that only has 120 in the year, basically not even all the top set pass so....

ReputationRep:
    The tower one was in one of the past papers or something, or was it the text book? One of them. The answer I got was 33m. (not cm, guys, but doesn't matter they gave you the units).
    Paper was okay, much easier than Paper 1, but I find everything hard and so naturally I found this paper 2 hard too.
    Anyone get 800 and something for the piechart one? Some of my friends said they got something like 1375..and they're never wrong. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG99)
    The tower one was in one of the past papers or something, or was it the text book? One of them. The answer I got was 33m. (not cm, guys, but doesn't matter they gave you the units).
    Paper was okay, much easier than Paper 1, but I find everything hard and so naturally I found this paper 2 hard too.
    Anyone get 800 and something for the piechart one? Some of my friends said they got something like 1375..and they're never wrong. :-)
    I got the same as your friends, someone I know got 800 odd though so perhaps both are right :p:

ReputationRep:
    i aint to happy with it, but i need an A in it, i may have just done enough over both papers. but theres no point worrying about it now, it's done and thats the end of it. good luck guys

ReputationRep:
    I think I got 495 on the pie-chart 1 did anyone else?
    I used direct proportion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_stu_x)
    I used direct proportion
    I got some random answers for this paper. For this question I got something in the 1300's :P

Maths is not my best subject by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_stu_x)
    I used direct proportion
    I think i got that. I divided 660 by 120 (to find proportion of people to every 1 degree) which came out at 5.5. Multiplied 90 by 5.5 for the "Village B" which gave me that I thin.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.