The Student Room Group

Are you for or against fox hunting?

Scroll to see replies

Against. They are animals, they are wild animals. I love foxes, one of my favourite animals (not just because I support Leicester :wink:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
FOR fox hunting...in areas where lots of people live. Against in rural areas.

Why For? A fox ate my pet Polish frizzle hen (see spoiler) called Fluffy (I called her 'Fluffy the Vampire slayer'). We don't even live in a rural area...The flamin' sod bit her head off...Rest in peace Fluffy...:cry2:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Thanks, I did take into account the different opinions from rural and urban communities. Funny how quite a few people in rural areas are against it too?

I don't have anything against the countryside or protecting your lifestock, but I agree with the comment below. There is nothing "left wing" about considering it cruel to chase a fox with hounds, with encouragement from the hunters.

If it's out of defense, could you not just shoot it?

This.

^^ what?

I have just explained this - that just because you 'live in the countryside' does not mean you have any association what so ever with agriculture, especially people who are under 30 - who let's be honest think they know everything but have a lot to learn.

Being anti hunting is VERY LEFT WING. You would find very few labour supporters who are FOR fox hunting - but few Conservatives who are against it. That is because the Conservative party have a much bigger connection with the countryside than Labour. Farmers generally vote Conservative - they are known to be the best representatives of the rural agricultural community.

I'm not going to argue what's cruel and not about it. However, it is obviously a lot more effective to let a pack of hounds track down a fox than trying to find it on foot yourself. It is also nature for dogs to hunt - and arguably a lot more normal for the fox than to have a human yank it out of its den, hold it down, and then blow it to pieces with a shotgun.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by ash92:)

Why For? A fox ate my pet Polish frizzle hen called Fluffy. We don't even live in a rural area...The flamin' sod bit her head off...Rest in peace Fluffy...:frown:

Spoiler

ahah great example! Foxes will kill everything - but not for food - they don't eat it. Just for fun. They'll steal and kill a whole flock of chickens and won't even manage to eat a whole one!

Fox hunting always seems like a relatively trivial issue compared to things such as wars - people dying etc etc! but yet it is always one of the most talked about debates.

When David Cameron first came into power, despite there being so many issues, fox hunting was one of the main topics talked about: "Was he going to repeal the act". I think people are so passionate about it because they either read up on the presented the facts and think "awww poor little foxes - aren't they cute, how cruel, how can we let this happen" - and other people can't believe how IGNORANT and removed from the countryside the anti's are and believe they should just mind their own business.

Hunting will never die out. Can you name another activity where 300,000 people congregate every Boxing day to support? Hunting is still going as strong as ever - and it is still a MASSIVE PART of rural communities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by arty
ahah great example! Foxes will kill everything - but not for food - they don't eat it. Just for fun. They'll steal and kill a whole flock of chickens and won't even manage to eat a whole one!

He bit her head off...my dad put what was left (the headless body) into a bag to remove it...:cry2:
Reply 85

Why For? A fox ate my pet Polish frizzle hen called Fluffy. The flamin' sod bit her head off...Rest in peace Fluffy...:frown:

Spoiler

There was once a beautiful fox in my area called Charles.

He was beautiful, and so gentle, he'd even let the village children ride on his back.

Charles as a cub.

This is what happened to Charles :frown:

Spoiler

Okay, that story was a lie, but you get my drift. I know, it must have been devastating to see your beautiful hen killed, but that's nature. The fox needed to eat to survive.
Reply 86
Original post by arty
don't you mean you are a city boy?

How much association with the countryside have you actually got!?

I'm still confused by this.

Original post by arty

​BS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
I am For.

I don't see why I should respect an animal that will massacre a farm in a night for fun (they don't kill for food). My Mum's farm would regularly have many farm animals killed for only the bodies to be left practically untouched.

And the hypocrisy of some of the people Against is really mind blowing. How can you possibly say you are For animal (therefore human) rights and then attempt to kick, punch and pull riders off their horses during a hunt?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88

Why For? A fox ate my pet Polish frizzle hen (see spoiler) called Fluffy (I called her 'Fluffy the Vampire slayer'). We don't even live in a rural area...The flamin' sod bit her head off...Rest in peace Fluffy...:cry2:

Spoiler

Because who really gives a **** about the murdered farm animals? Right?
Reply 89
Original post by AttackofTheBoris
It's not just rich people who label foxes as vermin. Anyone who lives in the country and has kept geese or ducks or any animals as pets or livestock would call them vermin because they've woken up one day to find that one of their ducks or maybe a new born lamb has been killed and taken. Most of the time foxes break into a chicken hutch, kill all the chickens and take only 1 or 2 because it's in their nature to kill all of them. Why should they be allowed to slaughter innocent poultry and we aren't allowed to occasionally take vengeance for our feathered friends? You could argue that it's natural for them to kill the chickens, but is it not natural for humans to hunt and to defend our livestock? Humans have hunted animals for millennia and it only makes sense to keep the food chain as it has always been. People complain about cruelty to animals, yet they don't realise the cruelty committed by animals, on other animals. It is our duty as humans to stop this animal cruelty!!!

Take vengeance on your feathered friends? Then I certainly hope you don't eat chickens that aren't farmed free range. I'm sure a chicken would much rather live a short life and be killed by a fox than live a life they do in the battery farms.
Reply 90
Original post by -aTOMic-

Do you really care about that?
Reply 91
Original post by pandabird
I'm still confused by this.

​BS.

ahaha like you would know. You are blatantly one of those people who think they know everything about the countryside because they live in a rural spot with a very small plot of land - citing your parents views.

Try actually being a part of an agricultural community before you think you know everything. Spouting your mouth about something you clearly know zilch about.
Reply 92

Lol no. Because we can't just eradicate them completely, but we can confine them, and remove them from areas that are more populated by us. If I lived on a farm, I wouldn't be as surprised that Fluffy got her head bitten off by a fox. But here, it was totally uncalled for :mad:
And I saw the fox trying to attack a cat. If it does that, how do I know my sisters kids are safe when they come over and play outside (at the back of the house)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by arty
^^ what?

I have just explained this - that just because you 'live in the countryside' does not mean you have any association what so ever with agriculture, especially people who are under 30 - who let's be honest think they know everything but have a lot to learn.

Being anti hunting is VERY LEFT WING. You would find very few labour supporters who are FOR fox hunting - but few Conservatives who are against it. That is because the Conservative party have a much bigger connection with the countryside than Labour. Farmers generally vote Conservative - they are known to be the best representatives the rural agricultural community.

I'm not going to argue what's cruel and not about it. However, it is obviously a lot more effective to let a pack of hounds track down a fox than trying to find it on foot yourself. It is also nature for dogs to hunt - and arguably a lot more normal for the fox than to have a human yank it out of its den, hold it down, and then blow it to pieces with a shotgun.

Your point about political parties proves nothing and it doesn't explain why it's more left wing to care about the individual rights of an animal. Aggression is always wrong in my opinion, no matter who or what it's directed at, if it's uncalled for, as whatever happened to treating something as you want to be treated? :rolleyes: They didn't choose to be foxes and I believe they have feelings, even if it's different to how we feel pain. It doesn't make it right.

My biggest problem with fox hunting isn't so much it's natural for the hounds to hunt, but that it's viewed as enjoyment and sport by the hunters (i.e. people) organising the hunts.

As I said I understand killing a fox (shooting) if it's for defence if you catch it, but sporting purposes can't be justified.
Reply 94
How can you possibly say you are For animal (therefore human) rights and then attempt to kick, punch and pull riders off their horses during a hunt?

I would never do that.

It doesn't stop me from disapproving of those actions to both the fox and the riders.
Reply 95
Do you really care about that?

Who gives a flying **** about the farm animals that you'll demand products off? Right? **** them.

But, hell, that poor little fox over there whose probably killed more farm animals than the average serial killer deserves to carry on with his life; stealing the lives of farm animals and our produce.
Reply 96
Original post by arty
ahaha like you would know. You are blatantly one of those people who think they know everything about the countryside because they live in a rural spot with a very small plot of land - citing your parents views.

Try actually being a part of an agricultural community before you think you know everything. Spouting your mouth about something you clearly know zilch about.

Where did you get that from? My Dad is for hunting, and goes shooting himself, so no I don't 'cite' my parents views. But it sounds like you obviously do, judging by the 'try living in an agricultural community'. Why do you have to be a farmers boy to know and care about fox hunting?
I take a lot of interest in our British wildlife and habitat (which you obviously don't given your previous comment about the fox), and have a lot of appreciation for our nature, so I consider it from that side.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
There was once a beautiful fox in my area called Charles.

Spoiler

Okay, that story was a lie, but you get my drift. I know, it must have been devastating to see your beautiful hen killed, but that's nature. The fox needed to eat to survive.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAA you've made me laugh a lot!!

If you think this is true then you really are a lot more ignorant and uneducated about these matters than I thought. What a towny. HAHHH

The whole problem with foxes is that they will kill as much as they can get their hands on NOT TO EAT, JUST FOR FUN. IT IS INSTINCT They will kill everything and eat maybe a bit of one. Once they know where their prey is - they will keep coming back again and again - eventually wiping out your entire flock. They are very sly and clever and it is v.hard to make anything entirely foxproof when they know where the prey is. They are not cute, they are VERMIN.

You would know this if you had ever been involved with the countryside or owned any of your own livestock. Now shut up and go and get involved with something you actually know what you're talking about.
Reply 98
Who gives a flying **** about the farm animals that you'll demand products off? Right? **** them.

But, hell, that poor little fox over there whose probably killed more farm animals than the average serial killer deserves to carry on with his life; stealing the lives of farm animals and our produce.

So you care? Can I ask, do you eat meat?
Reply 99

It's in its nature and an instinct, it doesn't know any better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending