Would you date anyone with Autism or Aspergers?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Mrx123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As the question says, would you date anyone boy or girl if you knew they had Autism or a form of Aspergers?

If so or If not then what is your reason?
Galileo Galilei
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, why not.
VladThe1mpaler
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends on how severe it was. Some people with severe autism cannot even speak so it all depends really.
tibbles209
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it was an extremely severe form of autism that could make a relationship very difficult, however if they just had mild/moderate aspergers but were able to have relationships then sure
LJStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see any reason why this should restrict a relationship with someone. My brother has Autism and he's rather excitable at times and a complete computer-addict but he's a good person on the inside. For me personally I wouldn't have a problem with it, obviously I wouldn't go out of my way just to date someone with Autism/Aspergers but it shouldn't matter in the long term.

Why did you feel the need to ask this question? It seems very insensitive on your part.
LJStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mrx123)
As the question says, would you date anyone boy or girl if you knew they had Autism or a form of Aspergers?
Is this implying a mild/moderate form of Autism/Aspergers? I assume this because it's normally obviously when someone has an strong Autistic Spectrum disorder when you meet them and talk to them. My older brother has mild Aspergers and is perfectly normal.
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
(Original post by LJStudent)
Is this implying a mild/moderate form of Autism/Aspergers? I assume this because it's normally obviously when someone has an strong Autistic Spectrum disorder when you meet them and talk to them. My older brother has mild Aspergers and is perfectly normal.
any mild or severe
LJStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
any mild or severe
Having Autism or Aspergers shouldn't affect your judgement on a person. Deliberately not dating someone because you knew they had Aspergers if it was mild/unnoticeable is pathetic.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
Having Autism or Aspergers shouldn't affect your judgement on a person. Deliberately not dating someone because you knew they had Aspergers if it was mild/unnoticeable is pathetic.
I agree, I have mild Aspergers
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes because i'm not shallow enough to not be with someone just because they had autism or aspergers.
AmieLeigh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my boyfriend has aspergers and although it can exacerbate any communication issues we have and sometimes makes me feel like he's not as interested in, or understanding of, my feelings as i'd like it certainly doesn't cause any problems and we've been very happy for 8 months. i should add that we both have mental health issues on top of that and mine include a huge need for reassurance, stability and emotional support, all of which he is incredibly good at, so really in my experience aspergers has fairly little impact on a relationship.
LJStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree, I have mild Aspergers
Glad to see someone agrees with me There is a lot of stigma surrounding it.
spocckka
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
100% no, the asbergers kid at school made life unbearable sometimes
Mrx123
Rep:
?
Glad to see someone agrees with me There is a lot of stigma surrounding it.
right back at you
LJStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spocckka)
Really? It's that bad? You make me sick. How can you let one person colour your judgement of others? Are you really that shallow?
Izzyeviel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would. I would win every argument.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
(Original post by spocckka)
Aspergers....Asbergers.....oh dear
Ayesha1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know. I guess I'd be open to it, I'd definitely get to know them and give them a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jmz34
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aspergers....Asbergers.....oh dear
It's a joke related to the South Park episode.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (56)
24.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise