Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For someone who likes Radiohead and REM, I really didn't think I could get into RATM.

So for the past few days I've spent my time trying to pull off Tom Morello's Killswitch technique (:eek:), needless to say it didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    They rock, simple as. Tom has to be one of the craziest guitarists ever, watching him do all that funky stuff live is immense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowputty)
    For someone who likes Radiohead and REM, I really didn't think I could get into RATM.

So for the past few days I've spent my time trying to pull off Tom Morello's Killswitch technique (:eek:), needless to say it didn't work.
    Radiohead, REM, RATM :love:

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those generation which got into RATM just too late to see them live. One of my biggest regrets *sob*

awesome, perhaps my favourite band of all time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I'm one of those generation which got into RATM just too late to see them live. One of my biggest regrets *sob*

my bro saw them at their last uk gig and i have a bill board from outside the gig in my bedroom (which he ripped off the wall.... massive thick cardboard thing)

ratm do rule

the killswitch technique becomes a hell of a lot easier when you have a killswitch in the right place on your guitar. bullet in the head tho.... eeeeek its so difficult to get the allan key scraping and kill switch and then back to normal picking and then back to wierdness about 6 times throughout the song. where do you put the shizzle when not using it!??

i conclude that morello sucks at guitar

ReputationRep:
    i wish i could of seen them live...but i was really young and didnt know them when they played gigs

ReputationRep:
    All their music sounds the same, I appreciate bands having their own 'sound' but they all sound the same to me.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think Tom Morello is a fantastic guitarist.

RATM are good for driving to, and for listening to when you're angry. Gets all the frustration out without becoming violent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)

Same here- They played Reading Festival the year before I started going (2000). Arghhhhhhhhhh... frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    They introduced me, and no doubt thousands of other kids, to Left-Wing Politics, ah gotta love 'em.

ReputationRep:
    Battle and RATM are brilliant, cept a couple of tracks like Mic Check (too (c)rappy), Renegades is ok-ish but nothin special and Evil Empire fails to offer any stand out tracks for me.

Best track: Sleep Now in The Fire or Killing in the Name of

ReputationRep:
    I love RATM - the love for Tom Morello is definitely justified (he's written some of the best riffs I've ever heard) but come on now! Where's the appreciation for Zack de la Rocha? This guy is a kick-ass lyricist!

Examples:

'Why stand on a silent platform? Fight the war - f*** the norm!'

Township Rebellion

And:

'Silence! Something about silence makes me sick! Cos silence can be violent sorta like a slit wrist!'

Fistful Of Steel

And:

'Just victims of the in-house drive-by - they say "jump!" you say "how high?"'

Bullet In The Head

And not forgetting:

'Some of those that work forces... are the same that burn crosses!'

Killing In The Name

My favourite album is definitely their debut self-titled. Fave songs overall would be Killing In The Name, Wake Up, Calm Like A Bomb, Take The Power Back and Fistful Of Steel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decent_Jam)
    Evil Empire fails to offer any stand out tracks for me
    Does your copy not have 'Bulls on Parade' on it then?

That's one of their best songs.

RATM own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Z)
    'Silence! Something about silence makes me sick! Cos silence can be violent sorta like a slit wrist!'
    That's possibly my favourite de la Rocha line.

Love these as well:

I'll give you a dose but it could never come close to the rage
    Built up inside a me
    Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Rally round the family! With a pocket full of shells

It has to start somewhere It has to start sometime
    What better place than here, what better time than now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the victory james)
    That's possibly my favourite de la Rocha line.

Love these as well:

I'll give you a dose but it could never come close to the rage
    Built up inside a me
    Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Rally round the family! With a pocket full of shells

It has to start somewhere It has to start sometime
    What better place than here, what better time than now?
    RATM are absolutely great!

Although I have only one album and perhaps my opinion is slightly less relevant than others but I truely believe they have one of the best sounds out there. To merge two styles of music, metal and rap, so successfully together is incredible, but for it to create brilliant music? It's testemant to the band, isn't it?

On another note I also like Radiohead and R.E.M. as well as Rage.

ReputationRep:
    I loathe R.E.M, Radiohead I kinda half like. 'Kid A' is a really good album.

ReputationRep:
    don't forget the song "Darkness (of greed)"

Ya cram ya culture down my throat
    Say I'm inferior when I find that I choke
    Ya fill my mind with a false sense of history
    And then you wonder why I have no identity?
    Well I'll strike a match and it'll catch and
    Spread the insight we need
    A tiny fire, burning bright
    Shedding light on the darkness of greed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the victory james)
    Does your copy not have 'Bulls on Parade' on it then?

That's one of their best songs.

RATM own.
    I know the name of it because it's second, hang on I'll listen to it now...

Yeah alright I do remember the riff, still not too impressed, it's no Know Your Enemy or Killing... in terms of musical style or quality really, the last 30 seconds is the best, where there's actually some energy in the drumming and it all comes together nicely.

Ah well, I like Audioslave better, I'm not so into the whole 'fu ck authority' thing, once you've done it once it gets a bit boring really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so into the whole 'fu ck authority' thing, once you've done it once it gets a bit boring really.
    Don't you listen to stuff like Fall Out Boy though?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I like Audioslave better,
    get out..:p:

Bulls on parade is awesome, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AehvKHh2KCI

I like year of the boomarang and down roadeo off the album too, its a quality album, but obviously 3rd best of the 3

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.