The Student Room Group

HYMS A100 Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by askingamy
Kust need a bit of advice, i have 2800 average in my UKCAT however my VR score is 470, do you think theres a chance they'll raise the 450 cut off because i'm told they can raise these at any time.

They may, nothing is for sure.
I have the a good ukcat score which would give me an automatic interview but im guessing there'll be a much higher number of applicants than previous years because of the automatic interview thing. and with 130places or whatever, it'll be very competitive this year right?
Original post by tamil4
I have the a good ukcat score which would give me an automatic interview but im guessing there'll be a much higher number of applicants than previous years because of the automatic interview thing. and with 130places or whatever, it'll be very competitive this year right?

They interview quite a bit more so I wouldn't worry too much about the competition. Everywhere is competitive really
Am I right in saying that anyone who scores >700, whether it'd be 700 or 850, gets 25/25 in the UKCAT section? !!! I wonder why HYMS is putting such a heavy emphasis on the UKCAT this year!
Kust need a bit of advice, i have 2800 average in my UKCAT however my VR score is 470, do you think theres a chance they'll raise the 450 cut off because i'm told they can raise these at any time.

Same! VR is 470, have they raised the cut off before?
Reply 65
I suppose it's not worth applying with a 665 UKCAT? It'd score me 15 points?
Reply 66
heyy, im thinking of applying here

Im a reapplicant, A*AAb
695 UKCAT
5A*,3.5A 1 C

I should have a good chance of getting interviewed right?
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
heyy, im thinking of applying here

Im a reapplicant, A*AAb
695 UKCAT
5A*,3.5A 1 C

I should have a good chance of getting interviewed right?

You wouldn't be guaranteed an interview, but if you have a good PS, you will have a decent chance
Original post by SamEastie
I suppose it's not worth applying with a 665 UKCAT? It'd score me 15 points?

It'll be very risky if I'm honest. Unless you have a very very very good PS, you probably won't do so well, especially when it comes to post interview since they use UKCAT scores as well
Original post by Cephalosporin
Am I right in saying that anyone who scores >700, whether it'd be 700 or 850, gets 25/25 in the UKCAT section? !!! I wonder why HYMS is putting such a heavy emphasis on the UKCAT this year!

You are correct in saying that. I wouldn't say there was a heavy emphasis as the vast majority won't have 2800+, and so the PS will play a big role there. Saying that, the UKCAT I guess does make up a large part of both the pre and post interview decisions
Reply 69
Original post by NikoB
Same! VR is 470, have they raised the cut off before?

I don't know if they have, but more people with higher scores seem to be applying
I don't know if they have, but more people with higher scores seem to be applying

Don't worry , I've done a bit of research and I won't be applying here after all. :smile:
Reply 71
So... after scrutinising the HYMS website, would I be right in thinking that with a UKCAT score great than 2800, I'd be guaranteed an interview (I meet the academic entry requirements).
But what if an increased number of people with really high UKCATs apply here? Could they change their admissions policy after the 15th October deadline?
Original post by itsmagic
So... after scrutinising the HYMS website, would I be right in thinking that with a UKCAT score great than 2800, I'd be guaranteed an interview (I meet the academic entry requirements).
But what if an increased number of people with really high UKCATs apply here? Could they change their admissions policy after the 15th October deadline?

That's what I'm worried about too. What if more than ~400 people apply with UKCAT scores >700? Would they interview more but offer less in comparison?
Reply 73
That's what I'm worried about too. What if more than ~400 people apply with UKCAT scores >700? Would they interview more but offer less in comparison?

I was also a bit unsure about this :confused: how did you do in the ukcat :smile:
Reply 74
Does anybody know if HYMS offer dissection on their course?
I think on their site they say that there's a 430 cut-off for interviews. I'd imagine they'd rank if they get more applicants with 700 than they can accommodate. I got 815 but I always wanted to go to HYMS because of their directed PBL system. I really hope they don't get a flood of applicants who all get interviews...

Original post by itsmagic

All universities reserve the right to alter their admissions process as and when they see fit. They could alter it on Oct. 1st, 14th, 15th or 4th Nov (when they get the UKCAT data and therefore the most likely date out of all four above) to meet their interview quota.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jonnyc
I was also a bit unsure about this :confused: how did you do in the ukcat :smile:

I have no idea how but I did manage to climb over the 700 hurdle for HYMS which I was super pleased about. Out of all the universities I've contacted, HYMS was by far the most helpful and friendly. They even took the effort of assessing my eligibility which was nice. :smile: I'm really hoping to apply here but now I'm not sure because of this change in admissions policy!

Original post by AdamskiUK
I think on their site they say that there's a 430 cut-off for interviews. I'd imagine they'd rank if they get more applicants with 700 than they can accommodate. I got 815 but I always wanted to go to HYMS because of their directed PBL system. I really hope they don't get a flood of applicants who all get interviews...

All universities reserve the right to alter their admissions process as and when they see fit. They could alter it on Oct. 1st, 14th, 15th or 4th Nov (when they get the UKCAT data and therefore the most likely date out of all four above) to meet their interview quota.

That would make sense but I'm really scared they'd simply accommodate everyone by increasing their interview quota. That would translate to a higher interview: offer ratio.

Edit: So I called up the Admissions office. The response I got was the Admissions policy will not be changed and that from previous experience, the % of people who apply to the school scoring >700 is definitely within their interview quota. I hope they realise some people will apply just because they’re now guaranteed an interview rather than applying because they like the school. (It’s not a bad thing because medicine entry is so competitive and knowing you’d be shortlisted for interview by at least one school is pretty awesome!)
(edited 10 years ago)
I have no idea how but I did manage to climb over the 700 hurdle for HYMS which I was super pleased about. Out of all the universities I've contacted, HYMS was by far the most helpful and friendly. They even took the effort of assessing my eligibility which was nice. :smile: I'm really hoping to apply here but now I'm not sure because of this change in admissions policy!

That would make sense but I'm really scared they'd simply accommodate everyone by increasing their interview quota. That would translate to a higher interview: offer ratio.

Edit: So I called up the Admissions office. The response I got was the Admissions policy will not be changed and that from previous experience, the % of people who apply to the school scoring >700 is definitely within their interview quota. I hope they realise some people will apply just because they’re now guaranteed an interview rather than applying because they like the school. (It’s not a bad thing because medicine entry is so competitive and knowing you’d be shortlisted for interview by at least one school is pretty awesome!)

Exactly this.

I really hope that they understand people *will* apply just for the instant interview. I can almost surely guarantee to them that people with >700 will be in their hundreds and may well exceed 400. In fact, I wouldn't mind betting on it right here and right now.

Oh well. They're the ones who'll have to realise their mistake.
I agree with the above, hyms are really shooting themselves in the foot with this 700+ automatic interview.
If it was 750+ fair enough but many will apply just for the interview.
I have a 690 UKCAT and I realllly like HYMS, I wonder if I would have a chance for an interview? Assuming I have a good PS, AAA, top GCSE equivalents?

I'm so afraid of my app getting drowned in the sea of >700s :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending