Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the question with the trapezium - i got 1 lol but then it wouldnt work in the formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no1mohsin)
    I think i got that. I divided 660 by 120 (to find proportion of people to every 1 degree) which came out at 5.5. Multiplied 90 by 5.5 for the "Village B" which gave me that I thin.
    Thats what i got but i a friend worked out the area of the pie chart and radius and stuff. Apparently it said so in the question but i cant remember :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Jay$ Ran!*)
    Thats what i got but i a friend worked out the area of the pie chart and radius and stuff. Apparently it said so in the question but i cant remember :confused:
    Yeah my mate did that - i think he's right lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried now. This is because in this exam, the teacher said that if you want to write your working out somewhere else, do it on the back page and write a note on the question page.
    But they never told us this in paper one, and for paper 1 my working out (for the 5/6 mark questions) was circled, however there was only an arrow drawn from it.
    I also hear they do it electronically...so will the working and answer on those questions from paper 1 not be marked then?

ReputationRep:
    I found it a lot harder than the other one, but there still weren't any questions that I couldn't do. I always find the calculator papers harder though.
    (Original post by RTFQ)
    I got some random answers for this paper. For this question I got something in the 1300's :P

Maths is not my best subject by far.
    Well I'm aiming for 100% on both papers and I think I got something in the 1300s as well.
    I think I got 495 on the pie-chart 1 did anyone else?
    I used direct proportion
    I think that question was based upon the area of the pie chart (that's why it said "drawn to scale").
    because the line AB was y = -2x - 2... .and teh line was parallel so you just had to change the last bit.. and it crossed at 3.. so that's right.. please tell me it is :|
    If it was parallel (I think it was perpendicular) and went through the midpoint it would be exactly the same line.
    did anyone else get 33cm for the height of the tower?
    Wasn't it in meters?

I'd be interested to see how people worked this one out. Me and two people who I talked to use tan=opposite/adjacent while 2 other people used the sine rule (we all got the same answer).
    What did people get for that question with the curve and the rectangle? I got 30cm2 but I'm really not sure if my method is right...
    Way smaller than that. I think I got about 3cm^2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harr)
    I'd be interested to see how people worked this one out. Me and two people who I talked to use tan=opposite/adjacent while 2 other people used the sine rule (we all got the same answer).
    How can you do it using tan x=O/A? I used the sine rule and got the same as the rest of you.

(Original post by Harr)
    Way smaller than that. I think I got about 3cm^2.
    Yeah I realise what I did now, I used 60o instead of 30o :rolleyes:. I believe my method was right though so I should still get a few marks

ReputationRep:
    harr what did you get for the trapezium question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan141)
    How can you do it using tan x=O/A? I used the sine rule and got the same as the rest of you.
    I can't remember it exactly, but I used equations somethings along the lines of:
    tan48=(60+h)/x
    tan70=(60+h)/(x+50)
    The specific numbers could be wrong, but that was the general format. I then rearranged them to calculate x and then just put it into the equations and worked out h. I then put it into the other equation to make sure I got the same thing and then worked through it all again, but backwards to check (I had 40 minutes in which to sit and do nothing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harr)
    I can't remember it exactly, but I used equations somethings along the lines of:
    tan48=(60+h)/x
    tan70=(60+h)/(x+50)
    The specific numbers could be wrong, but that was the general format. I then rearranged them to calculate x and then just put it into the equations and worked out h. I then put it into the other equation to make sure I got the same thing and then worked through it all again, but backwards to check (I had 40 minutes in which to sit and do nothing).
    Ah an interesting method, I'd never thought of that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The trapezium one was 2.5, making it into a quadratic and using the formula. I knew exactly how to do the tower one but I stupidly did 180-70 = 130 Haha. So I used my answers using that, which came up with some very strange ones- particularly because I used sin2 in the sine rule heh. Do you reckon I could still get method marks? I hope so :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan141)
    Ah an interesting method, I'd never thought of that
    I don't really like the sine rule or the cosine rule (I don't tend to like anything which seems just like banging numbers into a formula) so I've always used them as a last resort and never got very familiar with them. I try and think of how to do it without using them and then use them if I can't think of an easy way to do it without using them.

ReputationRep:
    I am so stupid!! because I used sine instead of tan for the tower question!!! :confused: its not like me to overlook something like that lol. Anyway, I did everything harr did above, but I used sine instead of tan, and obviously came out with the wrong answer. However, does anyone know if I will get the method mark for that?

Oh yeah for the last question I got 1300 something as well! At least I got one 5 mark question right =(

ReputationRep:
    for the trapezium one i think the positive answer was 2.5, as... (2.5*3.5) + (2.5/2) = 10
    yeah youll get method marks...
    on the perpendicular equation, it did say perpendicular... not parallel y = -2/3x+3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    LOL RJB, you made me panic a little bit there.

I think that this paper was easier, but I've probably dropped more marks.

ReputationRep:
    yep it definitely said perpendicular! By the way.... I don't know why but I wrote the equation as: y = -1/1.5 x + 3 which still equates to -2/3 +3
    However because I use decimals, does it make it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizoFan)
    yep it definitely said perpendicular! By the way.... I don't know why but I wrote the equation as: y = -1/1.5 x + 3 which still equates to -2/3 +3
    However because I use decimals, does it make it wrong?
    I didn't do the higher paper, but -1/1.5 = -2/3 anyways, and seeing as it isn't a fractions question surely it wouldn't matter at all how simple the fractions are

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, the mst is that they won't give you the full marks

ReputationRep:
    Ok for all your dumb asses confusing everyone here are the facts:

Stem and Lead = 9

The question on the Curve and the Triangle area worked out as "2.1cm^2".

The Graph question with the perpendicular was worked out by findin g teh GRADIENT (YSTEP/ XSTEP) then using the fact it was at right angles hence:

-2/3 gradient = + 3/2 Then you could work out the mid point (3,1)

and sub in y-yo = m(x-xo) and 2y=3x-3 ( something like this).

The answer to the Trapezium question was actually x=2.5.

The H with the tower was 33.2.... to whatever degree of acuracy.

The (x-a)^2+b = x^2-2ax+a^2+b expansion and then match coefficients to find the answer to be something like a = 4 and b = -21.

x = 0.85 or -8.58

The population one was 1375 older than 65.

Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

PM for any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    the answer to the trapezium Q was actually 2.5

ReputationRep:
    what can the grade boundries be expected to be do u think? for an a or a*??

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.