I have been doing up the shed and clearing bits of broken ceiling in order to put a mains cable through.
However somebody informs me the ceiling could be made of abestos.
Some of this dust may have ended up in my lungs, if it has it is extremely dangerious or do you need to inhail a lot?
I am worried now.
My advice is to simply go see a doctor and discuss what happened. It's better to be safe then sorry.
hmm how old is the shed? do u own it or someone else?
were u wearing a mask or anything
Its a built in shed, so its apart of the house, i.e like a coal shed, it was built in 1906.
According to that Canadian thing the risk depends on how long you were exposed to and how freqeuntly so I should be ok, I just need to be extremely careful in sweeping it up and just bored the ceiling up.
"The risk of developing asbestos-related disease depends on a number of factors including cumulative dose, time since last exposure and the type and size of asbestos fibres. There is usually a long delay between the first exposure to asbestos fibres and the diagnosis of disease; this ranges from between 15 to as many as 60 years"
Was the asbestos dry? that would make it more dangerous but i doubt you have been exposed to enough for much damage to have been done.
ummm, call the council? Not only are you at risk but your neighbours too. Can't be too careful!
I am phoning the council now.
Welcome to Manchester City Council.
To better address your call please press one of the buttons for each service:
If you've fallen over and want to sue the council, press one
If you've forgotten to pay your council tax, press two
If you've eaten too much chips/gravy press three
If you've been playing with dangerous substances, like asbestos or anthrax, press 4
If you want to whinge, complain, comment, ask or refer, please direct all enquiries to the nearest wall.
You should be fine, but yeah, get the professionals in to do it and leave the shed alone in the meantime.
The house I spent most of the first 18 years of my life in was asbestos central. Oh yes.
you should be fine but id get it check anyway. People worked for years and years with asbestos before they knew it was bad for you, so i suppose a day or 2 wouldnt be that much of a problem...
I have spoken to a builder and he reckons it will be plaster and lathe which is harmless. Also asbestos wasn't generaly used in houses built before 1930 so it should be fine.
I still need the coucil to check it though, I have not managed to get in touch with them yet, when you ring the absestos department it just rings out.
Probably because it's lunchtime.
1 fibre can be enough to cause cancer later on in life.