trapezium qu, x=2.5
    tower height = 33.2m
    pie chart qu =1375
    stem-and-leaf page 1 = 9
    jack and jill, jill is correct
    gradient q, y=3-2/3x
    the completing the square qu, a=4, b=-21, solutions 0.58, -8.58

ReputationRep:
    yeah we know it says perpendicular, i said that about an hour ago..
    the population one was about 1375, yeah
    the tower came to 33.15 .. i dont know about you but that looks like it rounds up to 33.2
    trapezium question was 2.5 although in the paper i got it wrong due to stupidity

what did anyone get for the penultimate questions about wattage and bulbs? was the resistance like 3.3 something?

ReputationRep:
    Look yeah i did the exam 6-7 hours ago, i probs put the right answer in the exam but dont gimme greive. I'm trying to get 2 years of torture out of my system.

I worked out the minimum resistance to 3. something.

I would expect grade boudaries to be like >70=A*, 50=A,

ReputationRep:
    lol good

my grade boundary prediction...only A*s and As...
    coursework about 42 - 37
    non calc 70 - ≤50<55
    calc 75-80 - 58

ReputationRep:
    couldxbe i also did 180-70=130 lol but luckily i realised with about 5 mins to go why the answer wasnt lookin right and changed all my workin out i was so happy lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJB)
    lol good

my grade boundary prediction...only A*s and As...
    coursework about 42 - 37
    non calc 70 - ≤50<55
    calc 75-80 - 58
    I'd pretty much go with those, although Paper 2s may be more like 73-77; 56. Anyway, never mind the nitty gritty, we'll find out in 10 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    mmm quite a good paper for me, better than paper 1, Think the grade boundary will be around 75 for an A* on paper 2 and around 70 on paper 1.
    Ah well, maths out of my life forever. Well sort of, doing physics at A-level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey)
    hi what answer did people get for the stem and leaf, its really bugging me. i got 9 and wat about , factorise fully, (3x+4)^2 - (2x+1)^2. plz help

this paper was ok much better than the non calculator, init
    For stem+leaf, i got 270(total lates)/30(total pupils) = 9

For the factorise question, i got 5(x+3)(x+1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    For stem+leaf, i got 270(total lates)/30(total pupils) = 9

For the factorise question, i got 5(x+3)(x+1)
    hi, for the factorise question I got: (5x+5)(x+3) .... is this not 'factorised fully' or is it 5(x+3)(x+1)? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeah stem and leaf 270/30 = 9

damn it i didnt factorise down from
    5 (x^2 +4x -3 )
    il get minus one mark for that?

ReputationRep:
    its alright! Yeah, I agree the circle in a rectangle question was really difficult! When I finished the whole paper I had about 30 minutes to go through it, but I still couldn't see how part (a) related to part (b) of the question. Yeah I got 60 degress and 8 point something for part (a). Could someone be kind enough to explain the circle question pleease? Its reaaally buggin me! cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_stu_x)
    harr what did you get for the trapezium question?
    I've got to agree with everyone else on that one. I got a quadratic that gave -4 and 2.something (I'm assuming it was 2.5 as everyone is saying that) and the negative answer makes no sense for a real shape so x=2.5.
    hi, for the factorise question I got: (5x+5)(x+3) .... is this not 'factorised fully' or is it 5(x+3)(x+1)?
    (5x+5)=5(x+1)
    (5x+5)(x+3) = 5(x+1)(x+3)
    so (5x+5)(x+3) is not fully factorised.

It is always easier to factorise if you take out the common factor first though:
    5x^2+20x+15 = 5(x^2+4x+3) = 5(x+1)(x+3)
    Yeah, I agree the circle in a rectangle question was really difficult! When I finished the whole paper I had about 30 minutes to go through it, but I still couldn't see how part (a) related to part (b) of the question.
    If I remember correctly the non-shaded area of the rectanle was made up of two parts. The triangle from part (a) and a sector of angle 30 degrees and radius 10. You could calculate the sum of the areas of the triangle and the sector and subtract the answer from the total area of the rectangle to give you the area of the shaded section. (Sorry if someone's already explained it, I can't remember and I don't want to look back through the whole topic to check.)

ReputationRep:
    Well...i thought the paper was alrite but half way through the paper i thought my calculator had broken because when i type in -8.58^2 it came up with a negative number and i panicked :eek: and so I lost focus ... every question i thought omg my calculator is broken but when i came out my friend said all calculators do that :confused: ....do they??

N e way panicking in an exam for no reason over the only reliable thing in the exam (my skills are not reliable lol) is not the best thing to do in the exam...

Having said all that it wasn't as hard as paper 1

ReputationRep:
    Do you all mean the AQA Linear (A) specification. I do AQA Modular and I thought that Paper 2 (Higher) was sooo much easier than Paper 1.

What did anyone else think?

The only questions that I couldn't do were the angle value with reason and thne one with the two triangles where you had to find the value of h.

I got +/- 4.1 for the last question. Did anyone else?

Cathy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meep...exams :S)
    Well...i thought the paper was alrite but half way through the paper i thought my calculator had broken because when i type in -8.58^2 it came up with a negative number and i panicked :eek: and so I lost focus ... every question i thought omg my calculator is broken but when i came out my friend said all calculators do that :confused: ....do they??
    It is convention to do brackets first, then indices, then division and multiplication, then addition and subtraction. So -8.58^2 is the same as -(8.58^2) because it does the number you give to the power of two, then subtracts it, which should give a negative answer (for some reason that is displating some f(x) stuff for me, if it is also doing that for you just hold your mouse over it to see what it should say). You needed to enter (-8.58)^2 if you wanted a positive answer. You may also want to note that (-8.58)^2 = 8.58^2, so there is no need for the minus sign at all. It's just unfortunate you didn't find this out before the exam.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.