Are you for or against fox hunting?

Watch this thread
Poll: Pro or anti fox hunting?
I live in a rural area - FOR (21)
9.42%
I live in a rural area - AGAINST (36)
16.14%
I live in a suburban-rural area - FOR (9)
4.04%
I live in a suburban-rural area - AGAINST (19)
8.52%
I live in a suburban area - FOR (3)
1.35%
I live in a suburban area - AGAINST (36)
16.14%
I live in a suburban-urban area FOR (2)
0.9%
I live in a suburban-urban area AGAINST (17)
7.62%
I live in an urban area - FOR (12)
5.38%
I live in an urban area - AGAINST (32)
14.35%
I live in coastal area - FOR (2)
0.9%
I live in a coastal area - AGAINST (6)
2.69%
I live in a rural area - INDIFFERENT (10)
4.48%
I live in an urban area - INDIFFERENT (4)
1.79%
I live in a suburban area - INDIFFERENT (11)
4.93%
I live in a coastal area - INDIFFERENT (3)
1.35%
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Don't bite my head off if there has been a thread on this already, I can't find one

To make a change from the numerous threads on sexism and feminism I want to see how many people are in favour or against fox hunting.

According to Wikipedia, fox hunting is,
Fox hunting is an activity involving the tracking, chase, and sometimes killing of a fox, traditionally a red fox, by trained foxhounds or other scent hounds, and a group of unarmed followers led by a master of foxhounds, who follow the hounds on foot or on horseback
Most people who partake in fox hunting describe it as 'tradition' or 'a good sport', or justify it as the foxes are 'vermin'. I personally find it cruel as even if foxes have been pests towards your life-stock, if you catch them why not kill them humanely, instead of chasing it with hounds and tearing it from limb to limb?

It might depend on how highly you regard animals and whether they have feelings too. I'm not suggesting that foxes don't do unpleasant things, but it's rich that people who label foxes vermin and being far worse. Tormenting an animal against its will just because it's fun or gives hounds exercise can't be defended.

Can anybody put any convincing arguments in favour forward?

Even though I'm clearly against it, I don't think it should have been banned because it continues regardless, however it doesn't make it right in a moral sense.
Thetino
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
A cruel sport for rich poncy people who feel they need yet another thing to make them feel superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am against it because I think it is horribly cruel and brings unnecessary stress to the foxes, vermin or not. If they want to cull foxes for being vermin then there are much more humane ways of doing so.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
Poll added!
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thetino)
A cruel sport for rich poncy people who feel they need yet another thing to make them feel superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretty much this and im a country boy from Ireland where have different mindsets to the UK,

im against hunting on horses but im also aware of the damage do the livestock and domestic animals so hunting by shooting im in favour of as the kill is a lot quicker than the creature being chased for hours
Plainview
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm for choice. But it's not top of my worry list.
SophF_rth
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I do hate the bloody foxes who scream outside my window every night. However, I guess it is a bit mean to hunt them for that so I'd be against the idea of it.

Anyway, don't think it should be banned as I doubt they'd be that much difference?
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
pretty much this and im a country boy from Ireland where have different mindsets to the UK,

im against hunting on horses but im also aware of the damage do the livestock and domestic animals so hunting by shooting im in favour of as the kill is a lot quicker than the creature being chased for hours
Can completely understand that, it may not be the nicest thing but if it's effecting livestock numbers and causing damage then I can understand why you'd want to cull the foxes. Though I definitely agree if that is the case it should be through shooting (or some other quick method i'm not aware of), not horseback hunting.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm against all hunting unless it's for food that humans will consume. If you're not going to eat the animal, then don't hunt.
xDave-
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's taking me more time to figure out where I live in regards to that poll than where I stand on this :unsure:

As has been said, I can appreciate why lots of foxes is a problem in some areas, but I still don't like the idea of killing them. It could be done far more "humanely" than it is currently, though.
yepyepyep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
****ing hate it. Repulsive sport.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
(Original post by Plainview)
I'm for choice. But it's not top of my worry list.
I agree with choice as well when there is consent or an action doesn't harm another person, in this case a living creature, but unfortunately in my eyes, fox hunting doesn't do either of those things.
Orthrus
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey OP, i think you've labelled both coastal areas as 'For' - but i really like foxes :lol:
JustJim
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'd only be for it if there was a clear link between death of livestock and foxes in the area, but it shouldn't be turned into a game that leads to a violent death. Simply shooting the fox would suffice, or finding their den and destroying all the foxes inside it. (I know that last part sounds cruel, and I don't like it, but if it's decided that the fox population is to be culled I'd rather an entire den complete with cubs be destroyed rather than shooting adults at random and leaving cubs to starve.)
aldridge99
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If people are going to hunt it should be to survive, not for a game, if your going to kill something you should dam well make use of the animal you are killing, ie eating the meat , using the fur for clothing. Not just killing it for fun and feeding it to your dog.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
(Original post by Orthrus)
Hey OP, i think you've labelled both coastal areas as 'For' - but i really like foxes :lol:
Oh **** :facepalm2: I can be so careless :laugh:

Anyone who lives in a coastal area, first option is for and second option is against.

Yeah I do as well, they're sweet.
Hyde
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Against. Only humans are stupid and pathetic enough to hunt and kill a sentient animal for no reason other than their pompous traditions and their disgusting desire to feel superior
Orthrus
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I love the fact that i can walk around in my city and just see foxes running about at night For that reason, and the more obvious objection against killing for pure sport, i cannot possibly imagine being for fox hunting. For a 'pest', they've had no adverse effects on anyone i know.
majaohalo
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Against. Pointless and cruel activity. I like foxes, I think they're rather pretty.
ForgetMe
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If foxes are being hunted just because for fun then I'm very against that. But if there was a need to hunt them, then I would support (cases where there are too many foxes and they might cause danger for people, e.g. foxes targeting farms).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.42%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.84%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.61%
Sign language (8)
12.9%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.61%

Watched Threads