The Student Room Group

What should i choose?

Hi,

I start Sixth Form in September and subject choices have been tearing me up since they were due in in February. I can't choose between 6: Biology (OCR), Chemistry (AQA), Physics (Edexcel), French (AQA), Spanish (AQA) and Philosophy + Ethics (AQA). Thing is, the majority of combinations work with the blocking so I can't eliminate that way, and they each have pros and cons and I'm struggling to make a decision.

Is anyone else having the same problem? And if anyone takes these courses could you tell me what it's like?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I completely understand where you are coming from and I was in your position a year ago (just finished Year 12 now)
I took AQA French and have friends that took all of your other options.The questions you really need to ask yourself are:

What do I want to do after A-Levels (no matter how vague)
What have I enjoyed at GCSE
How well did I do in these subjects at GCSE

You are best (but not limited to) picking your strongest subjects. Also do not underestimate the work load of each subject. If you had to pick 4 today what would you pick and what would be your concerns about what you have/haven't chosen?
Unless you want to do languages at university, I wouldn't advise taking 2 languages as mainly the workload is huge especially if you're not fluent but if you think you can handle it then go for that.

As for the other subjects, I'd just do what you think is your strongest as AletiaL says above. Also what you want to do at uni/after A Levels is important.
Reply 3
Original post by AletiaL
I completely understand where you are coming from and I was in your position a year ago (just finished Year 12 now)
I took AQA French and have friends that took all of your other options.The questions you really need to ask yourself are:

What do I want to do after A-Levels (no matter how vague)
What have I enjoyed at GCSE
How well did I do in these subjects at GCSE

You are best (but not limited to) picking your strongest subjects. Also do not underestimate the work load of each subject. If you had to pick 4 today what would you pick and what would be your concerns about what you have/haven't chosen?

Original post by Superunknown17
Unless you want to do languages at university, I wouldn't advise taking 2 languages as mainly the workload is huge especially if you're not fluent but if you think you can handle it then go for that.

As for the other subjects, I'd just do what you think is your strongest as AletiaL says above. Also what you want to do at uni/after A Levels is important.

Thank you!

Degree-wise, I don't know whether I want to go for medicine or languages with philosophy or just a language, so essentially I think that's where I need to make my mind up. Is language workload massive compared to other subjects then?

The only one I'm nailed on doing is P+E because it's ridiculous how much I enjoy that subject and how well I get on with the teachers. Enjoymentwise then it would go the languages followed by the sciences, but if I take both languages I completely rule out the medicine route. However, the thought of dropping French or Spanish makes my heart sink. I've asked about the express French course (essentially Further Maths for French, you do the AS course in about half the teaching time) but it isn't popular enough.

My current submission is the 3 Sciences and P+E, but I don't feel that's the right choice. Should I wait until August 22nd (results day) and let that influence my decision?
Reply 4
Original post by Molly_xox
Thank you!

Degree-wise, I don't know whether I want to go for medicine or languages with philosophy or just a language, so essentially I think that's where I need to make my mind up. Is language workload massive compared to other subjects then?

The only one I'm nailed on doing is P+E because it's ridiculous how much I enjoy that subject and how well I get on with the teachers. Enjoymentwise then it would go the languages followed by the sciences, but if I take both languages I completely rule out the medicine route. However, the thought of dropping French or Spanish makes my heart sink. I've asked about the express French course (essentially Further Maths for French, you do the AS course in about half the teaching time) but it isn't popular enough.

My current submission is the 3 Sciences and P+E, but I don't feel that's the right choice. Should I wait until August 22nd (results day) and let that influence my decision?

If the "thought of dropping French or Spanish makes (your) heart sink," take them. I was in a similar position with French at GCSE. I was scared about the workload of AS, but hated the idea of not learning more about the language. Have no idea how I've done in the exam, so may not be the best source of information...but I'd say the workload is fine, as long as you have the interest in the subject to be continually practising it everyday. The amount I've learnt in a year is awesome; I can now write/speak on skype to Francophone friends independently (without cheating using google translate), can read books in it, watch TV and understand a fair amount. You'll get out of a language what you put in, you sound like you have the passion, and if you do, doing little things every day like watching a bit of French TV (you can access French Euronews on Virgin and TV5monde on Sky) will make it perfectly manageable...and give you an invaluable life skill. Obviously if medicine is the most important thing, don't take them though. All I can really say is just do what you feel is right and take whatever you feel you will enjoy dedicating your time to learning about over the next 2 years :tongue: Ppl on here often knock languages and their workload, but if you have a knack for them and the commitment to do them, they are realllly rewarding. (And the only subject where chatting to others/watching TV etc counts as very effective revision). :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kawai
If the "thought of dropping French or Spanish makes (your) heart sink," take them. I was in a similar position with French at GCSE. I was scared about the workload of AS, but hated the idea of not learning more about the language. Have no idea how I've done in the exam, so may not be the best source of information...but I'd say the workload is fine, as long as you have the interest in the subject to be continually practising it everyday. The amount I've learnt in a year is awesome; I can now write/speak on skype to Francophone friends independently (without cheating using google translate), can read books in it, watch TV and understand a fair amount. You'll get out of a language what you put in, you sound like you have the passion, and if you do, doing little things every day like watching a bit of French TV (you can access French Euronews on Virgin and TV5monde on Sky) will make it perfectly manageable...and give you an invaluable life skill. Obviously if medicine is the most important thing, don't take them though. All I can really say is just do what you feel is right and take whatever you feel you will enjoy dedicating your time to learning about over the next 2 years :tongue: Ppl on here often knock languages and their workload, but if you have a knack for them and the commitment to do them, they are realllly rewarding. (And the only subject where chatting to others/watching TV etc counts as very effective revision). :wink:

Thank you :smile:

Your thing about watching TV for revision, I listened to the radio for both at GCSE and read Le Monde and the Spanish equivalent (I can't remember what it's called). I found the French reading and Spanish listening quite difficult in the exam but I don't normally score below 35 on either, but the papers were difficult (there were 8 marks on Easter where I had no idea what they were saying) so who knows :P I have a Parallel text for Spanish to help me with vocab and it's useful so I might get a French one too. :smile:

Medicine... I just don't really know. The actual medicine interests me, but not the actual administration of the medicine. I like the theory and not the practice...so maybe that makes the decision. Human biology really interests me but A-Level is a lot about plants so I don't know whether I'd find it boring...hmm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for two languages and two sciences so that:
If you still can't make up your mind about doing medicine at uni, you could go for a biology degree (or something similar). After that, if you decide you absolutely want to do medicine then you could go for the graduate entry route. :smile:
Or if you decide earlier on (say middle of your first year of a-levels), you could drop a language for the second year and take either physics or maths :smile: as you only need the 3rd science to AS.

I'm in a similar situation to you - I love languages but I also love the thought of medicine.. however I think I'm going to go for medicine - besides, I could always learn a language later on in life if I wanted to :h: there are websites like Duolingo which you can learn a lot from.
Reply 7
Original post by Ninjasrule
I'd go for two languages and two sciences so that:
If you still can't make up your mind about doing medicine at uni, you could go for a biology degree (or something similar). After that, if you decide you absolutely want to do medicine then you could go for the graduate entry route. :smile:
Or if you decide earlier on (say middle of your first year of a-levels), you could drop a language for the second year and take either physics or maths :smile: as you only need the 3rd science to AS.

I'm in a similar situation to you - I love languages but I also love the thought of medicine.. however I think I'm going to go for medicine - besides, I could always learn a language later on in life if I wanted to :h: there are websites like Duolingo which you can learn a lot from.

But yeah, I was thinking that, until you bring in the fact that Philosophy and Ethics tops everything for me; enjoyment, teachers, predicted grades at GCSE, interest...that it's difficult...my family has told me to do one language, then it's deciding which to drop...

I'm sure ill figure it out 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

But yeah, I was thinking that, until you bring in the fact that Philosophy and Ethics tops everything for me; enjoyment, teachers, predicted grades at GCSE, interest...that it's difficult...my family has told me to do one language, then it's deciding which to drop...

I'm sure ill figure it out ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome and yes we should! XD

Ahh right, I see... it does sound quite interesting :smile:

You haven't talked about physics very much so, maybe you should take the other 5 subjects and then within the first couple of weeks, drop the one you find least enjoyable? Remember that the content is quite different to GCSE so read through each specification if you really want to decide before going back to sixth form

If you are going to drop a language, drop the one you find slightly more difficult... a lot of people find Spanish easier but if they do take both, they find that they compliment each other quite well.

I decided on Spanish because I find it more enjoyable and easier to get to grips with. The only thing I don't like about languages are the grammar rules hahah.

If you decide to stick with Spanish, maybe we could help each other out? :biggrin: (I'm also on the same exam board as you for biology, which I've already started on... I could give you a link if you wish?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
You're welcome and yes we should! XD

Ahh right, I see... it does sound quite interesting :smile:

You haven't talked about physics very much so, maybe you should take the other 5 subjects and then within the first couple of weeks, drop the one you find least enjoyable? Remember that the content is quite different to GCSE so read through each specification if you really want to decide before going back to sixth form

If you are going to drop a language, drop the one you find slightly more difficult... a lot of people find Spanish easier but if they do take both, they find that they compliment each other quite well.

I decided on Spanish because I find it more enjoyable and easier to get to grips with. The only thing I don't like about languages are the grammar rules hahah.

If you decide to stick with Spanish, maybe we could help each other out? :biggrin: (I'm also on the same exam board as you for biology, which I've already started on... I could give you a link if you wish?)

I like the physics staff, I'm just not great at maths (I can get an A* at GCSE I'm just no prodigy which the rest of my class seems to be). I actually think all 5 fits with the blocking, so I'll have to see if they let you do that at my school :biggrin:

I find French easier to write and have taken it for four years longer but Spanish easier to say, but I don't know the weighings of each component. I think if I did choose a language I'd choose Spanish because I was speaking to a relatively good friend in the year above and he said the Spanish department has better support.

Call me a geek but I love other languages' grammar :biggrin: I'm great at forming it, but not great at using it, like the subjunctive, I can form it and I know the Spanish use it all the time but I cannot implement it correctly at all :s-smilie:

Helping each other sounds like a great plan! And if it wouldn't be too much trouble, yes please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like the physics staff, I'm just not great at maths (I can get an A* at GCSE I'm just no prodigy which the rest of my class seems to be). I actually think all 5 fits with the blocking, so I'll have to see if they let you do that at my school :biggrin:

I find French easier to write and have taken it for four years longer but Spanish easier to say, but I don't know the weighings of each component. I think if I did choose a language I'd choose Spanish because I was speaking to a relatively good friend in the year above and he said the Spanish department has better support.

Call me a geek but I love other languages' grammar :biggrin: I'm great at forming it, but not great at using it, like the subjunctive, I can form it and I know the Spanish use it all the time but I cannot implement it correctly at all :s-smilie:

Helping each other sounds like a great plan! And if it wouldn't be too much trouble, yes please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw heheh, good! I hope they do... otherwise people often don't really know what they're getting themselves into. They should have taster days for the subjects instead of us walking in and not knowing what the subjects are going to be like!

Oh right, I wonder why you find French easier to write XD surely it's harder with silent letters and different accents? I started both and the same time and have always found Spanish easier to remember (although my teacher had a big influence on that I guess).

You're probably better off with French then if you find writing easier because the "Listening, Reading and Writing" accounts for 70% of AS, 35% of A Level (2 hours in the first year, 2 and a half in the second year). The "Speaking Test" accounts for 30% at AS and 15% at A Level (both are 35 minutes and they include 20 minutes of preparation time).

If you get more practice it'll come easier to you :smile: I can never remember any of it but I suppose I'll have to this year! XD

Wehayy, I'll add you as a friend after I've posted this then :grin:

It's no problem at all, this is for the whole of AS: http://asbiology101.wordpress.com/downloads/
Reply 11
Aw heheh, good! I hope they do... otherwise people often don't really know what they're getting themselves into. They should have taster days for the subjects instead of us walking in and not knowing what the subjects are going to be like!

Oh right, I wonder why you find French easier to write XD surely it's harder with silent letters and different accents? I started both and the same time and have always found Spanish easier to remember (although my teacher had a big influence on that I guess).

You're probably better off with French then if you find writing easier because the "Listening, Reading and Writing" accounts for 70% of AS, 35% of A Level (2 hours in the first year, 2 and a half in the second year). The "Speaking Test" accounts for 30% at AS and 15% at A Level (both are 35 minutes and they include 20 minutes of preparation time).

If you get more practice it'll come easier to you :smile: I can never remember any of it but I suppose I'll have to this year! XD

Wehayy, I'll add you as a friend after I've posted this then :grin:

It's no problem at all, this is for the whole of AS: http://asbiology101.wordpress.com/downloads/

We had taster lessons but they weren't for most subjects (only Economics, Business Studies, Philosophy, Maths, Biology and Politics) and you could only choose two.

Gosh it's really weird right? I can't spell English words, I can barely speak the language (I mix up the sounds of my own native language, good one Mol) but French I've never had that problem and once you nail down Spanish sounds Spanish is simple :') because there are no accents in English I try really hard the learn where accents go (y) plus with certain words I'll remember they wear a hat (eg dû) or there's a pregnant c (eg français) or they're smiling (eg güay) so that makes it easier in both languages :')

I have massive influences by my Spanish teachers, there's only two and they're lovely - bonkers but lovely. The guy I had for GCSE French was great too, if a bit of a push over. Thing is, I'm not sure about the other French teachers which is a big deciding factor because my enjoyment is heavily based upon the teacher (that's really bad, what's worse is I don't enjoy subjects I'm not naturally good at, if I suck I'm less inclined to try, problem with English language) so yeah. Might go see the academic head on results day and see what she thinks, but by the looks of things it's Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and <language>.

Woo! :biggrin:

Thank you so much :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey I've just finished my AS's and here's a few things I've picked up:

1. Don't assume that because you liked it at GCSE you'll like it at A level. I did that with chemistry (which just so happens to be the hardest A level subject there is) and I don't think it's ended too well. At GCSE I really liked the teacher, I enjoyed the experiments and found what we learnt interesting, but it wasn't until I started AS chemistry that I realised I wasn't that interested and was actually doing terribly. (NOTE: This isn't specific to chemistry - the moral isn't don't do chemistry it's don't do a subject you're not super interested in just because you need a 4th subject and you liked it at GCSE.)

2. Only study subjects you're really passionate about and are genuinely interested in. It'll make studying so much easier.

3. You need 2 sciency subjects to study a science at university but "sciency" subjects aren't just bio chem and phys it's also Geography, Psychology, maths and further maths. If you don't believe me my cousin did a degree in biology at the Uni of Leicester after doing A level biology, geography and art plus AS sociology.

4. Ok this isn't a "tip" but it sounds like you really enjoy your languages and are really good at them so maybe you should do both? What you've said suggests you could handle 2 languages at once.

idk just really listen to 1 and 2 because no-one told me about those ones when I was in your position.
If you have not checked the exam timetable for next year, I would strongly advise you to take that into account as well. I did not do so, and ended up with 6 hours of exams on one day, which really is a waste of effort, since I could feel my grades drop in that last hour of exams. Some people had more than 6 hours, so would have had to stay over at a teacher's house, but they decided to drop a subject in May to avoid the stress of all that. Maybe finding a combination of AS subjects that gives you 6 hours in one day may swing your decision if you are on the margin.

Quick Reply

Latest