The Student Room Group

Economics heavy on Maths?

Hello Folks,

Im considering teaching myself economics in my spare time and I was wondering whether people would say it was difficult in terms of Maths being involved?

I studied maths up to GCSE and had always disliked it - its never been my strong point (algebra I detested) but I was fine for the most part with addition, subtractions etc - its just beyond that I found it annoying.

Im wondering how heavy A level economics is with the Maths?

What are peoples views?
Original post by Mephestic
Hello Folks,

Im considering teaching myself economics in my spare time and I was wondering whether people would say it was difficult in terms of Maths being involved?

I studied maths up to GCSE and had always disliked it - its never been my strong point (algebra I detested) but I was fine for the most part with addition, subtractions etc - its just beyond that I found it annoying.

What are peoples views?

From what I've heard, not a great deal at A level. Naturally, an aptitude for Maths and studying it at A level would undoubtedly help for the quantitative areas of the syllabus, but I think you should be perfectly fine. In fact, I've spoken to various people who regard it as more of an essay-type subject.

There will be more qualified people on this, but I hope that helped a little.
Reply 2
Original post by Endless Blue
From what I've heard, not a great deal at A level. Naturally, an aptitude for Maths and studying it at A level would undoubtedly help for the quantitative areas of the syllabus, but I think you should be perfectly fine. In fact, I've spoken to various people who regard it as more of an essay-type subject.

There will be more qualified people on this, but I hope that helped a little.

Thanks blue- appreciate your perspective.

Others please feel free to give me your opinions too!
Reply 3
Hello Folks,

What are peoples views?

Most of the marks you are awarded comes through writing. The maths content is simply applying a couple of equations + knowing essentially 2 graphs. The calculator work is simply plugging numbers into those equations you will learn. (This is for AS Level).
(edited 10 years ago)
I can only speak for the AQA Economics A Level syllabus, but I had a weak A at GCSE maths and found Economics with NO A-Level maths content what so ever.

At AS you may have a few multiple choice questions that require you to do BASIC Year 9 multiplication and at A2 you may work with a few percentages, but apart from that there is none what so ever to worry about.
Hello Folks,

What are peoples views?

I did Economics A2 on the Edexcel exam board. The only maths I ever encounted was percentage changes, addition and subtraction. So in summary-not much at all.
Having just completed A level economics, I can tell you the maths content is extremely minimal. Percentage changes are just about the only thing I recall - it is very much an essay based subject at A level. Confusingly, this changes drastically at uni, especially if you want to study a Bsc in Economics, but A level economics personally I don't think is at all maths heavy.
I study a level maths and am fairly good at it but even so economics is all writing.
Hardly any maths in the Economics A level course I'm doing.

It's why A level maths is generally more important than A level economics for an economics university degree, which is much more maths orientated.

Though it can be difficult to gather if you're only doing it in your spare time.

Try doing the multiple choice sections in the holidays to see if you like it
Reply 8
Hello Folks,

What are peoples views?

Hi there, I've just completed AS Economics with AQA and there is only a very small amount of maths involved.

Things like elasticity are very simple equations that don't take long to get the hang of. Hope I could help :smile:
Reply 9
What about econometrics? Is it math heavy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by reyjusuf
What about econometrics? Is it math heavy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm yes, but lol at any exam board stupid enough to put that in their A-level sylabus. That's a year two topic in most economics degrees.
Reply 11
For AQA, when you get to A2, it may mention in some text books that the marginal revenue curve is the differential of the average revenue curve but it's something you really do not need to know at A2.

You have to be confident with your basic adding and subtracting as you might get a question which involves you doing a calculation like -30+-30=? and yes, this does confuse people, even when they have calculators.

Elasticity is very simple, but maths based. Essentially, you remember a few formulas and that's that.
Not until you go to university and study econometrics.
At A-level even a GCSE student could cope with the maths in economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest