I think I may have been exposed to absestos Watch

AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I have been doing up the shed and clearing bits of broken ceiling in order to put a mains cable through.

However somebody informs me the ceiling could be made of abestos.

Some of this dust may have ended up in my lungs, if it has it is extremely dangerious or do you need to inhail a lot?

I am worried now.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/envir...amiante_e.html
Powersymphonia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
I have been doing up the shed and clearing bits of broken ceiling in order to put a mains cable through.

However somebody informs me the ceiling could be made of abestos.

Some of this dust may have ended up in my lungs, if it has it is extremely dangerious or do you need to inhail a lot?

I am worried now.
Even a slight inhailation could cause problems. Asbestos itself doesn't make you ill, but the chemicals within it have been known to cause cancer. So I'd advise you to see your doctor. You should always wear a dust mask and gloves, hope you did. 99% you'll be fine though.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My advice is to simply go see a doctor and discuss what happened. It's better to be safe then sorry.
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hmm how old is the shed? do u own it or someone else?

were u wearing a mask or anything
AT82
Rep:
?
Its a built in shed, so its apart of the house, i.e like a coal shed, it was built in 1906.

According to that Canadian thing the risk depends on how long you were exposed to and how freqeuntly so I should be ok, I just need to be extremely careful in sweeping it up and just bored the ceiling up.
Maya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"The risk of developing asbestos-related disease depends on a number of factors including cumulative dose, time since last exposure and the type and size of asbestos fibres. There is usually a long delay between the first exposure to asbestos fibres and the diagnosis of disease; this ranges from between 15 to as many as 60 years"

Was the asbestos dry? that would make it more dangerous but i doubt you have been exposed to enough for much damage to have been done.
AT82
Rep:
?
Yep it was try, a lot of dust did fall, but there is all sorts of material there so it could have been anything.

I don't actually know it it is abestos.

This is the ceiling I am talking about

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1150051751
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ummm, call the council? Not only are you at risk but your neighbours too. Can't be too careful!
aleathiel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Its a built in shed, so its apart of the house, i.e like a coal shed, it was built in 1906.

According to that Canadian thing the risk depends on how long you were exposed to and how freqeuntly so I should be ok, I just need to be extremely careful in sweeping it up and just bored the ceiling up.

oh thats the kinda shed we have on our house except my dad converted it into a bedroom!
AT82
Rep:
?
I am phoning the council now.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good boy!

Welcome to Manchester City Council.

To better address your call please press one of the buttons for each service:

If you've fallen over and want to sue the council, press one
If you've forgotten to pay your council tax, press two
If you've eaten too much chips/gravy press three
If you've been playing with dangerous substances, like asbestos or anthrax, press 4
If you want to whinge, complain, comment, ask or refer, please direct all enquiries to the nearest wall.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You should be fine, but yeah, get the professionals in to do it and leave the shed alone in the meantime.

The house I spent most of the first 18 years of my life in was asbestos central. Oh yes.
aleathiel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
Good boy!

Welcome to Manchester City Council.

To better address your call please press one of the buttons for each service:

If you've fallen over and want to sue the council, press one
If you've forgotten to pay your council tax, press two
If you've eaten too much chips/gravy press three
If you've been playing with dangerous substances, like asbestos or anthrax, press 4
If you want to whinge, complain, comment, ask or refer, please direct all enquiries to the nearest wall.
they should have an option for if you've eaten too much chocolate icecream :eek: :puke:
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you should be fine but id get it check anyway. People worked for years and years with asbestos before they knew it was bad for you, so i suppose a day or 2 wouldnt be that much of a problem...
AT82
Rep:
?
I have spoken to a builder and he reckons it will be plaster and lathe which is harmless. Also asbestos wasn't generaly used in houses built before 1930 so it should be fine.

I still need the coucil to check it though, I have not managed to get in touch with them yet, when you ring the absestos department it just rings out.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
I have spoken to a builder and he reckons it will be plaster and lathe which is harmless. Also asbestos wasn't generaly used in houses built before 1930 so it should be fine.

I still need the coucil to check it though, I have not managed to get in touch with them yet, when you ring the absestos department it just rings out.
They're all too busy coughing their lungs up to speak :p:
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Probably because it's lunchtime.
nina_100
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My whole school was made of asbestos and they've only just realised so now all the kids have to have there lessons in temp wooden huts :p: , it never killed me, but theres time!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1 fibre can be enough to cause cancer later on in life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads