Travelling? Alone? At 16? Watch

wave_o_mutilation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
yeah... how about money? i was thinking i could get by for a couple of weeks on about £400... but thats probably not enough. is it?

ohhhh and were are the best places to visit in france?
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wave_o_mutilation)
thats true. in worst case scenario, if nobody let me hitchhike on the ferry, would i be able to easily buy a ticket?
I'm surprised...a single ticket on foot with P+O Ferries from Dover to Calais for 3PM this afternoon (ie a late booking) is only £18. Would save you the hassle of trying to get a ride.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
and dover dunkerque with norfolk line is only £15
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
that isnt bad at all.. . im starting to realise thta i'll have to think a bit about this before i do it... i planned on just catching a ferry/plane and seeing what happened....
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Theres actually a website where you can chat to people the same age as you going to the same places. I can't remember what it is, but I'm sure google could find it.
tomraffe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That would be useful.

Interrailing isnt always the best option, it can get quite expensive. If I went everywhere on my trip on the train I would spend half my time travelling. Only 3 journeys will be made by train, one by ferry, and 3 plane journeys. The total cost is £230 which is about what an interrail ticket would have been. I can get everywhere faster that way, and the interrail isnt quite a free as it makes out, for example in some countries you are limited to what trains you can catch. But perhaps if you are only in one country then you have to buy one zone which is cheaper. But still look at where you want to go and compare the cost of interrail with flights. www.skyeurope.com is great. Search for the french train operators website or use www.raileurope.com which is actually a US site. Their sister company in the UK offers the same service at www.raileurope.co.uk but the trip planner never works!

Personally I made a list on when I want to go, where, and how long I wanted to spend in each place. I then drew up a nice Excel spreadsheet which detailed all of the above and included travel and accomidation costs. Get a quote for each night at www.hostels.com or www.hostelworld.com or www.hostelbookers.com as well as travel costs and you should be able to get a good idea of the overall cost. Book your first weeks worth of accomidation in advance, the decent hostels do get booked up early, it depends if you want to sacrifice a good hostel for flexability or not.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The French rail site is www.voyages-sncf.com, and I think is all in French (I only ever use it in French).

EDIT: is available in English (click the flag on the bottom left of the homepage). It's less functional in English and alot of the cheap ticket options are left off.
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
so, apart from the obvious places, where would you recomend going in france?

i think i might get an interail pass for the french zone and go to amsterdamm on the way back
lapsaJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Man, I wasnt gna do anything over summer but you've just made me wanna go travelling (Im 16 too). May go to France...will ask around
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dont know if this will help:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=208630

Obviously you'd just use it one-way thought (its only 5 days return)
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
how much d'you think it would cost overall for,say, 2 weeks?

i think ill work till about 3 weeks before results day.......
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
that thing doesnt realy seem worth it, one guy replies saying that it ends up being the same price....
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aah right ok, just got in a newsletter from that site.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wave_o_mutilation)
so, apart from the obvious places, where would you recomend going in france?

i think i might get an interail pass for the french zone and go to amsterdamm on the way back
The Basque country (Bayonne and Biarritz) are ace, and you can hop across the Spanish border to very pretty San Sebastian too.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomraffe)
Punch them in the face, that would shut them up.

I'm 17 (3 weeks off 18 when I travel) and am doing Rome, Florence, Split, Pargue and Berlin over 19 days in July on my own.
A word of advice: Put a padlock on your bag.
tomraffe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"word of warning - in America they call them fanny packs, which means your bottom...not your minge"

Travel Advice from Keith - The Office
wave_o_mutilation
Rep:
?
lol
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (210)
78.07%
No (59)
21.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed