The Student Room Group

A Level Options - Help :3

Hey i'm thinking of college options & with a clear idea of what job i want - Finance > Banking > Investment Banking , I want to know what would be the best options for me.

I am picking 4 options,
Maths - This is definitely one of them.
Further Maths - This is another definite one I am choosing.
Economics - Once again, a definite one.

Fourth option - I don't know.
Business - I'm 90% sure I want to go with this, but if i don't, will it matter I mean do I really need Business for where i'm going?

Psychology? I've always been fascinated by the human mind and would want to learn more but this wouldn't help with my future.

Government & Politics - Is there a point of me choosing this? I've considered it but I don't know.

Italian - Yesterday & today i've been thinking about a language. Italian is the only one I could go for in the college I'm heading. But i've never learnt another language properly before. We learnt German in the first few years in High school but I never chose it as an option because I didn't think it was worth it. Anyway i've heard you can go far with a language - Should i choose it? Will it be hard? I know no Italian so will start from the beginning (You don't need to have previous knowlege to choose Italian int the college im going) - I just don't know

Please help with my Business situation & my fourth option situation.

Thanks,

(Sorry for the mess up, I made a mistake)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Red John
Hey i'm thinking of college options & with a clear idea of what job i want - Finance > Banking > Investment Banking , I want to know what would be the best options for me.

I am picking 4 options,
Maths - This is definitely one of them.
Economics - Once again, a definite one.
Business - I'm 90% sure I want to go with this, but if i don't, will it matter I mean do I really need Business for where i'm going?

Fourth option - I don't know.
Psychology? I've always been fascinated by the human mind and would want to learn more but this wouldn't help with my future.

Government & Politics - Is there a point of me choosing this? I've considered it but I don't know.

Italian - Yesterday & today i've been thinking about a language. Italian is the only one I could go for in the college I'm heading. But i've never learnt another language properly before. We learnt German in the first few years in High school but I never chose it as an option because I didn't think it was worth it. Anyway i've heard you can go far with a language - Should i choose it? Will it be hard? I know no Italian so will start from the beginning (You don't need to have previous knowlege to choose Italian int the college im going) - I just don't know

Please help with my Business situation & my fourth option situation.

Thanks,

Further maths would look good if you can do that!
Reply 2
aha i like your account name and picture :biggrin: red john is one of my favorite villains

also you should check the university courses you're interested in and see what kind of subjects they're looking for.
Reply 3
What kind of uni do you want to apply for? If you're looking at a Russell group then I would avoid business studies it's not really wanted by unis and I think Cambridge said something about wanting it to be scraped at alevel? I would also strongly discourage psychology as it I wouldn't particularly e desired by unis. A language would be good though however it would be alot of hard work, further maths along with maths would be a good idea also and then economics although I'm not quite sure what unis think about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mediocrecat
What kind of uni do you want to apply for? If you're looking at a Russell group then I would avoid business studies it's not really wanted by unis and I think Cambridge said something about wanting it to be scraped at alevel? I would also strongly discourage psychology as it I wouldn't particularly e desired by unis. A language would be good though however it would be alot of hard work, further maths along with maths would be a good idea also and then economics although I'm not quite sure what unis think about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to go to Imperial college or LSE.
Do you not think I should choose Business; I mean I do plan to go into banking..

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd be better off doing something like Psychology or Politics than a language A-level from scratch - it may make you appear as a more well-rounded student by doing an essay based subject. A language A-level is very challenging and time consuming even with prior knowledge through GCSE and the time you will have to dedicate to Italian could make your important Maths/Economics grades suffer. In the long run you would be a lot better off self-teaching as a hobby (an extra curricular you can mention in your personal statement!) as languages are beneficial. Definitely go for Business if your preferred Uni doesn't hate it and, if Further Maths isn't available, do an essay based subject. Many students choose their fourth subject more for personal interest than for their future career :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Shiori_Azuma
You'd be better off doing something like Psychology or Politics than a language A-level from scratch - it may make you appear as a more well-rounded student by doing an essay based subject. A language A-level is very challenging and time consuming even with prior knowledge through GCSE and the time you will have to dedicate to Italian could make your important Maths/Economics grades suffer. In the long run you would be a lot better off self-teaching as a hobby (an extra curricular you can mention in your personal statement!) as languages are beneficial. Definitely go for Business and, if Further Maths isn't available, do Psychology. Many students choose their fourth subject more for personal interest than for their future career :smile:.

I strongly disagree.

Economics and Business together isn't recommended at all due to overlap.

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Economics
Italian/Politics is the best combination in my opinion...

Italian may be a challenge, but LSE/UCL like the contrast (one of them definitely do)
Reply 7
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I strongly disagree.

Economics and Business together isn't recommended at all due to overlap.

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Economics
Italian/Politics is the best combination in my opinion...

Italian may be a challenge, but LSE/UCL like the contrast (one of them definitely do)

Wait I don't think I explained it correctly. You do mathematics the first year and as for the second year for college, you can stop out of mathematics or carry on and do further mathematics in the second year (other options in the second year apart from further maths are maths with statistics & maths with physics & maths with engineering I think) (so for the second year if I choose not to drop out I can carry on with maths and choose further maths or maths with statistics/physics/engineering)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait I don't think I explained it correctly. You do mathematics the first year and as for the second year for college, you can stop out of mathematics or carry on and do further mathematics in the second year (other options in the second year apart from further maths are maths with statistics & maths with physics & maths with engineering I think) (so for the second year if I choose not to drop out I can carry on with maths and choose further maths or maths with statistics/physics/engineering)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you get another option?
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
So you get another option?

Yes..
Don't do business and economics, they're too similar. Universities don't like the combination.
Reply 11
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Don't do business and economics, they're too similar. Universities don't like the combination.

Is Business necessary when wanting to get a job as an Investment Banker? I mean it will be based around business though
Yes..

Don't need the attitude...

Well do all 5 then.
Business isn't really a necessary A Level for what you want to do. Not only is considered a 'soft' subject, but it has huge amounts of overlap with Economics and some RG universities don't like this combination.

Further Maths would be good too, because these courses are hugely competitive.

As for Italian or Politics, I think Politics would be more useful. How likely are you to work in Italy? A language is always a good thing to have, particularly in the business world, but you'd be better off taking some language modules at university. A lot of universities offer them and you might be able to learn a language that you'd find more useful in your career. Politics is an essay-based subject and also works nicely alongside Economics, and it's become a more respected subject in recent years.

Quick Reply

Latest