Perhaps novel RAF medical entry problem Watch

This discussion is closed.
Henry234
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
When I was at secondary school, I totally hated games, mainly because I completely despised playing team sports and because one of the games masters had a bit of a bullying streak. Being 12 or so at the time, I tried other ways of not doing games.

I tried to get off on medical grounds, so pretended to my parents that I got short of breath sometimes. Whilst never diagnosed as having asthma or anything like that, I was prescribed an inhaler to use, which not having a problem I never did.

Of course now in later life this is coming back to kick me in the face as it will show up on my medical record, and I would imagine bar me from entry for air crew. Can anything be done about this, ie an honest open letter to the recruiting people, or have I screwed myself over?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Unfortunately you may have; I know of at least one person refused entry to a UAS as a pilot due to a history of inhaler use. In their case it was absolutely nothing to do with asthma or shortage of breath, it was actually performance-enhancing to help with athletics.

I'm afraid you probably fall under the same umbrella as potentially excellent pilots with poor eyesight, discussed at length in these pages. The RAF can afford to be picky, and can therefore drop complicated cases such as yours. The potential problem is this; if you're not truthful (not saying you are!) then the RAF's in a lot of trouble if they let you through and an asthma attack makes you stack your Harrier into a school in five years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Henry234
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Fair enough, ce la vie as they say (although it's probably spelt incorrectly...)

The main thing for me, as opposed to many others that I can see on this forum, is that flying isn't the be all and end all for me, and I am still elegible for ground crew.

At the end of the day, I am 6'3", so I may well not have the correct antropometric sizes for flying anyway. I am also very interested in either in the roles of fighter controller or intellegence, so all is not lost!
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
I myself am not at all fussed whether I fly or not. My primary branch choice is ATC, but if I'm asked to take a flying branch, I'll surely consider it.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%